I wrote this to Microsoft.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Again research what?? Wp7 wasn't great, wp8 was supposed to be the evolution, the arrival as a great os. That's how it wad billed. How on earth could one find out about the shortcomings of the os if they weren't mentioned anywhere in reviews? i was an early adopter, there was no research for me to draw upon. Clever clogs

You might consider waiting a bit longer the next time before jumping in the pool. If memory serves, reviews were out within 2-4 weeks after introduction that listed the Pros & Cons of WP8. Since you just had to have if first so you could crow to the wind, me thinks you got what you deserved.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This little battle between those that are disgruntled and those that are ok with the current state of affairs is rather assinine. I find the truth to lay somewhere in the middle. The reality is that even those that are ok with the (reasonably) sorry state of affairs are still in the same boat as the disgruntled customer. They are both hoping for most of the same fixes, same updates, same dreams, same success, same market share increase, same apps. Etc. I tend to side with the disgruntled customer as they have spent money and have every right to demand their money's worth. MS did not advertise their product to be exactly what we have today, did they? No! did they advertise lackluster support and features? MS's markets themselves as industry leader, but we all know that are actively trying to measure up. They nature of their software releases say this much. But at the same time, i think I try to take the patience of the WP hopeful conformist in that I am trying to reason that future updates will resolve most complaints and produce an OS and ecosystem that will attract market share. But at some point the reality is that it is extremely possible that MS can the way of RIM in the mobile department. Too little too late can be a bad thing. I dont see why people can argue against those who rant about missing features. My suggestion is to advise them to be patient as they have the same hopes you do.

I for one came over from a iPhone buying into the view that MS had. I think I was sold an idea, not an actual product. I think we are all in the same boat...waiting for the idea to be realized in a great product. The WP7 was a foot in the door. Windows8 and WP8 are paving the way...We all hope that 8.1 at least is another significant step forward. The industry really hopes so too. When WP8.1 is revealed in press release, they...the press...customers...OEMs...even competitors...will be expecting something game changing. IF it is a catch up to competitors...it will be bad for us.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say "I can't tell you right now", so please don't ask..... Schedule is for Nov 2013 release, supports full HD resolution & snapdragon (S4 400 & adreno 300+), better nfc support with android & ios devices and many other surprises. also u cannot say "file manager" but we are working on something similar :p

lol s4 400 i hope you are false cuz that would be lame,we need 600 and 800 series this gpu adreno 225 will eat the 300

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You might consider waiting a bit longer the next time before jumping in the pool. If memory serves, reviews were out within 2-4 weeks after introduction that listed the Pros & Cons of WP8. Since you just had to have if first so you could crow to the wind, me thinks you got what you deserved.

Again, you seem to be happy with an unfinished os with loads of flaws. How about i come to your car and remove the windscreen wipers? Not a huge thing. Your car could get by. You could still drive around. Find some sort of short term fix. Bit of rainex or something.

No, you expect your car manufacturer to hand you a car that does the minimum basic things a car should do.
you wouldn't be happy if it didn't.
Such a weird thing about phones is that you get fanboys who defend the company, despite the fact that what they are doing is indefensible. Media aren't being kind, Nokia aren't exactly amused, us early adopters who are supposed to sell the benefits to our friends and family aren't getting what you want but because we are being mean to Microsoft you all jump to their defence.

I want windows phone 8 to be awesome. The ui is gorgeous and so is some of the hardware. I want them to own apple. But they aren't. And you lot are all mad at me for expressing my frustration rather than forgiving everything like you guys. But if they sell 100 phones, and 70 of us sell up at the end and never come back where is the growth going to come from?
You apologists are part of the problem, you're letting them off the hook, allowing them to continue to be mediocre, and allowing the never ending circle of 'not enough users, not enough features, not enough apps' to continue

