How to improve lumia 920 image quality significant

LumiaChemist

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
In my last post i pointed out how the portico image process maybe work
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...rticos-image-algorithm-works.html#post2018414

Now i want to show you how to improve your image quality.
Signal to Noise Ratio will be a lot better meaning less noise and more sharpness.
All this without image stacking.

Step 1:
First open up your image in photoshop's raw converter.
step1.jpg
In this first tab i played a bit with the settings to give the image better makro and micro contrast.

Step 2:
Go to the third tab.
step2.jpg
For Luminace Noise you want something between 10-20. A good value for Color Noise is 15.
Press the button Open Image to confirm.

Step 3:
Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise
step3.jpg
Its import to use only very small values in the first two sliders because Photoshops Denoise Tool is very strong :smile:

Step 4:
Blow up the Image Resolution by 300%
step4.jpg

Step 5,6,7:
Use Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen with those values:
step5.jpg

Step 8:
Filter>Stylize>Diffuse with Anisotropic picked
step6.jpg

Step 9:
Resize to original Resolution
step7.jpg
Use Bicubic Sharper for best results.

Now lets look at the results :wink:

compare_1.jpg compare_2.jpg compare_3.jpg

Increased sharpness without noise, or with much less noise, thats something!

WP_20130705_001.jpg WP_20130705_001_opti.jpg

WP_20130515_001.jpg WP_20130515_001.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130517_007.jpg
    WP_20130517_007.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 5

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That would be something that could be done in Photoshop no matter what device one used to take the pictures. It would work with cameras too.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Whats your point? Sure you can, i have already done it with iphone 5 pictures of a friend of mine.

His point is this isn't improving the Lumia 920's image quality. It's just massaging the bits. The image quality is what comes out of the camera. Post processing isn't.

The best bet for improving image quality in the 920 is to not use Auto. Force a low ISO in brightly lit settings to cut down on graininess. Use sports mode to force a faster shutter (and a higher ISO if the light is bad) to reduce blur.Those are the only two things you can do to improve the image quality.

LumiaChemist

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
So what you say is image stacking, dark frame substraction, focus stacking, oversampling, etc which are all post processing steps dont increase image quality or psnr?
Nokia uses an anisotropic filter in his image processing, when you do image stacking with a post portico image you will see very similar results as with my method.
Only if you go far beyond 8-16 stacked images you will see a really improvement in the dark areas of the final stacking result.

Try it, use fitswork for example
and for now, here are three images to underline what i am saying.

first: this is one out of 80 images i took with proshot in timelapse modus.
wp_0.jpg

the next image is the result from stacking 80 pictures. 80 pictures is a lot and the downside here is, you need a tripod, you need time and if something in your image moves
you can see a blur in the final result.
Zielbild.jpg

and finaly the first image: gone through the steps i described. the dark areas lose quality but where detail existed the image noise is near the minimum in the stacked image and the sharpness is way greater because there is no blur because of moving objects.
wp_0_ani300.jpg

i get your point what you want to say with

It's just massaging the bits. The image quality is what comes out of the camera. Post processing isn't.
what i am trying to say is, this is different with the portico update. The lumia 920 already filtered the raw image with some sort of anisotropic filtering.

A way to really improve image quality would be saving the image in a raw format.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel