First Impressions Lumia 920

taucherguy

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Long time lurker here.
After almost 2 painful years with an HTC Sensation 4G with random reboots, random dropped calls, rooting and new custom roms................

I had bought my wife a Lumia 820 for Valentines and she has been very happy with it. So since I didn't care for the Iphone (had it for 2 weeks) I took the plunge and bought a Lumia 920.

It has been now 4 days since it arrived and I have customized it as much as possible downloaded some of the items I used on Android. Some apps are still missing but I can wait. I use it mainly for business. My office it seems is a faraday cage, and to my surprise phone is the only one that really works well close to the window. My HTC was a disaster and my colleagues Iphone wont work either.

Recap:

Speed - compared to my HTC it is fast. Paging through the screens i blazing fast Apps open up quickly.

Call quality - considerably better and the reception in bad areas is great (see above)

Live Tiles - This is probably the best part when it comes to WP. I have several apps and the notification is fast and you can see all on one screen (miss the pull down settings and notification from Android though)

App Market - could be designed a little bit better in my opinion, especially the information area could be a little bit better. Of course there are apps missing but I can wait. Banks need to get on it, like USAA and Ally.

Backup - I know this from my wifes 820. It is lacking the completeness of Android. She had trouble getting all her apps back automatically and the data was missing. Settings were also missing. Also when you start up the Lumia for the first time it uses OTA and doesn't give you the chance for wireless setup. This can be costly if you don't have a good data plan or if you just ran out when you got your new phone.

Stability - It seems stable but today I switched from wifi to OTA when I left my office and when I checked it around a half and hour later it was dead....completely dead. It wouldn't turn on, I was at a meeting and couldn't check my documents. So when back in the car I tried to see if it would wake when I put it on the charger but nada. I found a way online how to do a reset and it worked. So I hope that it was the first and last time for such a headache.

This was my short 4 day experience. Other than the little quirks I am quite happy with it and am looking forward to some of the apps I used to use and to the new updates that will bring improvements.

Can anybody recommend a good call recorder? The one I used in Android was available for windows but it didn't work at all.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you check for an update as one did come out since the phone did. This may help some of your issues. I think I had that problem with the phone turning off, happen to me once but not since.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Nokia and 920 family!
You will love the phone and hopefully if you ever have to hate it, it must be from WP8 itself. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs