After months of watching , waiting and wishing to be a part of the Windows Phone family, I finally bit the bullet with the Lumia 920 ! ( After some VERY tough competition by the Lumia 720..which is equal and better than the 920 in many departments..)
    After a week of living with it..I just can't hold back my thoughts for this amazing device...hence the rant to follow!

LOOKS
    Photos really do not do justice to how damn AMAZING the White 920 looks !! Websites and reviews always show such a magnified and even bloated view of the device- and I was pleasantly shocked when I actually held it for the first time.. the looks and build quality simply scream premuim !! You really know its something special!
    And for anyone who has ever complained about its weight..really...it is BY NO MEANS heavy!! Relative comparisons with the S4 and the Iphone 5 will always paint it as a villain...but given the sheer tech within the device, and the solid reassurance of a device meant to last -- I have absolutely no complaints..

USAGE
    That gorgeous screen...It really is a work of art ...I feel the coating on the screen really aids the swipe gestures ..Legibility in direct sunlight is truly amazing !
    I've always been a fan of Metro UI and the OS really looks and feels every bit refreshing on the device..
    Transitions are smooth and fluid...not everything is perfect though -- Thats something I wish to cover later..

The People Hub , in particular is a great implementation of how contacts should be viewed..once you've linked all of a contact's accounts ..
    Apps definitely have a unique style about them ! Metro is a great way forward, maybe not so much for Windows 8, but it really works on mobile devices... Nokia Music, Wordament,Pandora, ESPN...even Facebook Beta (Yeah, I know how everyone feels about it... ) .. they balance the UI and functionality really well.

APPS AVAILABILITY
    Aah...apps....the bane of WP8 existence...
    I'd like to clear that I'm clearly not the best person to comment on app availability as I'm only 1 week in, and am not a heavy app user..
    The biggest advantage with Lumia devices is the set of Nokia services that come with it - Maps, Drive, Music and camera lenses really boost the value... add MS Office , and you have a healthy set of functionality out of the box..
    Having said that, I'm yet to find anything "missing" as such..be it an app for notes/reminders/fitness/diet.. or even official apps for Bank of america/dominos/groupon etc..

The app store is definitely a work in progress... and I feel its more about getting more official apps for banks and restaurants, rather than NOT being able to find an app that you can use to get the job done..

ISSUES
    I'm not a fanboy... And I'm not oblivious to the fact that WP8 has some way to go...
    If I address the hardware, there's very little to fault..The camera works well and my screen hasn't shown any scratches yet (not using a screen guard ).. The only minor gripe being that one-handed use isn't the easiest - and I have reasonably big hands..

Moving on to software..
    I've had the ocassional drop in Wifi connection - yet to experience a crash though..
    Apps like Pandora and Temple Run have frozen and closed out on me without notice once each...IE too has shown reluctance in closing out a particular webpage( Youtube mobile... might be a conspiracy here ! ) The app store and music player though, do pause when I select an app / switch a song respectively..
    The switch between Landscape and Portrait isn't always consistent too...I'm not sure if certain apps just don't support alternate views however...The occasional error in notifications with live tiles...

All in all, its just a little rough around the edges...certainly not a pain in the long run..

..AND WHAT COULD BE BETTER
    The approach with WP8 seems a little over-simplistic at times...E.g the long single app list ..and the settings pages...its just an endless list which seems to have no end..
    A compartmentalized arrangement for settings and toggles should be more convenient ...A Notification center (of course!) is welcome, but I don't feel as much of a need, with up to 5 apps being able to update the lock-screen, and the live-tiles too..

Another thing that could..and should improve is the usage of Metro UI within apps...Space utilization definitely is an issue..
    Apps such as Whatsapp end up taking too much space with the keyboard and suggestions box ...leaving very little space to actually see the message history...
    Wordament and Facebook Beta are very good examples of how a content heavy app can stay true to the OS..

Well, that does it ! I can't believe I had so much to say...!
    Its a case of "So near, yet NOT so far" with WP...WP8 WILL get better...hopefully GDR2/3 and eventually 8.1 will bring a lot of what people want to see..
    Till then, I'm going to enjoy my 920 to the max !! Its a wonderful device and nobody should think twice about making a choice with it...

For anyone who had the patience to read through all that .... You are a real star !!
    06-24-2013 03:51 PM
    My new phone is a white Lumia 920 too...

I love it!
    thegamevg likes this.
    06-24-2013 04:07 PM
    After months of watching , waiting and wishing to be a part of the Windows Phone family, I finally bit the bullet with the Lumia 920 ! ( After some VERY tough competition by the Lumia 720..which is equal and better than the 920 in many departments..)
    After a week of living with it..I just can't hold back my thoughts for this amazing device...hence the rant to follow!

LOOKS
    Photos really do not do justice to how damn AMAZING the White 920 looks !! Websites and reviews always show such a magnified and even bloated view of the device- and I was pleasantly shocked when I actually held it for the first time.. the looks and build quality simply scream premuim !! You really know its something special!
    And for anyone who has ever complained about its weight..really...it is BY NO MEANS heavy!! Relative comparisons with the S4 and the Iphone 5 will always paint it as a villain...but given the sheer tech within the device, and the solid reassurance of a device meant to last -- I have absolutely no complaints..

USAGE
    That gorgeous screen...It really is a work of art ...I feel the coating on the screen really aids the swipe gestures ..Legibility in direct sunlight is truly amazing !
    I've always been a fan of Metro UI and the OS really looks and feels every bit refreshing on the device..
    Transitions are smooth and fluid...not everything is perfect though -- Thats something I wish to cover later..

The People Hub , in particular is a great implementation of how contacts should be viewed..once you've linked all of a contact's accounts ..
    Apps definitely have a unique style about them ! Metro is a great way forward, maybe not so much for Windows 8, but it really works on mobile devices... Nokia Music, Wordament,Pandora, ESPN...even Facebook Beta (Yeah, I know how everyone feels about it... ) .. they balance the UI and functionality really well.

APPS AVAILABILITY
    Aah...apps....the bane of WP8 existence...
    I'd like to clear that I'm clearly not the best person to comment on app availability as I'm only 1 week in, and am not a heavy app user..
    The biggest advantage with Lumia devices is the set of Nokia services that come with it - Maps, Drive, Music and camera lenses really boost the value... add MS Office , and you have a healthy set of functionality out of the box..
    Having said that, I'm yet to find anything "missing" as such..be it an app for notes/reminders/fitness/diet.. or even official apps for Bank of america/dominos/groupon etc..

The app store is definitely a work in progress... and I feel its more about getting more official apps for banks and restaurants, rather than NOT being able to find an app that you can use to get the job done..

ISSUES
    I'm not a fanboy... And I'm not oblivious to the fact that WP8 has some way to go...
    If I address the hardware, there's very little to fault..The camera works well and my screen hasn't shown any scratches yet (not using a screen guard ).. The only minor gripe being that one-handed use isn't the easiest - and I have reasonably big hands..

Moving on to software..
    I've had the ocassional drop in Wifi connection - yet to experience a crash though..
    Apps like Pandora and Temple Run have frozen and closed out on me without notice once each...IE too has shown reluctance in closing out a particular webpage( Youtube mobile... might be a conspiracy here ! ) The app store and music player though, do pause when I select an app / switch a song respectively..
    The switch between Landscape and Portrait isn't always consistent too...I'm not sure if certain apps just don't support alternate views however...The occasional error in notifications with live tiles...

All in all, its just a little rough around the edges...certainly not a pain in the long run..

..AND WHAT COULD BE BETTER
    The approach with WP8 seems a little over-simplistic at times...E.g the long single app list ..and the settings pages...its just an endless list which seems to have no end..
    A compartmentalized arrangement for settings and toggles should be more convenient ...A Notification center (of course!) is welcome, but I don't feel as much of a need, with up to 5 apps being able to update the lock-screen, and the live-tiles too..

Another thing that could..and should improve is the usage of Metro UI within apps...Space utilization definitely is an issue..
    Apps such as Whatsapp end up taking too much space with the keyboard and suggestions box ...leaving very little space to actually see the message history...
    Wordament and Facebook Beta are very good examples of how a content heavy app can stay true to the OS..

Well, that does it ! I can't believe I had so much to say...!
    Its a case of "So near, yet NOT so far" with WP...WP8 WILL get better...hopefully GDR2/3 and eventually 8.1 will bring a lot of what people want to see..
    Till then, I'm going to enjoy my 920 to the max !! Its a wonderful device and nobody should think twice about making a choice with it...

For anyone who had the patience to read through all that .... You are a real star !!
    Great post! As a guy who switched from the 810 to the 920, I have to say it's loads better (for me at least)! Congrats on your new acquisition :)
    thegamevg likes this.
    06-24-2013 04:13 PM
    Good to hear new users coming to WP.

When you get to the magic number (as some call it) of apps in windows phone you will get a jump list using which you won't have to scroll too much in the apps view.
    Wp8.1 might have a notification center if we go by the leaks online.
    You can have apps like Connectivity shortcuts(there are better apps) to pin essential settings like Wifi, Cellular, Bluetooth etc.. But i agree in Nokia phones it does get longer and longer with each update.
    The best apps on the platform use the space very well I agree. Whatsapp has an update coming in the near future, they promise improvements.Let's wait and see :)
    thegamevg likes this.
    06-24-2013 04:15 PM
    The screen that you talk about is something that really stands out to me. I don't have a screen protector either, and I'm hard on phones, and my phone still looks brand new after 4-5 months.
    06-24-2013 08:20 PM
    I was hoping to get a 925 since it was supposed to be thinner and lighter than the 920. I got a good deal on a 920 so I pulled the trigger and got that instead.

I have to say that I too am really liking the device. The size and weight issue was overblown because after a day of using the phone I really like the way it feels in my hand. Pictures don't also do it justice.
    06-24-2013 10:04 PM
    Welcome to the community!! Sure WP8 isn't perfect,it definitely needs work. With that said its still the best mobile OS out there. Enjoy the 920, I love mine :)
    06-24-2013 10:12 PM