My Lumia 920. Two steps forward, one step back

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
A few months ago, after an OTA update to my Lumia 920, my accelerometer quit working. So I contacted Nokia and they were kind enough to replace the phone. Spring forward to 6/15, I contacted AT&T to get the unlock code for my phone and they said no. The reason they gave is the IMEI number on my Lumia 920 is on another contract. WTF? They would not give me the phone number but they did tell me is was not a 702 area code. I didn't think I could add the same IMEI number to another contact but AT&T did allow me to. So who screwed up? AT&T or Nokia? And what do I do?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
At&t did, if Nokia have given you a handset, then its legit. No arguments. The manufacturer can do what the hell it wants.

My advise is to call at&t and explain that you have been given a replacement handset by Nokia, and that you need to unlock it. Make very clear you don't plan on leaving at&t, just that you need the convience or something. If they refuse, kick up holy hell and don't let them go until they do it. Threaten them with the fcc, courts, just be a massive *** and shout until they sort it. That's pretty much how customer service works in the us.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
At&t did, if Nokia have given you a handset, then its legit. No arguments. The manufacturer can do what the hell it wants.

My advise is to call at&t and explain that you have been given a replacement handset by Nokia, and that you need to unlock it. Make very clear you don't plan on leaving at&t, just that you need the convience or something. If they refuse, kick up holy hell and don't let them go until they do it. Threaten them with the fcc, courts, just be a massive *** and shout until they sort it. That's pretty much how customer service works in the us.

I suspect its AT&T as well. If it was any at all a problem when I got the replacement, they should have NEVER allowed me to register it on my account if it was already registered on another. The IMEI didn't change from when I called them to set it up on my account to now that I want to unlock it.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. In the UK we have a place called "the citizens advice bureau". Its essentially a charity that's kinda government sponsored. Anyway, it has incredible power. And work for free. Check to see if you have something similar in your state, i didn't know about them until i had an issue with my council, and they seriously kicked *** for me. Just rang them up and basically told them to sort it out or they would fine them.

Not sure if you have a place that's like that in the states, but it worth checking out. That way you can threaten to get them involved if they wont play ball.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought my handset from someone on Craigslist, and I chatted with International Support and they unlocked me with no question whatsoever. Easiest unlocking I've ever done.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. In the UK we have a place called "the citizens advice bureau". Its essentially a charity that's kinda government sponsored. Anyway, it has incredible power. And work for free. Check to see if you have something similar in your state, i didn't know about them until i had an issue with my council, and they seriously kicked *** for me. Just rang them up and basically told them to sort it out or they would fine them.

Not sure if you have a place that's like that in the states, but it worth checking out. That way you can threaten to get them involved if they wont play ball.

In the US we call it the BBB (better business bureau) United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

vimukthi999

May 28, 2013
Visit site
they should unlock it,,you know what i did,,im from sri lanka,,bought a lumia 920 via ebay and u knw its locked at&t,,when i got the phone called at&t international care number and told i traveled sri lanka and i want to use my phone,,kept me hold for a while bingo,,they gave me unlocked code,,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre