Lumia 920 camera won't focus beyone a couple of feet.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but you seem to be completely misunderstanding what's going on here. I'm pretty sure this guy is experiencing the same problem as me. The phone, regardless of whether the subject is 2m, 10m or 1km away struggles to focus. Settings make no difference whatsoever and there's no reason why any of them would except maybe for macro.

The only consistent solution I've found is to find a spot within the photo which the camera is able to consistently focus on. This means tapping on the screen itself is mandatory. The challenge is finding that spot, especially if you're trying to snap a few quick photos. Most cameras will struggle to focus if the target area doesn't have enough detail. The problem with the Lumia is that even in spots with contrast and detail the camera will struggle to focus. That's why you have to hunt around to find a spot that works.

The only thing I know for sure is that this is a software problem because started after the update that improved photo quality. I never had an issue before that. I'm the problem hasn't been acknowledged given how widespread it seems to be. Actually, I'm curious to know if the problem occurs with the 925/928.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem you describe here with my 920. Never had any focusing issues until after that last update. Now it takes me several tries to get the camera to focus no matter what I'm shooting. It's so frustrating! I move the camera around until I can get it to focus (pressing the camera button halfway) then while still holding the button halfway pressed, move the camera to get the shot I want, then fully press the button to take the picture. That seems to work. I find it easier to use the camera button than tapping on the screen only because it's easier for me to hold the camera steady that way.

At first, I thought this problem was just me, but I see now it's happening to other people as well. I sincerely hope the upcoming Amber update resolves this problem.

ivo03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Try these:
Clean the lense
Reset camera
Check if all camera settings are in auto mode, then change iso to 100, and back to auto if you wish
Install one or more of the following apps: oneshot, camera 360, proshot. Play with manual and auto focus and see if the issue is persistent or not.

cristianorueda

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too.

Solution:
1. Idea: I just want to make a picture from my foots.
2. Settings: Auto.
3. Far away in front is a tree a wall or etc, FOCUS HERE, but press the camera button in HALF just for focus!
4. Move your phone downwards to the foots, see: everything is sharp!
Tip: volume up! If focus is right, is there sound, if not, there is not sound.

Can't wait for GDR2, hope fix this..

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
this happens to me if there is a dust on my 920s camera lens cover. but if i try to manually focus in proshot its working.
always clean your cover lens if theres a dust or something it might solve your problem

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the GDR2 update fixed the problem for me. The camera can focus perfectly now and it's even slightly faster than before. :D

RStock521

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
This makes me happy to hear that it has been addressed in the update. I wonder why it affected some devices, but not others? That update can't come soon enough. I was dogging on my girlfriends iPhone then I got the 920 and the pictures were no good, she won the battle, but she has not won the war! haha

Alessia Costanzo

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
hi can you please tell me from where i can download the GDR2 update , i have the same problem no focusing at all after my friend did an update on my lumia 710 . maybe with this update it will help

thanks

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, none of the updates fixed it. Finally sent it back to Nokia for warranty Repair last week, got it back 4 days later, worked fine.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
hi can you please tell me from where i can download the GDR2 update , i have the same problem no focusing at all after my friend did an update on my lumia 710 . maybe with this update it will help

thanks

Hell-o and Welcome to WPC Alessia!
Maybe if you could repost in the 710 forum area here:
Nokia Lumia 710 - Windows Phone Central Forums
Another 710 owner could help you.
Was the 710 not eligible for the Lumia Black update? (GDR3)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss