Breakthrough in Forcing GDR2 update.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So I was tired of constantly overshooting my 12GB LTE data bundle (don't ask how I manage to do so every month), so I decided to try to find out if there is a way of forcing GDR2 to get Data Sense.

First, I used fiddler and connected my Lumia 920 to fiddler2. Success! I can see everything that the phone does with the internet, even see where the phone gets its tile updates from.

Second, I tried checking for an update, then went to fiddler to realise it doesn't go through a secure server to check updates. BREAKTHROUGH! Then the phone downloads 2 files, a DLL file called 5_UssDetection.dll and a CAB file called duredir.cab which I assume is some kind of update checker. It repeats this "download-and-check" process several times until it concludes that there is no new update.

Now, fiddler has a function called AutoResponder, which if the phone requests for something, it will reply differently (EXAMPLE 1: You can configure AutoResponder so that whoever asks for wheat bread they'll get sourdough instead).

What I need now is for someone who has gotten the GDR2 update notification, and hasn't downloaded the update yet. This method will work for ALL WP8 phones (I won't be responsible if you get bricked)

I need your help with this :)

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
As in the Windows Store? No but I have possibly found a way of piracy on Windows Phone 8 through the fiddler method. I will not mention it here though. It is a rather easy method but requires alot of patience.

Update store? No but my buddy has access to all Navifirm FWs (works as a technician at Nokia) and will let me download a ROM for my 920 (hopefully, a Amber/GDR2)

Still working on finding the GDR2 updates. If only you can update your phone's FW/SW via a desktop application.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought that you generally could not find a desktop application to flash firmware with -sorry 

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Technically, you are not wrong though. I worded my sentence wrongly. What I meant as a desktop application as in like Zune, where when WP7 users get an update, we would use fiddler to get the link and share it with the community

dragonballz2k

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone ever try mimic microsoft update server? If your friend gives you update he might also have the signing key. If he does you might be able to code which mimic the update checking progress, and then use a proxy to redirect the initial request then it might update.

Don't know if possible never really looked at windows phone 8 update process

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
As in the Windows Store? No but I have possibly found a way of piracy on Windows Phone 8 through the fiddler method. I will not mention it here though. It is a rather easy method but requires alot of patience.

Update store? No but my buddy has access to all Navifirm FWs (works as a technician at Nokia) and will let me download a ROM for my 920 (hopefully, a Amber/GDR2)

Still working on finding the GDR2 updates. If only you can update your phone's FW/SW via a desktop application.

This had im a stiches for a second then i realized the gigantic written possibly.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone ever try mimic microsoft update server? If your friend gives you update he might also have the signing key. If he does you might be able to code which mimic the update checking progress, and then use a proxy to redirect the initial request then it might update.

Don't know if possible never really looked at windows phone 8 update process

WP8 calls a CAB to find out whether there is a necessary update. If I redirect the CAB to (forsay, a local server), I want to see how the phone reacts. Will it detect it as an update and download and install? Or will I need to crack the .dll to see what it does.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Any updates on this. I wish I could update the Hauwei W1 to 8.1
Microsoft blocked the update for this phone after a while

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium