2 Hours after unplugged from charger down to 29%

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had posted just a week or so ago about the battery life in my 920 and how it is good some weeks and less than stellar other weeks.

Today marks the day that has been the worst.

I unplugged my phone from the charger after a full nights charge at 5:30AM it is now 7:50AM and I am down to 29%. Yesterday I had a full charge and it lasted all day. I have very few apps on my phone and the ones that are on there are blocked to not run in the background.

This is terrible. This is the ONLY phone in my entire life where this battery issue has happened.

The Lumia 920 is a nice phone, but this battery is making me wish I had gone with another phone.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Try cycling the battery. Sometimes the sensorware needs to be reset. Let it die completely, then turn on, do it again then full charge overnight

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Check your background tasks, I found a bunch of my apps kept turning on background running when I opened them, I had almost every app running in the background even though I used the back button to back out of them. I check it frequently because some apps keep turning themselves back on (App Highlights).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap, that's not normal... Do you have battery saver mode turned on and your screen brightness set to automatic? My battery has been a bit weird, but never anything like what you're describing. You should get at least a full day of usage out of it.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If none of these work, you just have a bunk device. Should be covered by warranty though. Metalchick, you in Colorado too??

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If you see it starting to chew battery life, try and power cycle and see if it goes away. Some app is likely hung up in the background and eating your battery. Technically this shouldn't happen very often if at all, but I have seen it once in a while.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
If none of these work, you just have a bunk device. Should be covered by warranty though. Metalchick, you in Colorado too??

If you can, go to the AT&T store in the orchard shopping center (144th and I-25) here in Colorado, the guys in the repair department are pretty good.

garconcn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are using LTE, try change it to 3G in Settings >> Cellular >> Select "3G" for Highest connection speed.
I used to have to charge the battery twice in a day, now it can last almost two days.

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I borrowed someones charger at work, charged it for an hour and the charge held up the rest of the day...Weird.

Today it is draining at a normal rate....I don't really know what the problem could have been. I have the battery saver mode one (as someone mentioned above) and my screen brightness is set to automatic. I also do not have the facebook beta installed...so those aren't the culprit. I will just keep on eye on it.

I really do love my 920, I just wish the battery wasn't so crazy. Everyone have a great Friday.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had bizzare-o-world battery results with my 920 also. Not as extreme as your case, but strange nonetheless. I really feel it's some OS bug since I've had it even after a hard-reset back to factory.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think wp 8 is has horrible battery metering, I had the same issue as you it would charge down rapidly (25%) with in an hr and then I would do a reset (vol down + power) and when it came back I would have 90. so Im not really sure what to trust at this point.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Also horrible Nokia Power management, just switching off and switching back on the phone sucks 10-15% off if my charge is below 80 :S :(

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The OS is interesting...

XAudio2 Performance and Battery Considerations for Windows Phone 8

"Significant battery drain can occur if an app doesn’t stop the XAudio2 engine when the app is suspended, and the engine continues to run."

To me this sounds kind of stupid: that the OS cannot be in control and suspend the XAudio2 engine when apps are suspended too.

Currently, apps that have developers that don't appreciate real subtleties like this can be the cause of battery drain. I'd hope MS puts some changes in place to reduce this in future OS updates, or at absolute minimum add tests for issues like this to their App tests that are run on all published apps.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I bet whatsapp uses this !!!! but Im pretty sure Microsoft knows about these issues and is working everything into 8.1 update. I really doubt we will see any major improvement on the next service pack :)

The OS is interesting...

XAudio2 Performance and Battery Considerations for Windows Phone 8

"Significant battery drain can occur if an app doesn’t stop the XAudio2 engine when the app is suspended, and the engine continues to run."

To me this sounds kind of stupid: that the OS cannot be in control and suspend the XAudio2 engine when apps are suspended too.

Currently, apps that have developers that don't appreciate real subtleties like this can be the cause of battery drain. I'd hope MS puts some changes in place to reduce this in future OS updates, or at absolute minimum add tests for issues like this to their App tests that are run on all published apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte