I wrote this to Microsoft.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I swear we should have a specific thread grouping just for "lets whine about what we don't like about Microsoft and WP8 today" - Keep it as a sticky - that way everyone that wants to whinge can - and those of us that haven't got any issues with their phones or the OS can just ignore you all.

wpcentral has all the power to do so, just the admin and the owner of this site don't want to :)

WP8addict

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
oh boy, i'm guessing you guys are going to be disappointed with GDR2, specially with this heavy expectations out of it.....trust me, Back in Mid April when we got the GDR2 update to our Nokia R&D lab for testing we were disappointed as soon as we finished flashing it on a 920. I still remember after finished flashing, my friend & co-worker removed the "proto L920" from the PC and got it started "get started" --- NEXT, "accept license agreement" --- "I AGREE", As soon as he saw next window "Sign in with microsoft live id" he was livid, we were on to Microsoft's a*s from a long time telling them to prompt for "Turning Wi-Fi on" window before "Sign in with microsoft live id". How can the user sign in with just from the speed of his mobile sim internet and do the recovery of all his previously installed app's, games & settings (well not to forget if he has an internet plan activated on his sim card in the first place). We raised this issue with Microsoft again and MS told they will resolve this by the time we get to the final stages of GDR2. And don't forget if u don't "sign in" at this point, you can't do a recovery of your mobile. You have to search in the store and install every app & every game manually which you previously had on your mobile.

This is just the starting, you don't want to know the surprise waiting for us as soon as we are done with the "quick settings" and on to the "start menu". All we found was "Data Sense", "glance" "color profile's" slight camera improvements (increased ISO and all) not to forget "smartcam" and "FM", is that all, sadly yes. we were not fully happy with the "others storage" fix though but still as they say something is better than nothing, now you may loose 450MB to 2GB to "others". not more than that. Also we were expecting some improved audio codec and bitrate supports in "Music+Videos" but wont blame all MS for this there are also "Qualcomm" limitations.

Oh i forget couple main things......the speaker volume, u got to give it to MS on this, it blew me away (you guys will love the sound of your music, specially if you own a 920) and you will be glad to know the "battery backup is improved" particularly for L920 (no more surprise battery drains). And BTW no "Task manager", seriously whoever started that rumor. really you want a task manager for this eco system.

But what we are mostly disappointed is, this update should have gone OTA by June end like we first planned. You can't keep users waiting this long giving them this little.

BUT I CAN SAY THIS, YOU WONT BE WAITING LONG FOR GDR3.

L920 GDR2 (Amber) coming up first for at&t in few days.

Last edited:

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I love the fact that there are people on here defending poor little MS. Yeah poor them. Were asking for features that are basic and from feature phones from 2005 and people are defending Microsoft from our senseless attacks.
If you guys are happy with your phones, take your extremely low standards and dance off into the moonlight. Those of us with a little taste and expectation want more, and are paying for more. And we are allowed to ask for it since we are voting with our cash

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Lets not forget something here, we are paying more than the Phone would cost if they stayed on Symbian (a Symbian that is properly developed and supported). While Nokia is bringing it they are doing themselves no favours with Microsoft.

WP8addict

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
So, what do you know either about the timing of GDR3 or what it might contain?
I hate to say "I can't tell you right now", so please don't ask..... Schedule is for Nov 2013 release, supports full HD resolution & snapdragon (S4 400 & adreno 300+), better nfc support with android & ios devices and many other surprises. also u cannot say "file manager" but we are working on something similar :p

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the fact that there are people on here defending poor little MS. Yeah poor them. Were asking for features that are basic and from feature phones from 2005 and people are defending Microsoft from our senseless attacks.
If you guys are happy with your phones, take your extremely low standards and dance off into the moonlight. Those of us with a little taste and expectation want more, and are paying for more. And we are allowed to ask for it since we are voting with our cash

<TROLL FEEDING>
well then I don't understand why you opted-in in the first place ;) vote Android, bro.. I came for the design, social integration, camera and simplicity. I got delivered.
</TROLL FEEDING>

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Bottom line is if you want features that aren't present on a phones OS when it launches WTF are you doing buying that phone in the first place? Anyone with any amount of common sense would think "WP8 hmm - no orientation lock, no file manager, no notification centre, the capacitive buttons are too bright in the dark and blind me when im staring at a 4.5 inch screen. I need these things maybe I should buy an iphone"

Who in there right mind would buy a phone on a platform that's missing features that you want? Anyone that bought a WP8 device should have done their research first and realised it wasn't up to the standards of ios and android.

In all fairness you cant complain that something is missing when you knew it wasn't there in the first place.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

This goes both ways...if you're so unhappy with your WP, go buy an iPhone or an Android and GTFO!

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 920 on release day. Research what you bellends? wp8 had been out for 5 minutes and not a single review said 'by the way, xbox music is useless, no video store and the Bluetooth is hilariously bad. Also, expect your phone to make lots of little dings and pings but if its not one of the apps you've pinned (the only way toast notifications work properly is if you pin EVERYTHING, negating the need for a menu), good luck finding out what!'

Had anyone warned me, i would have steered clear. Im on a 1 year contract and paying handsomely for it, so during said year let me moan. Next year when i leave, i promise ill stop moaning but for not i have every right to. Im not a troll, im an ***** who left a sophisticated and evolved (if sinfully boring) os for this unfinished piece of crap

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is if you want features that aren't present on a phones OS when it launches WTF are you doing buying that phone in the first place? Anyone with any amount of common sense would think "WP8 hmm - no orientation lock, no file manager, no notification centre, the capacitive buttons are too bright in the dark and blind me when im staring at a 4.5 inch screen. I need these things maybe I should buy an iphone"

Who in there right mind would buy a phone on a platform that's missing features that you want? Anyone that bought a WP8 device should have done their research first and realised it wasn't up to the standards of ios and android.

In all fairness you cant complain that something is missing when you knew it wasn't there in the first place.

Again research what?? Wp7 wasn't great, wp8 was supposed to be the evolution, the arrival as a great os. That's how it wad billed. How on earth could one find out about the shortcomings of the os if they weren't mentioned anywhere in reviews? i was an early adopter, there was no research for me to draw upon. Clever clogs

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought a 920 on release day. Research what you bellends? wp8 had been out for 5 minutes and not a single review said 'by the way, xbox music is useless, no video store and the Bluetooth is hilariously bad. Also, expect your phone to make lots of little dings and pings but if its not one of the apps you've pinned (the only way toast notifications work properly is if you pin EVERYTHING, negating the need for a menu), good luck finding out what!'

Had anyone warned me, i would have steered clear. Im on a 1 year contract and paying handsomely for it, so during said year let me moan. Next year when i leave, i promise ill stop moaning but for not i have every right to. Im not a troll, im an ***** who left a sophisticated and evolved (if sinfully boring) os for this unfinished piece of crap

The reviews were all there and most of them weren't very complimentary well before any phones arrived in the stores. In most places the 8X was on the shelves at least two to three weeks before the 920's came out. The media jumped all over WP8 and highlighted every shortcoming and misgiving it had. Poor excuse for what you see is a poor purchase.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The reviews were all there and most of them weren't very complimentary well before any phones arrived in the stores. In most places the 8X was on the shelves at least two to three weeks before the 920's came out. The media jumped all over WP8 and highlighted every shortcoming and misgiving it had. Poor excuse for what you see is a poor purchase.

look at all the heat :) I'm sure in the land of endless possibilities there's one to swap phones with someone willing, e.g. on these forums, however if you prefer the moaning, so be it

*walks away*

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is a game for MS. Lets be honest. Its just a toy. Just like the Xbox division. Both highly profitable and marketable toys yes, but MS has no genuine obligation to them. They can kill both tomorrow and walk away without a scratch.
It would walk away from its shot at relevance in the largest consumer electronics market, and from its biggest consumer mind share win in a decade.

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say "I can't tell you right now", so please don't ask..... Schedule is for Nov 2013 release, supports full HD resolution & snapdragon (S4 400 & adreno 300+), better nfc support with android & ios devices and many other surprises. also u cannot say "file manager" but we are working on something similar :p
while everyone else is ******** and moaning... I for one want to thank you for this info. Thanks for sharing!

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Yes...thanks for that info if you can hear me above all the shouting! So is GDR3 stacking up to be a "major" update?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Again research what?? Wp7 wasn't great, wp8 was supposed to be the evolution, the arrival as a great os. That's how it wad billed. How on earth could one find out about the shortcomings of the os if they weren't mentioned anywhere in reviews? i was an early adopter, there was no research for me to draw upon. Clever clogs
Here's your warning: Don't ever be an early adopter. Obviously, you can't handle the inherent risk involved.

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Ah so its ok then, silly me. I think its ****, media think its ****, but because some of you are ok with it they should just leave it.
Ok, guess you guys are right. Some of you are happy with the fact that its clearly unfinished so the rest of us should shut up.
Makes sense

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans