Fix, replace or go for a 1020?

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Despite the fact that I had a protective case, my phone fell off a desk and crashed onto a tile floor and breaking the screen. It is a big spider web of a mess!

Amazingly, it still works just as if it was new except it is difficult to read the screen through all the cracks. I am screwed because I only purchased my phone this past November. I normally only get a new phone after the 2yr contract and only if there is something new I really want. And, no I did not purchase insurance. This is the first phone in 15+ years that I have broken.

So, doing some research, I can get my screen replaced for about $250. I can get a new unlocked Nokia 920 on Amazon for ~$400 Or, pay $300 for a 1020 (plus new 2yr contract)

I have not been able to handle a 1020, so not sure how balanced that lump on the back will be. I am also concerned it will have a battery life worse than the 920

Not sure what to do, sucks! One thing for sure, I will be getting a better case next time.

williehutch03

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd try to hold out and get a 1020 first and keep your 920 as a backup and get your screen repaired at a later date. I feel you on the batter concerns though. Also I hope the 1020 does not get hot like the 920 when using GPS related apps.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd try to hold out and get a 1020 first and keep your 920 as a backup and get your screen repaired at a later date. I feel you on the batter concerns though. Also I hope the 1020 does not get hot like the 920 when using GPS related apps.

My biggest issue with the 1020 right now is you have to pay extra for the wireless charging plate where in the 920 is was free. I do agree, the 920 gets very hot charging and using certain apps.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
renewing your contract NOW with a high probability of Windows Blue devices a few months from now (an estimate)? I'd not pick up the L1020 mostly because im under the impression we would expect to see the true L920 successor later this year...but thats all a guess. If i were you, i'd personally just sell the 920 and use the cash to pick up a 521 in the meantime. unless you REALLY want the camera.

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I forget about the Blue Devices. I may just get a screen protector stick on thing and live with it for a few months. It works perfectly except for the spider web