07-18-2013 09:18 AM
26 12
tools
    I've been trying to get a car chager for my 920 that can actually CHARGE when I'm using it in the car. By "Using" I mean running navigation and playing local music via bluetooth. (occasionally using pandora but that's rare). I have tried 4 different car chargers, ranging from $5 internet ripoffs to $10 Incipio ones(5V 1A) and $35 ones sold by radioshack that claims 5V/3.1A output, but every time I end up with LESS battery after I finish the drive. That leads me to think that it's the phone's issue that the USB port may not take a large current for protection, etc etc.

So my question is: if I'm stuck with micro USB(not considering the wireless charging holder, which sells for like $60?), is it even possible to actually charge my phone when I'm running navigation and bluetooth?
    07-14-2013 03:36 PM
    Weird. I can't help you, but I can say that your experience doesn't match my own - no issues with (928) nav + Bluetooth music playback using a cheap charger that I picked up at a truck stop. Is the phone possibly defective?
    07-14-2013 04:01 PM
    On my HTC One X, I had an old RocketFish car charger and when running navigation on my phone, it seemed as if the phone would not charge at all or if it did, would stay constant on the same percentage- so I can agree on that level

Here is the car charger I use now with my Lumia 920, and it charges quickly, even when the phone is in full use (streaming music/navi)

Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
    07-14-2013 04:15 PM
    That a USB charger might struggle to power a modern smartphone is definitely possible. I've seen it a few times myself.

USB chargers should provide at least 1A, but many car chargers struggle with that. If your USB charger can provide 1.5A (which is the standard for dedicated charging ports) it should have absolutely no trouble keeping up with your smartphones power usage. In your case, it doesn't sound like your charger is the problem (3.1A is extreme).

How long does your L920 take to charge when plugged in with a wall charger? If you can fully charge a L920 in three hours or less, then I think it's safe to assume that the charging port on your device is fine. Have you tested that?

If it's not your device's charging port or your charger, then there remains the possibility of your car's charging port not being able to deliver enough current. A friend of mine went through a similar process, only to discover that the car's charging port was broken. Have you tested that?

If all else fails, then you might want to dig out an ampere-meter. It's the only way to really be sure what is going on.
    07-14-2013 05:43 PM
    The car charger can't keep up with your usage. The best way I found is to buy the inverter that has the home outlets in it as to that's what I use. Charges a lot faster with that device instead of USB.
    07-14-2013 08:32 PM
    My Lumia 920 doesn't even charge in cars, no matter if I use just a USB cable, or proper car charger...
    07-14-2013 08:34 PM
    yes. most cheap car chargers only provide 1A over 5V per port.
    seek out specifically for ones that provice 2.1 A over 5V per port
    07-14-2013 08:42 PM
    07-14-2013 09:10 PM
    some updates: pretty sure that my car is capable of delivering enough power, the adapter port on the car is directly connected to battery, so it works even when engine is not running. It's standard 12V 10A port so power is not a problem. The 5V/3.1A one I bought from radioshack doesn't really work - I started with 15% power, went for a 15-20min drive with navi and bluetooth, and end up with 12%.

@a5cent: I haven't tested that, but I think it fully charges in 3hrs. I use wireless charging pad all the time though.
    07-14-2013 09:14 PM
    What you guys need is a USB charging cable. A standard USB cable will only allow 500mA.
    07-14-2013 09:21 PM
    I've been trying to get a car chager for my 920 that can actually CHARGE when I'm using it in the car. By "Using" I mean running navigation and playing local music via bluetooth. (occasionally using pandora but that's rare). I have tried 4 different car chargers, ranging from $5 internet ripoffs to $10 Incipio ones(5V 1A) and $35 ones sold by radioshack that claims 5V/3.1A output, but every time I end up with LESS battery after I finish the drive. That leads me to think that it's the phone's issue that the USB port may not take a large current for protection, etc etc.

So my question is: if I'm stuck with micro USB(not considering the wireless charging holder, which sells for like $60?), is it even possible to actually charge my phone when I'm running navigation and bluetooth?
    http://www.nokia.com/my-en/products/...pecifications/

Get this one. I had the same problem as you - this one works like a charm. It's actually not an issue with the charger, it's the cable that causes the problem. If I use the DC-20's cable with another 2 amp charger, it'll work as well. If I use the same charger with a different cable (even the one that came with the phone), it won't work. I have absolutely no idea what's so different about the cable that comes with the DC-20, but for me it is the only one that allows the 920 to draw enough power from the charger to actually charge the phone while using navigation software.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-14-2013 09:26 PM
    I use this with my 2.1A car charger and I can leave the screen on running nav the whole time and it is able to charge the phone still.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ch...pUvbUpU2038126
    07-14-2013 09:31 PM
    The problem is you need a charge only USB cable, a data and charge cable will cause it to charge at .5A no matter the car chargers rating.
    07-14-2013 09:33 PM
    The problem is you need a charge only USB cable, a data and charge cable will cause it to charge at .5A no matter the car chargers rating.

Actually it all depends on the charger.

A charge cable just shorts the data lines together indicating the phone should be able to pull more than 500mA. But some chargers (typically Android phone labeled ones) actually short the cables internally, therefore with those, any cable, data or charge only will work.
    07-14-2013 09:41 PM
    07-14-2013 10:33 PM
    @a5cent: I haven't tested that, but I think it fully charges in 3hrs. I use wireless charging pad all the time though.
    In this case wireless charging is of no interest, so I would suggest you do that test so you can rule out your device's charging port. You should be able to plug in the wall charger and go from nearly empty to a fully charged battery in 3h or less.

It's standard 12V 10A port so power is not a problem.
    I prefer to measure myself ;-) Even a charging port that can deliver 10A could be defective and not do so. There is no way, under any circumstance, that a functional 3.1A charger couldn't keep up with your L920. Based on the fact that you've already tried multiple chargers that were specified to deliver more than 1A, I find it unlikely that your problem is with the charger.
    07-14-2013 11:33 PM
    In this case wireless charging is of no interest, so I would suggest you do that test so you can rule out your device's charging port. You should be able to plug in the wall charger and go from nearly empty to a fully charged battery in 3h or less.

I prefer to measure myself ;-) Even a charging port that can deliver 10A could be defective and not do so. There is no way, under any circumstance, that a functional 3.1A charger couldn't keep up with your L920. Based on the fact that you've already tried multiple chargers that were specified to deliver more than 1A, I find it unlikely that your problem is with the charger.
    Again - I went through several 2+A chargers and none of them worked except for the DC-20. There's a thread about this over at Nokia Forums where other people had the same experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-15-2013 04:59 AM
    Again - I went through several 2+A chargers and none of them worked except for the DC-20. There's a thread about this over at Nokia Forums where other people had the same experience.
    Well that's strange. That suggests we've got a widely used alternative car charging standard in use.
    07-15-2013 08:07 AM
    07-15-2013 08:10 AM
    I tried using the nokia wall charger that comes with the phone, with the USB cable from HP touchpad, and I'm able to charge about 20%-25% in half an hour, so I think the phone is fine. (Is it possible that the nokia wall charger actually "talks" to the phone/short data wires internally so the cable doesn't matter?)
    It does ring a bell, though, that the difference between "normal" cable and "charging" cable might be the issue. I'm using a cable that came with a 1A, dual port charger I have, that might be the "normal" cable, which makes more sense that if you split 1A to 2 ports it falls within USB standard, so they never bothered to throw in "charging" cable. I'll see if I can confirm this, my company is in semiconductor so I'm sure there's some testing stuff(meters, etc) lying around.

I'll look into all the options everybody suggests. Thanks all for the help.
    07-15-2013 09:38 AM
    Yeah, the charger is probably shorting the pins internally. I have a Palm car charger with a USB port that does that and it works with standard cables, while the USB port on my bluetooth add-on doesn't and I need to use a charge cable with it.

EDIT: This is the Palm one I have, it's charged every phone I've used it with.

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Vehicle-P...pUvbUpU2038804
    Last edited by trwrt; 07-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    07-15-2013 12:50 PM
    I bought a 2.1 amp charger and it works fine. The phone needs 1 amp or more.
    07-15-2013 12:57 PM
    Yea I'm pretty sure most wall chargers short the pin internally, I am not so sure about car chargers...especially if they are inexpensive ones
    07-15-2013 02:13 PM
    Yea I'm pretty sure most wall chargers short the pin internally, I am not so sure about car chargers...especially if they are inexpensive ones
    Exactly. I did a bunch of googling and read some amazon reviews, and this might be the core reason. Unfortunately, most car chargers don't specify whether they short the data pins internally or not. And with the popularity of apple devices, they are more likely NOT to short it, and put a resistor in between, so Apple device can use their way of identifying a charger and charge with full power. This will cause MOST devices to charge with no more than 500mA current. I guess I'll just get a $5 one with 2.1A rating and DIY myself.
    irvin792 likes this.
    07-15-2013 03:02 PM
    I've been trying to get a car chager for my 920 that can actually CHARGE when I'm using it in the car. By "Using" I mean running navigation and playing local music via bluetooth. (occasionally using pandora but that's rare). . . .
    I have that exact issue. Using Here Drive while streaming music to the car's bluetooth I have killed the battery before. Actually, I've killed it with just Drive and not streaming music before.
    07-16-2013 12:21 PM
26 12