I really love the way the 920 looks. And would love it if there was a way to get it to work perfectly on T-Mobile. Now I know there are a ton of threads on this so dont tell me to go read those. They have lots of pages and so much info that I get lost in them plus they are old and the info may have changed. Before the best route was to get the Rogers 920 because it had the necessary bands to be used on T-Mobile. However, since then T-Mobile has been updating to LTE and I was wondering if an unlocked 920 from AT&T would work because T-Mobile uses similar bands (the 925 on one page on T-Mobile says it uses 850, 900, 1800, 1900). I say this only because a lot of my research has had me seeing that there are a lot of steps in making a Rogers work with TMobile and lots of times there are problems like MMS limitations and the like. If the Rogers is the best way to go then my question is this, people say you should set the highest speed setting to 3G, but if you do that can you get speeds higher than 3G and also would you get the new LTE that TMobile has been updating to?!? please I'm in desperate need of answers. I've been searching for so long and I'm new to the technical side of phones and I would really like the 920. (plz dont say just get the 925)
    07-23-2013 02:02 AM
    Best choice is Rogers 920 unlocked. Forget about lte. Set the device to 3G. In actually your tmobiles 4G speed(hspa+). I did this for my brother. Worked like a charm.
    theroyboy44 likes this.
    07-23-2013 02:09 AM
    Best choice is Rogers 920 unlocked. Forget about lte. Set the device to 3G. In actually your tmobiles 4G speed(hspa+). I did this for my brother. Worked like a charm.
    So you saying when you set it to 3G it actually uses the 4G (hspa+)?? And when you say forget about LTE, do you mean that I won't be able to catch LTE speeds. And yea I have a 8X which doesn't have LTE so it's not a problem but I'm just wondering in case there is a method to get a 920 on T-Mobile and be able to use LTE and everything else. Thanks a lot!
    07-23-2013 02:22 AM
    Yes you well get 4g(hspa+). And yes you won't get lte. I'm not sure about the at&t version of the Lumia 920 lte bands but I do know for sure you will not have the (1700/2100) bands which give you 3G/4G. But you will get the 1900 refarmed band which honestly sucks
    07-23-2013 02:32 AM
    But also wouldn't the refarmed bands get rid of the need of the 1700. I ask only cuz I have seen that the 925 uses the 850, 900, 1800, 1900 (I have seen it on T-Mobile and also here on WP Central showing the 925 listed with the 1700 band also not listing as supported band so I don't know that means) and I think those are the ones the AT&T uses. But I could be mistaken about T-Mobile in that they allow the use of a new band for the faster speeds but still use the 1700 band.
    07-23-2013 10:12 AM
    A Rogers 920 will give you access to all of T-Mobile's network, LTE included. The problem I personally have encountered is because their LTE network isn't that good where i live setting the phone higher than 3G can cause connection issues but on 3G it works fine 99% of the time.

My guess is either its the network or the phone but for some reason in their poorer coverage areas when set to LTE it doesn't gracefully switch to slower frequencies and/or keeps trying to connect to LTE and gets stuck causing data connections to fail. Setting to 3G avoids this for me but if you're in a better coverage area it might work fine for you.

As for other connections, SMS works as does tethering with no apn settings entered, I don't use mms so can't comment on that but overall i think the Rogers is the best version to get.
    07-23-2013 10:28 AM
    A Rogers 920 will give you access to all of T-Mobile's network, LTE included. The problem I personally have encountered is because their LTE network isn't that good where i live setting the phone higher than 3G can cause connection issues but on 3G it works fine 99% of the time.

My guess is either its the network or the phone but for some reason in their poorer coverage areas when set to LTE it doesn't gracefully switch to slower frequencies and/or keeps trying to connect to LTE and gets stuck causing data connections to fail. Setting to 3G avoids this for me but if you're in a better coverage area it might work fine for you.

As for other connections, SMS works as does tethering with no apn settings entered, I don't use mms so can't comment on that but overall i think the Rogers is the best version to get.

And just to double check like the guy before said, when you set it to 3G you get TMobiles "4G" (HSPA+) speeds right. Also the settings you used to put in the APN are pretty much the basic ones I see everyone else posting on the threads about connecting with a Rogers 920 right? And thanks a lot man!
    07-23-2013 11:03 AM
    And just to double check like the guy before said, when you set it to 3G you get TMobiles "4G" (HSPA+) speeds right. Also the settings you used to put in the APN are pretty much the basic ones I see everyone else posting on the threads about connecting with a Rogers 920 right? And thanks a lot man!
    Yes, when switched to 3G in the cellular settings my highest possible connection says "4G" indicating its on Tmo's HSPA + network. And I dont have anything defined for APN, I dont use MMS which might probably need configuring but everything else works. Only change I have made to help with the varying signal in my area is to manually set the network to Tmobile instead of automatic which seems to help my data reception.
    07-23-2013 04:45 PM