What am I missing with WP8?

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if justify is the right word. I was just wondering if I was not seeing something that others were. In the end I will base my decision will be based on whether what I want can be done on WP8 but I am not a big user of Microsoft's OS since version 6 and I was curious as to other people in my shoes were doing.

If you've been using WP8, have you not yet been able to determine if the OS can do what needs to be done? If you have 'concerns', I'm not sure why you have not yet followed your gut. At the end of the day, we all have different needs, and from your post, WP8 doesn't quite yet meet yours. There are plenty of posts in the forums as to why and what people are drawn to with regards to WP - seems as though you could have found what you were looking for with regards to others' opinions.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with IE, it's the way some websites have been coded. If they've been coded with webkit touch events or other webkit based tags then IE will have problems with it since it's trident rather than webkit.

sonic1519

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Coming over from an iphone 5 to the WP8 has not been a issue with me. WP8 does what i need it to and it does it well.
Email works fine with outlook.com and a pop account. Contacts sync great with outlook 2013 and with windows 8 pc
skydrive works as advertised. calendars sync just fine. yes apps are lacking but more are coming everyday. but really
how many apps do you need. there was a learning curve coming over from ios. but WP8 will only get better. to me the good
news is as windows improves and upgrades it's OS the windows phone will only get better...............

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Considering the fact that Windows 7 has a cute mascot (in Japan, at least), one of the things WP8 misses is a cute mascot.

Okay, on a serious note, I find that IE Mobile (the default browser) is quite lacking. Heck, even Microsoft sites won't render properly. Well, that's the only thing that keeps me from using it all the time.
Well, that, and the "Really?" ad.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think with time the things that works well on WP8 will ruin other smartphones for you.
WP8 is not about the first month until a new flagship appears wow.
Its a calmer experience where you'll notice how good the OS periodically.
all that things about APPS restrictions are true , but I think cloud computing and harder access to users data are features in themselves.
Just like Google sacrifices many security procedures to create a feature called Developer friendly app store.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry you feel that way but your reply makes me think you did not actually read what I wrote and just jumped to a false conclusion. Since I am not looking to argue with you, your opinion has been noted and you can move on.
I read it. I read plenty opinions like yours and it all boils down to the same thing. Its not android so you got a problem with it. I got it. You're not breaking any new ground is all I'm saying. There are things we are all impatient to get true, but what you have to remember as do I, this OS is new and still in development. Again, from the vantage point of a google phone, it has much to do. But from the respect of where it is and what it is today, its undeniably a contender. You can move on now.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think with time the things that works well on WP8 will ruin other smartphones for you.
WP8 is not about the first month until a new flagship appears wow.
Its a calmer experience where you'll notice how good the OS periodically.
all that things about APPS restrictions are true , but I think cloud computing and harder access to users data are features in themselves.
Just like Google sacrifices many security procedures to create a feature called Developer friendly app store.

Exactly, every time I go back to my iPhone I'm immediately disappointed by it because I'm missing key elements from WP.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Coming from an Android and iPhone, WinMo background myself. I will tell you the truth, the small things I give up is well worth the fluidity of WP. I have a L920 sitting here that has never had to be reset. I have never had to restart it to get it to work or had to reset it to get it to connect and make a phone call. Having used all the other OS's you list I can tell you without a doubt that WP is the most productive OS. Sure you can accomplish almost anything on a Android device if you have hours and hours to screw around with it. I know what my WP is capable of and everything it can do it does better than any other OS on the market.

Lets take Facebook for an example. On Android and IOS I always feel lost or out of touch having to open an app to to get updates. On my WP I have a live tile pinned for my daughter who is away at college. Every time she posts something on Facebook I can see it on her live tile right on my start screen without having to open anything. You wont get that type of connectivity from any other OS.

"For the people that came from other smartphones, why did you choose WP8 and what makes you stay?"
Simple WP is the most productive OS. I get more done with my device. I stay better connected with my WP. Nothing that Android and IOS can do is worth giving up what Windows Phone does better.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Lets take Facebook for an example. On Android and IOS I always feel lost or out of touch having to open an app to to get updates. On my WP I have a live tile pinned for my daughter who is away at college. Every time she posts something on Facebook I can see it on her live tile right on my start screen without having to open anything. You wont get that type of connectivity from any other OS.

You might be one of those few for which push notifications for facebook work. For me they work only when they want to. Same is viber and whatsapp. I get messages sometimes immediately sometimes after a day.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
You might be one of those few for which push notifications for facebook work. For me they work only when they want to. Same is viber and whatsapp. I get messages sometimes immediately sometimes after a day.

i believe he pinned his daughter from People Hub! it isn't possible to do this from the Facebook app as far as i know!

also i never seen Hub notifications failing...idk about other users, but they always worked for me...and that guy apparently XD

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i believe he pinned his daughter from People Hub! it isn't possible to do this from the Facebook app as far as i know!

also i never seen Hub notifications failing...idk about other users, but they always worked for me...and that guy apparently XD

Agreed, but hub's facebook integration is not as powerful as it is suppose to be.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Agreed, but hub's facebook integration is not as powerful as it is suppose to be.

Supposed to be? Who is setting the bar here. Microsoft built into the WP8 the ability to keep up with all your social networks and because the system doesn't do everything available it's not what it's supposed to be?

That is not the question the OP is trying to answer here. Lets keep this thread on topic.

Why do you like WP8 what about the OS do you like

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Came from iPhone and Android. WP 8 is fluid and polished. Battery life on the Nokia 928 tramples any Android phone I had. All the apps I need Re there. Android eventually lags and I do not want to put up with lag on my phone. So, what I like about WP8 is it performs smoothly and robustly and with a great balance between "smart" and "phone".

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
You know, I posted a while back after I got my Lumia 900, and I think it just needs to be reiterated now. Dave Blake nailed it. A lot of what I do on a daily basis with some frequency (social media, contacts, email, texting, etc) is built into the OS. Why should I need to open an app to handle simple tasks? I showed a co-worker with a Samsung Galaxy SIII how I click on his live tile, see all of his contact information, my contact history with him, and his Facebook and Linked In information. He was amazed that I could do all of that in 1 place (his tile) and DIDN'T NEED AN APP to accomplish it all. I mean, a lot of us spend way too much time in social media and I love the way that it's been integrated into the OS. I used to really enjoy that aspect of HTC Sense, but this takes it to a whole 'nother level.

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Supposed to be? Who is setting the bar here. Microsoft built into the WP8 the ability to keep up with all your social networks and because the system doesn't do everything available it's not what it's supposed to be?

That is not the question the OP is trying to answer here. Lets keep this thread on topic.

Why do you like WP8 what about the OS do you like

No one is setting the bar, just your thinking. I am just comparing it to desktop site and mobile app of andriod and IOS. I just didn't agree with your point. Also whereas I am not a WP8 basher as I myself own Lumia 920. But on the other hand I totally disagree with the mentality that WP8 is awesome as it is and it does not need to catch up with amount of features that are in available in android and IOS.

If no smart features were required other than calling and texting, than 3310 still does the job best.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
No one is setting the bar, just your thinking. I am just comparing it to desktop site and mobile app of andriod and IOS. I just didn't agree with your point. Also whereas I am not a WP8 basher as I myself own Lumia 920. But on the other hand I totally disagree with the mentality that WP8 is awesome as it is and it does not need to catch up with amount of features that are in available in android and IOS.

If no smart features were required other than calling and texting, than 3310 still does the job best.

Um, iOS and Android don't even have a People hub. The People hub is not a full blown Facebook or Twitter app, that's what those official apps are for. The People Hub is one place to view all your contacts information, history between you and the contact via multiple platforms, and a "feed" of your contact's activities.

If you want more advanced/in depth functionality you need to open the actual mobile apps just like on iOS or Android.

For me, I only use the People Hub. Even with the newly improve Facebook app, I just use the People Hub. It does 95% of what I need. That makes this feature a VERY smart feature.

In that respect, iOS and Android need to catch up. They are missing features too.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Hows about we hear your answer to the question the OP asked then.

Why do you like WP8 what about the OS do you like?

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hows about we hear your answer to the question the OP asked then.

Why do you like WP8 what about the OS do you like?

I bought Lumia 920 because I do believe that WP has a lot of potential. As far as what I love about the OS.

I love the fluidity of the OS specially which is also present for lower end phone. I love the metro style \ Simplistic text based style. I love the navigation that can be done by pressing alphabets in contacts and apps. Hub is awesome most probably one of the best features of WP. Though I still believe hub should have ability to tag friends in posts, like comments and see who likes the post. For rest there are full featured apps. That is pretty much it for me. Rest has a lot of potential, but needs polishing. For me hub, metro style and fluidity were selling points.

coldestsplash

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I sold out my S3 and bought Lumia 920, but it is still not my primary phone, my primary phone is still my iphone 5 (personal needs, some apps that WP8 does not have) but i really like WP8 over Android. Android is all buggy and laggy. Even have a S4 which i rarely use, i've the international i9500 version of Galaxy S4 it has 8 cores and even it lags a lot of times, i never had any lag or reboots or crash issue with my Lumia 920, it is always fast and i just love it's Metro Tiles.

I don't think i'm going back to Android anytime soon (I know even have a S4 but i've it for different reasons, business needs ), i personally don't like Android when compares to WP8 or iOS

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you live/work in a Microsoft ecosystem it far outperforms the other two OSes.

that's one of the points I keep on hearing over and over again - and I just don't get it. WP8 devices play just as nicely on Mac OS X as they do on Windows. Android isn't at home anywhere and iOS just works on Mac OS and Windows as well. Choosing a phone because it goes with your desktop OS is futile, IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786