Finally here after more than 6 months.

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
One question... Does that phone even run WP8??? If it's a counterfeit from China, it's probably an Android device. Ugh...

The phone works fine has att logo and the camera works really well. And yes it has WP8.
The problem i'm getting now is not able to send MMS, but maybe that's cuz data is blocked on my tmobile.

What numbers do I need to dial in to show info of the phone and etc?

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Here's about section from settings
34rwvh2.jpg

Don't mind the bad screen protector, it's temporary and I got new ones.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The phone works fine has att logo and the camera works really well. And yes it has WP8.
The problem i'm getting now is not able to send MMS, but maybe that's cuz data is blocked on my tmobile.

What numbers do I need to dial in to show info of the phone and etc?

They sure got the right person to buy this phone , because that phone is 100% fake. That's not even how the box looks and it's even misspelled! Heck, look at the icons and pictures. Obvious fakes.

You were even so gullible as to take a 25% refund. LOL. Nice chunk of change for them to sell counterfeit phones and sell them for massive profits--even if they send you back this alleged 25%.

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Where do you live? You could've gotten a device in much better condition from ebay or Craigslist for less. Lumia 920s are beginning to hit the $300 and below mark, don't settle for a 25% refund for a clearly abused device.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Some good news, some bad news. The good news is, this is a genuine Nokia Lumia 920. I assume that's a cyan-colored case on the phone? The manual is obviously a Chinese knock-off. HOWEVER, the Lumia itself does not come with a user manual. You have to print one yourself from Nokia's website. The only contents included with the phone NEW are the charger, SIM door key, quick-start guide and NFC tag.

The bad news? You got a refurb or worse-a defective phone that was returned. You are having problems with SMS messages. Are you running on the AT&T network? There's a high probability that issues you are experiencing were the reason the phone was returned. Does the camera say "Nokia" or Carl Zeiss" on it? Because true Lumia 920's say Carl Zeiss on them.

In any event, you need to return that phone. It is not what you paid for and you waaaayyy overpaid for what you got.

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Some good news, some bad news. The good news is, this is a genuine Nokia Lumia 920. I assume that's a cyan-colored case on the phone? The manual is obviously a Chinese knock-off. HOWEVER, the Lumia itself does not come with a user manual. You have to print one yourself from Nokia's website. The only contents included with the phone NEW are the charger, SIM door key, quick-start guide and NFC tag.

The bad news? You got a refurb or worse-a defective phone that was returned. You are having problems with SMS messages. Are you running on the AT&T network? There's a high probability that issues you are experiencing were the reason the phone was returned. Does the camera say "Nokia" or Carl Zeiss" on it? Because true Lumia 920's say Carl Zeiss on them.

In any event, you need to return that phone. It is not what you paid for and you waaaayyy overpaid for what you got.

I have T-mobile and I have blocked tmobile internet on my tmobile account so maybe that's why it's blocking the MMS.
Yes the camera says Carl Zeiss on the strip.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I have T-mobile and I have blocked tmobile internet on my tmobile account so maybe that's why it's blocking the MMS.

Possibly. But my mums lumia 520 doesnt have an internet plan AT ALL and she can still send and recieve MMSs (although data has to be turned on). Although i'm in australia so my carrier may operate differently.

Does the camera say "Nokia" or Carl Zeiss" on it? Because true Lumia 920's say Carl Zeiss on them.

"true" lumias? ALL lumias.
AT&T Lumias say "Carl Zeiss/Tessar"
Every other lumia sold in any other country says "Nokia/Carl Zeiss"

So basically you have a working phone (came with a dodgy box, EH big deal, the inner box is still legit).
If you are happy with your phone and the price you paid I see no reason to return it. However just note that it isnt brand new, its refurbished (but i dont know WHO refurbished it).

Check the warranty of your phone by typing in the IMEI (dial *#06#) in this website: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/warranty-check/

I'm not American so im not sure of the prices there, but if you can get an unlocked, new, unrefurbished, 'MERICAN stock with the Nokia 2yr warranty lumia for around $400 from a big chain business (not online) i'd probably go there instead (for me that would cost $488 so your $170 saving is pretty decent).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
MMS is not dependent on a data plan at all. I was on T-Mobile for years before adding a data plan, and MMS always went through.

That's odd... For me, it's always been the opposite. From what I understand, you have to have data to send/receive picture messages. When I first started using my iPhone in 2011, I was never able to send or receive them, and I thought it was because I was using a phone otherwise meant for AT&T on T-Mobile... One day, I turned on my data while I was out and voile - I received picture messages from a friend out of nowhere that she'd tried sending me weeks prior. So, from there, I made the connection. Every time I've tried sending MMS since, even on my Lumia 810, I was unable to unless my data was turned on. It refuses to work via Wi-Fi. That's thanks to T-Mobile. I also realize now that the only reason I was able to successfully do MMS with my previous phones from my old Nokia flip phone up to my Nokia E73 Mode is because I always had my T-Zones.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, data has to be on, but you dont have to have a data plan.
(So data will just be on and not doing a whole lot besides MMS because it cant access the internet)

That I don't know firsthand because I've always had T-Zones or data since 2003. I imagine if it works without a data plan, there would be additional charges to the user. I was just starting to think I realized why the OP has the MMS problem, even if his phone is counterfeit.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I imagine if it works without a data plan, there would be additional charges to the user.

There is always additional charges for MMS, even if you HAVE a data plan. Gets taken out of your monthly credit unlike SMSs (which may be unlimited depending on your plan)

(Again, this is Australia, maybe different in America)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There is always additional charges for MMS, even if you HAVE a data plan. Gets taken out of your monthly credit unlike SMSs (which may be unlimited depending on your plan)

(Again, this is Australia, maybe different in America)
In the case of pricing, way different. I'm thinking back to the "old days" of MMS + SMS, but there was no separate charge for MMS. And actually, re-reading your post, it is the same today - unlimited messages includes both SMS and MMS. From what I have gathered over the years, Americans have both SMS and MMS lumped together - and for the longest time, I don't think regular consumers even knew what SMS/MMS stood for (that may still be true here). In Europe at the very least, though I imagine everywhere else in the world, I've come to understand it has ALWAYS been known as SMS and MMS. Not simple "messaging". Either way, my point is still that both "messages" and "picture messages" have always been lumped together, provided my memory is serving me correctly.

Metalchick, we will have to agree to disagree, as we have both been with T-Mobile for practically the same amount of time (I think you beat me by a few months). I despised data plans for the longest time, generally maintaining that it was "stupid" to try to use the internet on a phone when it was much faster and convenient on a computer. Yet I still cherished and received MMS without any additional charges. The only reason I ever even got a data plan is because it was required with my Windows Mobile Touch Pro 2 in 2009. Stupid requirements.

To express my opinion in relation to the overall thread topic... I am personally confident that the OP has a knockoff phone and was ripped off. Completely. That may or may not have anything to do with MMS. And the OP may even have a copy of WP8 installed to the knockoff phone via a ROM or something - assuming it's even actually WP8 (c'mon... anything can be faked these days). I want pics of the phone, more than just the about screen.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
In Europe at the very least, though I imagine everywhere else in the world, I've come to understand it has ALWAYS been known as SMS and MMS. Not simple "messaging".

Yep, for aussies we often get unlimited sms but mms come out of our monthly call credit.
Although we dont have to pay to receive texts or calls like i think Americans do.

I am personally confident that the OP has a knockoff phone and was ripped off.
Mmmm, I was under the impression that he got a legit refurbished phone (as it does come in a legit AT&T box which was then put inside a dodgy box for some odd reason).
But yes pics of the phone would help.

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well the warranty status says it has warranty.. but it doesn't say for how long.

Everybody is right about the data needed to send MMS. Which I have blocked because my N900 would accidentally navigate itself to the internet and connect to tmobile. It has used ub 34mb that way and that's 68$ thrown away.

As for returning the phone.. I'm gonna wait till wednesday and see. The battery doesn't last long(15h with power saver always on).
I hope the battery life gets better.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Everybody is right about the data needed to send MMS. Which I have blocked because my N900 would accidentally navigate itself to the internet and connect to tmobile. It has used ub 34mb that way and that's 68$ thrown away.

Call up T-Mobile and get them to block your data plan (or something like that). Data is being charged because your phone is checking emails etc.
Even with no data plan you should still get mms as long as data is turned on.

As for returning the phone.. I'm gonna wait till wednesday and see. The battery doesn't last long(15h with power saver always on).
I hope the battery life gets better.

Oh yeah, battery sucks when you first get it, give it a week or so (although that might not help, mine still sucks after 7 months)

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Call up T-Mobile and get them to block your data plan (or something like that). Data is being charged because your phone is checking emails etc.
Even with no data plan you should still get mms as long as data is turned on.

Oh yeah, battery sucks when you first get it, give it a week or so (although that might not help, mine still sucks after 7 months)

I'm leaving the states for 2 months on June 10th. Absolute last day to return the phone would be early that day. I'll risk it until Friday.
I'll try to not use the phone today and see how much is left at the end of today.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It looks like that's normal with the battery life on the Lumia 920... I got mine on May 8th and have only seen the battery level app say more than 18 hours of battery remaining once. After fully charging it overnight, today it's say 15 hours and change. Really makes me miss my Lumia 810. I would sometimes see the battery app saying up to 2 days or longer remaining on it! I wonder if the Lumia 925 will have better battery life than the 920 because of the AMOLED screen...?

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It looks like that's normal with the battery life on the Lumia 920... I got mine on May 8th and have only seen the battery level app say more than 18 hours of battery remaining once. After fully charging it overnight, today it's say 15 hours and change. Really makes me miss my Lumia 810. I would sometimes see the battery app saying up to 2 days or longer remaining on it! I wonder if the Lumia 925 will have better battery life than the 920 because of the AMOLED screen...?

Played a game for maybe....20 minutes and now it's down to 91% and 7h 54 minutes remaining, 12% discharge/hour

Is this really normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb