how is the 920 holding up against his cousins

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys feel how the lumia 920 is offering vs his newer cousins?

Is it still the big battery chunky power tank or has it already fallen behind the more/equal powerful but lighter 925, 928 and 1020?

Your guys opinion

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've just watched the 1020 launch event and have to say I'm impressed, but not so much that it's making the 920 seem jaded. I'm a convert to wireless charging, so the 925 and 1020 lack a feature I really value. The 928 is irrelevant to me, as I'm not in the US.

When I look at my 920, I still see a big sexy RED beast of a phone which I don't have to hide inside a cover and which needs no excuses from the iPhone/GS4 crowd. Quite the contrary, the 920 is still fresh with Nokia updating their software and Microsoft announcing extended software support for Windows Phone 8, it will stay that way.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it fits nicely into the most colorful lineup of smartphones ever

520, 620,720,820,920,1020

It holds up well against 928, 925 but I think 1020 is a different breed.

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Tmobile. The choice was, pay $529 for the 925, or bring my unlocked 920 from AT&T with me. I decided to stick with the 920. Here in Tampa, I get solid LTE signal on my 920 with Tmobile, 4G (HSPA+) in some less populated areas. And, solid signal strength all around. In addition, I get twice the memory (32GB vs 16) and I can easily plop it down on my wireless charger just like that. I'm satisfied with camera quality, reception, everything. So for me, I am so glad I made the choice to stick with the 920. I don't feel I'm missing out on a thing.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the 900 - got a 920 and did a review on my blog HERE.

The 920 doesn't feel much heavier than the 900 and looks mighty similiar. I don't find it heavy or unwieldy in any way. I got the same kind of thin rubber Nokia-branded black case for it, which doesn't change the shape of it and gives it good grip.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Few seasons have passes since I got my 920 and it is still the best smartphone IMO considering the blend of form and function.
The recent brothers are minor upgrades and are for ppl w/o the 920. 920 users can just sit back and relax. In terms of user exp it is still much better (and even faster) than the recent phones from other competitors. I'm not being biased.

Now for the 1020, they should have gave it another design language because like what crash (comment above) said, it is a different breed and I think it compromises the 920 form factor.

If MS would give us Amber + 8.1 quicker I could go another year with this phone.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
My first smartphone was iPhone 3G which was with me for 3 years... YES ... 3 years until it became very slow with the last software update provided by Apple for iPhone 3G. The reason I had been with Apple for 3 years was mainly the timely software updates and loads of apps in Apple AppStore.

However, with end of life of iPhone 3G, I decided to move on to Windows Phone. I got myself HTC Radar and stuck to it for 4 months before making a switch to its big brother HTC TITAN. I was pretty excited about bigger screen. But lack of software updates and HTC exclusive apps made me sick! During this time, I had been watching Nokia release Lumia series. I was also seeing that Nokia has been proactive in providing software updates and exclusive apps for Lumia series.

Then came Lumia 920. Lack of software support from HTC prepared me to move on to Nokia and within 3 months of using HTC TITAN I got myself Nokia Lumia 920. Nokia has a huge lot of exclusive apps for Windows Phone. With Nokia I am always sure of getting the best out of Windows Phone. Nokia has been consistently providing software update with bunch of exclusive apps. In India, I even got NOVA 3 for FREE! Not even once in last 6 months a thought to switch my phone has ever come into my mind. I think the only thing which can replace my Nokia Lumia 920 is another Nokia Lumia phone with following:

1) Full HD screen
2) Better battery life
3) Better camera
4) At least a quad core processor with 2 GB RAM
5) Inbuilt wireless charging.

A Lumia phone which can give me all of the above is a genuine upgrade for me and a reason for upgrade. until then, Lumia 920 RED makes each of my day refreshing! Thanks Nokia for giving me a serious and a lot better alternate to Apple iPhone!

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
it's doing pretty well. Most of the key app gaps are closed, the hardware seems to finally be stable (my second unit, first had dust/ffcamera & sensor fail) and it's no worse for wear and tear. It will hold up until the next wave of devices next year.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really being jaelous of the new Lumias personally as a 920 owner. While I loved the aluminium design of N8 (thus would likely love the aluminium Lumia), but there are tradeoffs to the lighter devices, such that I'm not necessarily ready to make. Also I do feel that 130g or so is too light for a 4,5"+ device that easily makes it feel a bit toyish for me. The weight of the 920 never bothered me, quite the contrary, I love that it's heavier.

The 925 is what would be available to me in Finland, but while I would suffice with 16gb of internal memory, I rather have the 32gb of the 920, cos I'm in the for the long haul with this one and I dont want to delete or move stuff around constantly. The other thing is the AMOLED-screen. I think it works pretty well with WP8, cos of there's so much black in the UI most of the time. However, the IPS on 920 is absolutely frigging gorgeous. That said, AMOLED has the benefit of the Nokia Glance-like features not sucking all of your battery and generally speaking the main OS view using less power due to turned off pixels.

If I didnt have my 920 right now, I have to say that I might opt for the 925 though. But it would be very tight.. cos I think 920 has a better balance for me, but in my books the aluminium design gets quite a bit of score from me :D But I'm really happy with my 920 regardless. Grass is always a tad greener in some aspects on the other side, but it's always a trade off of something.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could afford getting a wireless charger. I feel like I'm missing a lot of cool stuff about the 920 due to that. But there's just no way in hell I'll pay 60€ for a charger.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm just meh about the whole 925, 928 and 1020 "hardware upgrades" - in a much better position than 900 to 920 scenario of course. All I want is an OS update to fix notifications and Xbox Music along with my patchy 4G and my Lumia 920 will hold against a few more of 1025s and 1028s ;)

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I've just watched the 1020 launch event and have to say I'm impressed, but not so much that it's making the 920 seem jaded. I'm a convert to wireless charging, so the 925 and 1020 lack a feature I really value. The 928 is irrelevant to me, as I'm not in the US.

When I look at my 920, I still see a big sexy RED beast of a phone which I don't have to hide inside a cover and which needs no excuses from the iPhone/GS4 crowd. Quite the contrary, the 920 is still fresh with Nokia updating their software and Microsoft announcing extended software support for Windows Phone 8, it will stay that way.

I'm on the same boat as you are bro, i dont feel for a sec that i should upgrade my RED Beast... ( other than the monkier 41mp Sensor )
All the bells and wishles will come to the 9xx line which 1020 has, i bet the battery life will be much improved in the amber update on 920.

Currently i take Loads of Pics from my 920,every single person knows it, and every single Person is asking me " so are you getting the 1020 ? it is for you "
i love my 920 more than anything, will upgrade when i get 1080p res phablet design and a 41mp sensor, I can wait till this happens :winktongue:

this are some of my clicks on flickr Flickr: amrut.m's Photostream

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa