Lumia 920 on BMW 5 series (E60) connected via Bluetooth... Reads my messages

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
connected it to my car via bluetooth and unlike any other phone, when i get a message , it asks if i want to read it.
After reading it out, it asks if i want to call that person or i am done.

beautiful. and wanted to just post it out there so it comes in google search when other people are searching.

it also has option to disable Read incoming text messages aloud so if u r playing music at a party, you dont want to be disturbed.

great feature inbuilt since bluetooth on most cars can be quite limited.

using the standard CCC system which lacks the new features of BMW F10 but thanks to this phone, my biggest headache while driving is gone.

Last edited:

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a blue tooth enabled car but I do have a stereo with an aux input jack. I mount my phone, connect the aux from the radio to the phone's headphone jack. I then get the same options as you to have test messages read to me which comes over the car speakers. This has the added benefit of muting the music as the message is being read. This also allows me to use the phone as a GPS nav unit that will also mute the music and give turn by turn over the car speakers.

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
^ good idea... but i have a habit of not using my phones as a music player because i never enjoy the sound quality and reduced battery life.

maybe after the new nokia wireless charging car stand is on sale, i will consider as it will charge my phone so i can use it as a full time gps.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Works well doesnt it... its been there since wp7. It even downloads the phonebook to the CCC drive.

Have you found a way to send a txt other than wait for a message to come in?

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is an absolute necessity for me and I have been grateful for it ever since fist using it on my HTC HD7, I had a brief dalliance with android last year in the form of a HTC One x but it did not have this functionality built in and I could not find an app that replicated it. Simple but soooooo useful!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i dont have bluetooth in my car...im equally impressed and jealous, but again not surprised since you're driving a wicked car

Last edited:

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
this is a feature on all window's phones.

You can enabled or dissable it at any time or tell it to read text via bluetooth/headset/or all the time.

I love this feature. The new update also gives you the option to reply to the text via speech when in bluetooth mode.

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
i dont have bluetooth in my car...im equally impressed and jealous, but again not surprised since you're driving a wicked car

wicked car got more wicked :) ..try using those bluetooth speakers....now i only need to test if it will read facebook messages as they are unified with messaging app.

Great feature - this also works on my 2013 Ford Fiesta with Ford Sync.

i heard ford offers best sync features?

this is a feature on all window's phones.

You can enabled or dissable it at any time or tell it to read text via bluetooth/headset/or all the time.

I love this feature. The new update also gives you the option to reply to the text via speech when in bluetooth mode.

wow..so now i can reply also while driving?,....if this is integrated with facebook chat then this will be the most futuristic feature..... since nokia has english language packs..it recognises non-american accents also.
Works in my 2014 Kia Sorento too.

good to know.

will update when i confirm it reads facebook messages received in the messaging app.

alfonz

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
speech reply was/is available on win 7.5 but was disabled in win8.

However with the new update 1314? the feature was re-enabled. At least my 920 is. I have only used it for text messaging and I am unsure it will work with facebook etc.

Gringo1975

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, does anybody know where I can get a snap-in adapter for a nokia lumia 800 or 920, its for a BWM 5 series currently with iphone snap-in adapter??

misterklaw

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
My new 2013 bMW 3 series doesn't read out text messages from either my 920 (either before or after the amber update), or my wife's lumia 800. It has basic Bluetooth telephone for calls and downloading the phone book etc.

My previous BMW worked fine. Have they changed something?

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It works great on my 2011 Audi A4 Quattro too.. One good thing about this feature is it reads back your spoken message and gives an option to send or re-record until you get it right. Works pretty well..

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It works great on my 2011 Audi A4 Quattro too.. One good thing about this feature is it reads back your spoken message and gives an option to send or re-record until you get it right. Works pretty well.. and this is with stock/built-in Bluetooth...

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you found a way to send a txt other than wait for a message to come in?

Press the phone button on your steering wheel (may have to hold it down) and it will voice prompt you for an action (just say 'Text <name>' and it will start the process.)

At least that's how it should work, some Bluetooth systems think they are smarter than my phone and won't tell the phone to listen, but instead use it's own internal system which sucks (I'm talking to you Subaru!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs