Updates to unlocked phones

Malmer

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Today I'm getting my first Windows Phone, a Lumia 920 (yellow). Been lurking wpcentral long enough now without commiting. Time to take the plunge.

Anyways, I'm buying the phone completely unlocked, and not from a carrier. In sweden. How does updates work then? Will I get them before locked phones? Who distributes them? Nokia? Microsoft? Can't wait to get my hands on GDR2.

Take care!

mitunchidamparam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Today I'm getting my first Windows Phone, a Lumia 920 (yellow). Been lurking wpcentral long enough now without commiting. Time to take the plunge.

Anyways, I'm buying the phone completely unlocked, and not from a carrier. In sweden. How does updates work then? Will I get them before locked phones? Who distributes them? Nokia? Microsoft? Can't wait to get my hands on GDR2.

Take care!

Even though you are buying a unlocked phone, it is going to have the country variant of Sweden.
The update is going to be provided by nokia directly.
Since it is unlocked, the update does not need approval of the carrier.
This is a big advantage and will save time.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Even though you are buying a unlocked phone, it is going to have the country variant of Sweden.
The update is going to be provided by nokia directly.
Since it is unlocked, the update does not need approval of the carrier.
This is a big advantage and will save time.

It's still a little early to tell if unlocked phones will get updates first (only a few updates so far). So far AT&T has always gotten updates before anyone else. I have an unlocked phone and I have gotten it after AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99