What am I missing with WP8?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Choosing a phone because it goes with your desktop OS is futile, IMHO.
An ecosystem is bigger than desktop OS, and each device does work better to a greater or lesser degree within its native ecosystem. The more limited and/or basic your needs, the easier it to enjoy cross-platform interoperability.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
An ecosystem is bigger than desktop OS, and each device does work better to a greater or lesser degree within its native ecosystem. The more limited and/or basic your needs, the easier it to enjoy cross-platform interoperability.

I currently have Windows 7 and my Lumia 920 do not share a special bond (aka ecosystem). Is this special ecosystem specifically related to Windows 8 and WP8? Im not trolling here, but instead planned to get a Surface Pro in the future and wanted to know if benefits do exist.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I currently have Windows 7 and my Lumia 920 do not share a special bond (aka ecosystem). Is this special ecosystem specifically related to Windows 8 and WP8? Im not trolling here, but instead planned to get a Surface Pro in the future and wanted to know if benefits do exist.
Yes. Notice my calendar, people, SkyDrive and pictures tiles.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Notice my calendar, people, SkyDrive and pictures tiles.

[url]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu150/lak611/desktop_metro.png[/URL]

Ok thanks for clarifying. So the ecosystem is centred around the users Hotmail/Outlook account for as you mentioned Skydrive, contracts, email and calender. Theres no additional special super cool things right NOW that would make someone run out and buy strictly for the ecosytem. However, like most of us expect and HOPE...8.1 will be that centralized relationship.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Even the whole outlook thing is probably overrated. I use a Google Apps for businesses account with my Lumia 920 and there's really no difference.

Ok thanks for clarifying. So the ecosystem is centred around the users Hotmail/Outlook account for as you mentioned Skydrive, contracts, email and calender. Theres no additional special super cool things right NOW that would make someone run out and buy strictly for the ecosytem. However, like most of us expect and HOPE...8.1 will be that centralized relationship.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Even the whole outlook thing is probably overrated. I use a Google Apps for businesses account with my Lumia 920 and there's really no difference.

agreed, hence the statement "Theres no additional special super cool things right NOW that would make someone run out and buy strictly for the ecosytem"

Man, i hate to admit it but the more i look at Apple...the more pleasing their unified system is

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
spaulagain is absolutely correct here. It all comes down to what your focus is. iOS and Android are all about apps and features. Windows Phone is clearly focused around the people. I have all of the major OS's and i still prefer WP. It's simple, classy and fresh. It runs smoothly (something Android will never be able to claim completely due to its open architecture and all the MANY devices it has to run on). iPhone is very well made and runs great but it's all about the apps and is probably the most boring thing out there. iOS 7 looks good but it's still all about the apps for iPhone. I love being able to look at my phone and see all the live tiles and the information they give me. iPhone can't do that and Android is pretty much limited to it's widgets which may or may not work correctly. WP also gives me the Rooms feature which no one else can give me. Google+ has its circles but even that is limited to simple social contact. Rooms actually provides far more flexability for communicating with its members. Every OS has its pros and cons but for me, WP comes the closest to giving me what I need in an attractive, fresh, and smooth functioning package.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
agreed, hence the statement "Theres no additional special super cool things right NOW that would make someone run out and buy strictly for the ecosytem"

Man, i hate to admit it but the more i look at Apple...the more pleasing their unified system is

I'll say it again; Apple is well made and runs great but they have always been and will always be BORING :eek:rly:

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Laura, Yes, as one who uses Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, I can tell you it definitely does benefit you to have both of these. My hubby was forever bugging me about getting things from his phone to the computer. I was constantly showing him how to do this so you just KNOW I had to get both of these for this to work. Now? When he takes pictures, they go to his SkyDrive which he can access from the computer very easily. Any documents he might use on his phone are also there. When he buys music in Xbox on the phone, it immediately downloads onto the computer when you open up Xbox music there. If you put notes and such in OneNote on the phone, it will sync automatically with your OneNote on the desktop. It is the one solution that works to the point where my hubby has very little issues and THAT'S saying something. We won't however mention printing :winktongue:

SnatchedIT

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
As it's been widely stated, the main thing of the ecosystem is a wonderful, fast and complete sync, all automated and under the hood. Nothing amazing, but I like this while staying on Windows (imho way powerful than osx)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'll say it again; Apple is well made and runs great but they have always been and will always be BORING :eek:rly:

Cant disagree with you there...Bore-fest for sure. It's hilarious how impressing and in the same respect how snoring a product can be. I randomly pick up my wifes iPhone 5 here and there, and within seconds reminds me of why im happy and love my 920.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain, but I think Xbox Music is also somewhat integrated across phone, desktop and Xbox. Hopefully we'll see greater ecosystem integration throughout 2014 once all the Blue updates are out.
Also hoping that MS opens up app development on the Xbox to allow for more cross-device app experiences.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
As it's been widely stated, the main thing of the ecosystem is a wonderful, fast and complete sync, all automated and under the hood. Nothing amazing, but I like this while staying on Windows (imho way powerful than osx)

Actually it is amazing that it is fast, completely synced, automatic, under the hood and you don't have stability issues. This is what makes it wonderful. Productivity and ease of use. If we could search for and email pdf's and other documents directly from the phone easier it would really be "the bees knees". haha.

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Laura, Yes, as one who uses Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, I can tell you it definitely does benefit you to have both of these. My hubby was forever bugging me about getting things from his phone to the computer. I was constantly showing him how to do this so you just KNOW I had to get both of these for this to work. Now? When he takes pictures, they go to his SkyDrive which he can access from the computer very easily. Any documents he might use on his phone are also there. When he buys music in Xbox on the phone, it immediately downloads onto the computer when you open up Xbox music there. If you put notes and such in OneNote on the phone, it will sync automatically with your OneNote on the desktop. It is the one solution that works to the point where my hubby has very little issues and THAT'S saying something. We won't however mention printing :winktongue:

Connie - seeing you and Laura on these forums discussing what is great about Windows Phone keeps bringing me back to my thought of the platform won't take off until women embrace it. I work with a lot of non-tech savvy people and the women tend to ask me what type of phone they should get. When they say they want one that will help them stay organized and eliminate the clutter of work and home (most are wives and moms also) I explain the benefits of Windows Phone since everything at our job is Windows. Still, every one gets an Iphone because they are popular. I really don't care, except for the fact they continue to complain about the clutter of work and home in their schedule. If more women would gravitate towards Windows Phone and the ease of every day life in all aspects on it, the platform would blow up and never look back.

What is really ironic is how they all look at the tiles on the screen and get intimidated thinking it will be information overload when that is the key to staying organized. The static icons of the other two systems seems to really have people fixated.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Connie - seeing you and Laura on these forums discussing what is great about Windows Phone keeps bringing me back to my thought of the platform won't take off until women embrace it. I work with a lot of non-tech savvy people and the women tend to ask me what type of phone they should get. When they say they want one that will help them stay organized and eliminate the clutter of work and home (most are wives and moms also) I explain the benefits of Windows Phone since everything at our job is Windows. Still, every one gets an Iphone because they are popular. I really don't care, except for the fact they continue to complain about the clutter of work and home in their schedule. If more women would gravitate towards Windows Phone and the ease of every day life in all aspects on it, the platform would blow up and never look back.

What is really ironic is how they all look at the tiles on the screen and get intimidated thinking it will be information overload when that is the key to staying organized. The static icons of the other two systems seems to really have people fixated.
I really don't think I would be a good example here. I am not married and do not have children. I also have an IT background, so I'm more tech-savvy than the consumers you describe.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain, but I think Xbox Music is also somewhat integrated across phone, desktop and Xbox. Hopefully we'll see greater ecosystem integration throughout 2014 once all the Blue updates are out.
Also hoping that MS opens up app development on the Xbox to allow for more cross-device app experiences.

It is and I absolutely live it - runs circles around Spotify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs