Live tiles suddenly stopped working on my L920...

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't manage to figure this one out for the life of me, but for some unknown reason the live tiles suddenly stopped working on my 920. Everything worked fine up until the last month or so. I've noticed that battery life is very erratic now too; some days I can make it > 16 hours w/o charging, and some days, with no usage, it will only last 3-4 hours before dying.

I've disabled all background tasks and tried adding in one-by-one, such as Amazing Weather or Weather Flow and for some reason they will never update. At this point, I've only got one program allowed to run in the background at a time, but nothing ever updates anymore. Tried rebooting many times, but no luck. No open tabs in IE either.

At this point I'm incredibly frustrated because I think I've tried everything short of a hard reset. Anyone else have any suggestion?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There hasn't been a solution to this "phenomenon" that I've ever read that fixes anything. The only thing I can offer is to make sure you've backed up everything you need to keep on your phone to the cloud and reset your phone to zilch. Then, one app at a time, repopulate your device. One app each day until you notice your live tiles zombie on you. Perhaps someone will chime in with a solution but I think the problem is in the OS itself. Until MS addresses it, you'll have to live with zombie tiles like I do.

thegooner

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've posted the below advice a couple of times:

Don't hard reset just yet - please see the advice about re-enabling all disabled background agents from the Settings > application page. Then opening the apps listed here one by one, as described in this thread:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nok...r-updating-after-firmware-update/td-p/1865002

NB: that thread has been updated since I was made aware of it - seems the issue can re-occur. However, Hoyland's solution on Page 2 of the thread worked for me.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link but unfortunately none of those seemed to work for me. Its quite frustrating that it just happened for no real reason and there doesn't seem to be any fix either. Also a little odd is that only 3rd party apps are affected and only live tile/lock screen updates. Push notifications still work like a champ.

Hopefully GDR2 takes care of it.if not I need to send this thing in for the FFC dust fix anyway so maybe the problem just takes care of itself.

If I happen across something that gets them working again, I'll be sure to post here.

longjohn87

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Just thought i'd chime in and say for about a week now my 920 live tiles also aren't updating (but push notifications works just fine...) I am positive it was when I updated 4 apps last week that the problem started... Problem is, I don't know what four apps I updated!!! and I am way to lazy to uninstall every single one of my apps to work out which one it was... is there no update download log??

mr toes

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
This happened me recently. If you soft reset the phone by holding down the volume down and power buttons, as soon as the phone starts up the third party live tiles don't work. The solution is to restart the phone and the live tiles should be working now. Hope this helps.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This happened me recently. If you soft reset the phone by holding down the volume down and power buttons, as soon as the phone starts up the third party live tiles don't work. The solution is to restart the phone and the live tiles should be working now. Hope this helps.

Doesn't work toes. If it were that simple I would think that info would come in the box. That is to say, none of these posts would be necessary. But again, if that worked for you, great.

longjohn87

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't work.. I've tried soft resets, "blocking" all background tasks, and nothing has worked... Hopefully the GDR2 update comes out for Telstra sometime in the next few weeks and fixes this issue for me :(

thedumbkid

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I just had my 2nd time when the live tiles stopped updating. I tried to remove apps I don't use that show up in my "background tasks" list.

I don't know exactly the solution or what app specifically, but after removing what I don't need live tiles seem to work again.

bbraune

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
After over a month of the live tiles not updating on my 920 I finally got them working again. Here is what I did:

I had 72 apps listed under "advanced" Background tasks. I deleted 7 apps that I have never used. Five of those apps do have live tiles on my start menu that I wanted to continue to be updated. For the remaining 60 apps, I opened each app one at a time to clear out any initial warning messages. I then went into the settings of each app to disable push notifications, live tile updates, and/or lock screen control. (I left the location service enabled if available) None of these 60 apps were pinned to the start menu, but one or more of those settings were turned on by default. Once I hit the magic sweet spot, my five live tiles starting updating again. No phone restart/reboot was necessary. My Weather Channel live tile that wouldn't update unless I opened the app is now updating again and I haven't opened the app since.

It's like I have a brand new phone.

I hope this information helps someone else with the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel