Build Nokia 920 on TMobile data issues

Andy Dunn

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
In the last couple of weeks my 920 has been misbehaving. This is one of the unlocked phones from the build conference and has firmware 1308. The update was applied a long time ago and had been working just fine.

1. The network speed indicator has started to show L most of the time
2. Data is access is spotty - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't
3. Occasionally the phone will be super hot and the battery drains fast
4. Some MMS messages with media dont come through - instead I get 'Download Media Content' link which never actually works. Other times pictures work just fine.

From searching these forums it seems like several other issues - but none of them seem to apply to TMobile or Build phones. Problems fixed in 1314 on AT&T/Rogers - there's no update for me. I've tried editing the APN details that have been suggested - that seems to make no difference. I just limited myself to 3G to see if that changes anything.

Is there anything else I should try. I see some references to the Access Point software - I think there was an update to that in the timeframe. Can I delete that safely?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Build phone so I can't really help you specifically.

I do have an unlocked Rogers phone running on another carrier that uses AWS and I have issues with data at times even when the phone is showing 4G and 4 bars. After setting it to 3G as the max speed I find that my data is a little better for whatever reason.

The MMS issue - I have never been asked to download any content. Possibly the files that are sent to you might be bigger than T-Mobile's limit for MMS?

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I literally just got my BUILD L920 (1308) on the AT&T LTE network using the GoPhone plan since they allow LTE access now. Previously it was only getting 3G/HSPDA. Here's the short version: I think 1308 is pretty much hosed when it comes to 4G LTE.

I'm at the office so I haven't been able to test other locations but I ran some speed tests and when LTE works it IS faster than before. However the inconsistency in the data connection is unreal. Limiting max speed to 3G I get full bars and a pretty consistent data experience (on H/H+). Setting it to 4G I get 2-3 bars (in the same location), random timeouts, disconnects, lag, etc. I also noticed my battery drain increased dramatically - it went from 90% to 65% in a matter of 10-15 min. 1308 certainly seems broken in regards to 4G LTE and I hope that GDR2 includes fixes for it. In my previous conversations with Nokia care I asked them if the 1314 update would come to BUILD phones, they said no. When I pressed them and said I don't want to have the LTE issues since I'm on AT&T too they specifically said to switch max speed to 3G. At the time I was only allowed 3G speeds due to AT&T Go Phone's policy so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Also for those other folks that have unlocked/BUILD phones to get it on LTE I called up AT&T and told them I was switching phones and I had a new IEMI. I gave them an IEMI of a AT&T branded 920 and they re-provisioned my account with it. After that I was able to get "L" - granted it's busted for now.

Last edited:

Andy Dunn

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm real happy for you Ali, but AT&T service is very poor at my house so switching isn't an option for me right now.

I've been on '3g' for 24 hours and seems like I've had no connectivity issues today. I'm not sure what changed on TMobiles network 2 weeks ago - I've been on the same plan on the same SIM since Build last year with none of these problems.

I will try uninstalling the access point software as that seemed to be implicated in some of the other friends. Thankfully little I do needs a 4g connection so I'm not too bothered other than the fact I'm not getting what I pay for but thats my fault for using a 'non standard' phone I suppose ;-)

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm real happy for you Ali, but AT&T service is very poor at my house so switching isn't an option for me right now.

I've been on '3g' for 24 hours and seems like I've had no connectivity issues today. I'm not sure what changed on TMobiles network 2 weeks ago - I've been on the same plan on the same SIM since Build last year with none of these problems.

I will try uninstalling the access point software as that seemed to be implicated in some of the other friends. Thankfully little I do needs a 4g connection so I'm not too bothered other than the fact I'm not getting what I pay for but thats my fault for using a 'non standard' phone I suppose ;-)

I think you missed the point..? I never said to switch to AT&T. In short: 4g on the 1308 firmware phones have problems. Referring back to your own post:

"1. The network speed indicator has started to show L most of the time" Which now means it's connecting into a 4G network and not 3G. If T-Mobile has been re-farming their network in your area (which they are doing nationwide) then it's possible that your phone has the same issues that the AT&T users had when 1308 was initially rolled out. There's a big long sticky thread at the top describing the problems with 4G LTE when it happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea