LTE on T-Mobile US killing battery life

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Seattle area, and my Lumia 920 developer build recently started to lock on LTE. It shows 1-2 bars with the letter L. Unfortunately, it's also sucking the battery life so fast that I couldn't believe it. My battery goes from 63% to 36% (-27%) within just one hour doing nothing. It just idles and yet the phone continues to pickup this weak LTE signal causing it to flip between E, 3G, H+, and L. I think this is what's causing the horrendous battery drain. I am forced to limit the maximum speed to 3G now.

Wouldn't it be better if the phone idles in 3G mode and then switches to LTE when data is needed? This is exactly what the phone does when it's set to 3G maximum mode. The phone stays idle in 3G and jumps to H+ when data is needed. Unfortunately, this isn't case with LTE even while idling. It's always on LTE if an LTE signal is available. I have to admit, LTE is actually faster than my home Wi-Fi, which is quiet amazing.

Does anyone notice this behavior? Any with LTE with horrible battery life?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Access Point in your settings? Some phones, like my 920 has this but others do not. If you do, choose 3G. But if you have a strong LTE signal, you should be getting better battery life and not worse. Only when it can't find a signal and spends its time trying to lock one will you have trouble. The 920 isn't designed to work on t-mo except if you monkey with the settings so expect to need to carry a separate battery so you can charge up your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte