Well it's been amazing but 2g on tmobile means I'm moving on.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
If you can hold out longer I would recommend getting the Lumia 925, it will be fully compatible with all of T-mobile's bands. Also the reason you might not get 4G on the 920 anymore is because the refarm might not yet be complete in your area.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
While i agree with most of this post...the 920 does have 1700MHZ UMTS.http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/210237-nokia-lumia-920-frequency-bands.html
But it must have been turned off or something.
There is a HUGE amount of wrong information in this thread. Here's what's happening with your phone. Btw, this comes from someone that has switched to T-Mobile from AT&T last week, with an unlocked AT&T 920.

First for the sake of simplicity, let's call 3G, 3G+, HSPA, HSPA+ and 4G as the same technology: 3G (because technically, give or take a few differences, that's what they all are). Below 3G you have 2G (Edge) and above 3G you have LTE. The reason you are only getting 2G is because your phone, since it was built for AT&T's network, does not support T-Mobile's 3G Bands. In particular, it's missing the 1700MHz band. So the reason you are stuck is not because someone is blocking you, but technical-related. 95%+ of the GSM phones out there comes with this limitation, because most of the rest of the world (including all of Europe), uses the same frequencies as AT&T. T-Mobile on the other hand has their own weird frequencies, pretty much unique compared to any other cellular provider in the world, and that's why they also have such a limited selection of phones. The other 5% of phones (which are often called pentaband) support everything and can work on both AT&T and T-Mobile without such issues; the Nexus 4 is one such device.

One more important bit: T-Mobile has finally made the decision, to re-structure their network and make their 3G frequencies identical to AT&T (and to the rest of the GSM world). This is an ongoing expensive and time-consuming process. So far certain areas such as San Jose have been completely upgraded. That means you can take your unlocked AT&T Lumia 920 there, and you'll get 3G/4G without any problems. Other areas like San Diego are half-completed, which means your phone will switch between 2G and 3G/4G depending on where you are. Presumably, in anything other than big cities, this process hasn't even started yet.

Note that none of the above applies to 2G or LTE, because for those, T-Mobile uses/will use frequencies identical to AT&T. In fact, today was the first day that I saw LTE on my AT&T 920 running on T-Mobile, but it only stayed around for a brief moment. I spend the rest of my time 70% on 4G and 30% on 2G.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
As I recall, and it may have changed over the past few years, but there were only 3 countries that had a carrier used the 1700 band. They were Canada, United States and Chile.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. The best deals I have seen were on Ebay. But I am scared of buying a device that won't work and/or is stolen.

We may need a new forum: "Where to Buy / What to Buy."

You may also want to check out NegriElectronics.com. It's a reputable site/seller and a lot of people here have bought their unlocked Lumia 920s from them (me included).

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. The best deals I have seen were on Ebay. But I am scared of buying a device that won't work and/or is stolen.

I understand, on eBay you need to look for a dealer that has sold a couple thousand phones and has a high 90% rating.

If you wonder about an online store, run their name through: Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores If they have an 8 to 10 rating, they are normally very good.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site

If I am going to Ebay to buy something I always buy from Gazelle Store, they are very trustworthy NO problems with them so far.. They also have the cheapest price on Ebay most of the time. However, this is for Carrier branded, although they also have unlocked devices.. Check them out.. Oh and GSM nation is the best as well is just that I buy from them New devices.. Check also "The Marketplace" here on Wpcentral you might find some unlocked devices (Got an N8 from Palandri.. Loving it!) Amazon sellers are also very trustworthy..

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I understand, on eBay you need to look for a dealer that has sold a couple thousand phones and has a high 90% rating.

Correct. But I always wondered where the "dealers" got their merchandise from.

I really think we need a new forum for this topic. Let me apologize to O.P. I am not trying to hijack your thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99