Lumia 920, the last of the 'classic design' Nokias?

fatpigeon

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Been looking at new Nokias, they seem to be getting rounder and bulbous-er with the low end phones and unfortunately more generic with the high end phones. For low-end I'm talking about design, not mass/bulk. Nokia Lumia 620 looks heavier than the 800 for example, even though it's a lot lighter.

I really like my 800, and in terms of design what I really want is a Windows Phone 8 version of it.

Wondering if I should pick up the 920 while I can for the design, though the huge phablet-class weight (while not being anywhere near as well specced as one) is a concern. Not in any particular hurry since Windows Phone 8 is still half-baked anyway but didn't want to end up with a 925, which looks like something HTC or Huawei could crank out just as well.

Should I get one? When / where might be a good time to get one SIM-free in the UK (ideally when it's on sale or something)?

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
New 920 user here. Was supposed to go for the 820 but I got a chance to play with the 920 and that's what I got. Not regretting it at all
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
When I hold my 920, I still feel that I am holding quality piece of beatifully designed hardware more than a just hefty phone. So I consider the weight being positive thing to what I feel. I don't know where the limit would go when the weight starts to affect the actual usability, but I do know that its not 185grams.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You could always get a 900 and update it to 7.8 ha
I love my 920 though. The last of a dying breed. The 928 and 925 are both hideous.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
There was an interview with the head of product design from nokia who said they will definitely continue to make polycarbonate phones. The 800/900/920 design isnt going away any time soon

ArmisLt

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
More people whining about the weight.. It's not even heavy. I can't even feel it in my pocket, always have to check.

I'll take a picture of my 2 year old cousin holding my phone to prove that it's not heavy.

fatpigeon

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
More people whining about the weight.. It's not even heavy. I can't even feel it in my pocket, always have to check.

I'll take a picture of my 2 year old cousin holding my phone to prove that it's not heavy.

Mate, it's not that it's heavy in absolutes... I think anyone can appreciate that. It's just that it's really heavy for what it is. You can interpret it as 'reassuringly heavy' or 'why does it have to be so heavy'. I'm somewhere in the middle, since I have the Lumia 800 which is also pretty heavy for what it is. It's just that when you start getting into the 200 gram range, it's really noticeable if you're carrying it. And for a phablet it'd be unavoidable. Thing is the 920 isn't a phablet.

Still undecided. If I feel they've lost the plot permanently I suppose I could pick up a cared-for used one once we get a clearer picture of where Nokia's going with their flagship once we know what they're planning beyond the 925...?

Last edited:

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I love the look of the 920. My preference is my colour which is white. It is a heavy phone, what does that tell you? It tells me that there is some quality engineering going on underneath the phone. Sure they could make the phone lighter (which they have done) and still maintain Nokia quality but I really don't care much for the weight. It is such a solid feeling phone. I am really rather disappointed with the new 925 and 928's design, but in all fairness they haven't solely been design by Nokia. I hope they revert back to the design theme of the 800 - 920 series phones. The 920 looks the cleanest of them all in my opinion, if they had just made it lighter and the screen larger while still having 32 GB on board I would get one in a heartbeat. .

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I personally prefer my L920 heavy. I can't even describe how much like a toy my friends phone feels when it's like 4,7" and weights 130g or so. I guess someone appreciates it and I have no problems with it, but it screams everything but quality to me.

I really like the look and design too of the L920. It is a bit bigger than what I'd prefer though in dimensions, 4-4,3" is sorta of the comfortable zone for me, but at the same time I want high end, which is why I cant really have a phone that small anymore these days :D

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I love the design of the 920. EE in the UK are now selling for ?250 on PAYG locked. An unlock is expensive, about ?45, but still a bargain. Beautiful phone.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds beautiful will look ugly to another. And vice versa.

I personally love the design of the 925, even though I like my 920 as well.

fatpigeon

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person finds beautiful will look ugly to another. And vice versa.

I personally love the design of the 925, even though I like my 920 as well.

IMO it's not that it's bad looking - it's not, but that it's quite, well, Chinese as I said. You could imagine pretty much any maker there coming up with that style and executing it pretty well. The 920's got a more coherent design.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Allow me to (try to) explain. For the sake of simplicity, let's start with the N8.

The N8 is a largely squared-off design with only one hardware key at the front (home key). To follow, you have the N9, which is practically speaking, an N8 made of polycarbonate without the hump and with curved glass. You have the 800 which followed after that, and the 920 afterwards.

Take note that I tried to explain in as few words as possible, and I only commented on how they look from the front.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Mate, it's not that it's heavy in absolutes... I think anyone can appreciate that. It's just that it's really heavy for what it is. You can interpret it as 'reassuringly heavy' or 'why does it have to be so heavy'. I'm somewhere in the middle, since I have the Lumia 800 which is also pretty heavy for what it is. It's just that when you start getting into the 200 gram range, it's really noticeable if you're carrying it. And for a phablet it'd be unavoidable. Thing is the 920 isn't a phablet.
Nokia lumia 920 too heavy and thick?!?!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234