Old Man on Pawn Stars has Lumia 920

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it's been noted before, but it was definitely apparent on the new Pawn Stars tonight. The Old Man held one up, although it looked like it could have been a Lumia 900.

I think several of the them have a Windows Phone, and it doesn't appear to be intentional product placement.

Lukas Akerlund

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Old Man sure knows what's good! Pawn Stars is a great show!
Windows Phones are growing, and the OS is, if not better, equivalent to Android. iOS is just "fancy".

Do you have a link to any picture that shows any of them using it?

AeroSatan

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I like Nokias hardware, I really do, even though the 920 seems to be full of issues i.e. dust under the front panel, inductive charging issues, over heating, weighing a ton and having a pretty mediocre battery life....but claiming that Windows 8 OS is " If not better, equivalent to Android" just shows what a ****** you really are. {Perhaps it's better than Android Gingerbread.....But as far as the latest Jelly Bean is concerned Windows 8 is in the Ice Age...with it's lack of a Unified Notification System, it lack of control for various volume control, it's absolutely horrid selection of apps and so on and so forth.....

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I like Nokias hardware, I really do, even though the 920 seems to be full of issues i.e. dust under the front panel, inductive charging issues, over heating, weighing a ton and having a pretty mediocre battery life....but claiming that Windows 8 OS is " If not better, equivalent to Android" just shows what a ****** you really are. {Perhaps it's better than Android Gingerbread.....But as far as the latest Jelly Bean is concerned Windows 8 is in the Ice Age...with it's lack of a Unified Notification System, it lack of control for various volume control, it's absolutely horrid selection of apps and so on and so forth.....

I have a 920, yes there is dust under the ff camera but you don't notice it when taking pictures ( I don't even use the ff camera ), no problems with charging, no problems with overheating, no problems with weight(because I'm not a f****** *****), I agree on the mediocre battery life though(I use the dc-16) and I personally think the app selection is fine because I am not missing any important apps (although I can definitely understand if other people are missing apps which I don't care about)

Last edited:

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Really? You gotta dirty this thread with this BS? You know Android is missing features too right? I've used the latest and greatest Android (S3) and its definitely not better than Windows Phone. WP has features Android doesn't have, so get over it.

In regards to this Pawn Stars episode, I have it recorded so I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.

Nukey Pearce

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I like Nokias hardware, I really do

After reading your post, it's apparent you don't. You are just trying to be polite.

even though the 920 seems to be full of issues i.e. dust under the front panel

This was with the initial batches of certain stocks of Lumia 920. Every device has manufacturing issues, and they are resolved shortly after launch, like the 920 was.

inductive charging issues

This has affected a very small number of units. The majority of complaints are isolated - i.e. People only specifically signing up to websites to slate a product. It's a known fact that people don't come online to say "wow, this has worked flawlessly for me". They come online to say "I can't believe this doesn't work properly!". The majority will always be complaining, that's the way it goes.

As for particular issues with inductive charging, I have only managed to find a small handful of issues online surrounding this?

over heating

It depends on your definition of overheating. The device getting warm does not constitute overheating; overheating refers to temperatures outside of the normal operating guidelines. The operating limitations of the Lumia 920 are actually quite high.

Yes there have been instances where the temperature has stopped SIM cards from working, and I'm not denying that - however the cause of the overheating is power consumption. Excess power consumption converts to heat, and it has to go somewhere. If you are using the phone solid with the screen on full brightness, while charging the same time, while browsing the Internet it's bound to get warm. The same as any other device. It just appears to feel worse than it really is because of the material used for the casing.

I'm not denying there is an issue but you make it sound like there have been mass recalls of phones due to patients ending up in A&E being burned by their Lumia 920s. That's not the case. A small percentage of overheating issues are genuine hardware faults, and the remainder are just due to excessive usage.

weighing a ton

It is also known that a large percentage of users do not really care about the fact the phone weighs more than most other handsets. Reviewers simply state that as a minus point because they like to nit-pick to extremes, just to tally up as many minus-points as possible. That's how reviewers work - unless they're biased of course.
Reviewers aside - I have seen numerous comments online where people have clearly stated that the "weight isn't an issue for me".

A little extra weight, as negative as it may seem, to some, are indicative of the quality of a product. It shows there's a lot packed in there, and due to said weight, entices people to look after their devices more carefully (actively being careful not to drop it, buy phone guards/socks/cases, whatever). That's never a bad thing as the devices are looked after a lot better.

and having a pretty mediocre battery life....
2,000mAh is not a mediocre capacity. While it's not the best, it's actually middle of the road. Please see this link, and search for "Lumia 920" - The Smartphone Fifty | The best battery life for your dollar (full list)

There are 286 phones in total listed, of which the Lumia 920 is in 152nd place. Sounds more towards "middle of the road" than "mediocre". There are plenty of more reputable makes and models far lower in the list. Also, don't forget that when this database was compiled, the 1308 firmware wasn't released, which has actually improved the battery life a lot since then.

but claiming that Windows 8 OS is " If not better, equivalent to Android" just shows what a ****** you really are."
So saying that Windows Phone is equal to Android is being a "******"? - Seems to me that if you don't like Android being equally compared to other competitors, even in a fair light, that makes you the ******, not us, for refusing to accept that there are acceptable alternatives out there. It's not about saying "one is better than the other", it's about saying that others do exist and that people do have a choice.

{Perhaps it's better than Android Gingerbread.....But as far as the latest Jelly Bean is concerned Windows 8 is in the Ice Age...

That is your opinion, and of course you are entitled to your own views. Whether they are right or not is a totally different matter.

with it's lack of a Unified Notification System

Admittedly not all apps provide live updating on their tiles, and this may be due to limitations, but somewhat from Microsoft's end. Of course this is something which Microsoft are looking in to with perspective developers. So far, there has been a call out for a notification centre, because it's what people are used to on other platforms, so they want it as well. For the vast majority, however, they are happy with the system the way it is. MS need to develop a notification centre carefully if that is the way they want to go - and make sure it doesn't turn out like the mess Android's was. Rushing out an Android-esque notification centre isn't the answer. Getting it right while retaining the look and feel of WP, is.

And if the rumours are true, there should be a notification appearing in future updates, if that's your kinda thing.

it lack of control for various volume control

It's been shown recently on some forums that users prefer the simplicity of the single volume control. While a separate volume control for system/media would be a bonus, it also begs the question of how they would implement this. Having to go in to the settings every time just to turn the ringer down would be a tedious task. Maybe dynamically switching the volume option for the main two keys while media is being played would work? Who knows. Either way, it's not something which truly breaks the OS.

, it's absolutely horrid selection of apps and so on and so forth.....

Oh for goodness sake. Not this again. 150,000+ apps not enough for you? it's aggressive posts like yours which HINDER the growth of the OS. If people like you spread hate of it (pointing to the silly "******" comment you made), instead of providing constructive criticism and showing ways of how to better the system overall, app developers will obviously steer clear. You need to break out of the "vicious circle" of "fanboyism" and just accept the fact that things are getting better for WP, albeit slowly. Maybe then, when the hate stops and the acceptance starts, there will be more support for it.

Nukey

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

LOL...i can admit my Lumia 920 isn't perfect. It's really funny though that you call that guy a WP8 ******, yet your response above shouldn't be considered Android ****** material? ....come on haha

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Android is missing the biggest feature of all, the feature where it works. Although it does have one feature my 920 doesn't have, it's the one where I throw it against a brick wall at 70mph when I have had enough. Most people on this forum aren't really looking for that feature tho so.... yea....

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
the 920 seems to be full of issues i.e. dust under the front panel, inductive charging issues, over heating, weighing a ton and having a pretty mediocre battery life....

Agreed on that. Also agreed that android has more features.
Some people may need those many extra features, thousands more apps etc.

However after 2 years on a contract android phones (at least the ones ive used in the past) don't hold up too well (both software and hardware).
iOS and Windows Phone I feel hold up a lot better.

IMHO iOS is better than windows phone in most facets. That being said I swapped my iphone for a Lumia 920. Reason for that was that I got bored with iOS after 2 years and the iPhone 5 didnt feel like much of an upgrade from my iPhone 4.
Now that i've been using WP for 7 months (loving it) the only downside is apps (yep, dont try and argue me there). Otherwise it's a great platform and a cheaper alternative to iOS (even though I paid $800 for my lumia :)

Edit: not sure why the usual android vs wp vs ios thing started up on a thread entitled "Old Man on Pawn Stars has Lumia 920".
Gooooooooood work.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077