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This little battle between those that are disgruntled and those that are ok with the current state of affairs is rather assinine. I find the truth to lay somewhere in the middle. The reality is that even those that are ok with the (reasonably) sorry state of affairs are still in the same boat as the disgruntled customer. They are both hoping for most of the same fixes, same updates, same dreams, same success, same market share increase, same apps. Etc. I tend to side with the disgruntled customer as they have spent money and have every right to demand their money's worth. MS did not advertise their product to be exactly what we have today, did they? No! did they advertise lackluster support and features? MS's markets themselves as industry leader, but we all know that are actively trying to measure up. They nature of their software releases say this much. But at the same time, i think I try to take the patience of the WP hopeful conformist in that I am trying to reason that future updates will resolve most complaints and produce an OS and ecosystem that will attract market share. But at some point the reality is that it is extremely possible that MS can the way of RIM in the mobile department. Too little too late can be a bad thing. I dont see why people can argue against those who rant about missing features. My suggestion is to advise them to be patient as they have the same hopes you do.

I for one came over from a iPhone buying into the view that MS had. I think I was sold an idea, not an actual product. I think we are all in the same boat...waiting for the idea to be realized in a great product. The WP7 was a foot in the door. Windows8 and WP8 are paving the way...We all hope that 8.1 at least is another significant step forward. The industry really hopes so too. When WP8.1 is revealed in press release, they...the press...customers...OEMs...even competitors...will be expecting something game changing. IF it is a catch up to competitors...it will be bad for us.

you are so much more eloquent than i am. Well written

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say "I can't tell you right now", so please don't ask..... Schedule is for Nov 2013 release, supports full HD resolution & snapdragon (S4 400 & adreno 300+), better nfc support with android & ios devices and many other surprises. also u cannot say "file manager" but we are working on something similar :p

Ok, Nov... Means Verizon wont get it till Feb/March of 2014.... Got it.....

In case you dont know, google is your friend (or bing in this case) but, it means "Get the <Bad word starting with a F> out".

WP8addict

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes...thanks for that info if you can hear me above all the shouting! So is GDR3 stacking up to be a "major" update?

Yes, you can say that.....the plan is to resolve issues and bring some essential features with GDR3. Which later the Metro UI getting a little fresh look with the 8.1. MS is also focusing a lot on "Office Mobile" while we at Nokia are building some interesting apps (which wont be nokia exclusive bcoz MS is paying for it). And as far as issues are concerned, only major issue that bothering us which we are working very hard on "BATTERY DRAIN" & "CRASHING" sometimes (of course this is caused most of the time by "Background tasks"). And also are working on few more things like "Video & file transfer's".

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Again, you seem to be happy with an unfinished os with loads of flaws. How about i come to your car and remove the windscreen wipers? Not a huge thing. Your car could get by. You could still drive around. Find some sort of short term fix. Bit of rainex or something.

No, you expect your car manufacturer to hand you a car that does the minimum basic things a car should do.
you wouldn't be happy if it didn't.
Such a weird thing about phones is that you get fanboys who defend the company, despite the fact that what they are doing is indefensible. Media aren't being kind, Nokia aren't exactly amused, us early adopters who are supposed to sell the benefits to our friends and family aren't getting what you want but because we are being mean to Microsoft you all jump to their defence.

I want windows phone 8 to be awesome. The ui is gorgeous and so is some of the hardware. I want them to own apple. But they aren't. And you lot are all mad at me for expressing my frustration rather than forgiving everything like you guys. But if they sell 100 phones, and 70 of us sell up at the end and never come back where is the growth going to come from?
You apologists are part of the problem, you're letting them off the hook, allowing them to continue to be mediocre, and allowing the never ending circle of 'not enough users, not enough features, not enough apps' to continue

fanboys are the one that will jump the ship first when the OS is about to sink, ignore them and keep your head up with the OS. We want the best for our platform, so we raise our voice, nothing wrong with that!

WP8addict

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
lol s4 400 i hope you are false cuz that would be lame,we need 600 and 800 series this gpu adreno 225 will eat the 300
600 & 800 is still in testing and i guess you wont see them till the end of 1st quarter 2014. but 400 could be released this year in a flagship phone for of a major network provider :p

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Heres another little point for you, which may well pave way to cries of ****** but im not about to say this an excuse for MS. This is an affirmation of what you get when you jump on board with MS

In the history of MS not once have they ever released a product that was "finished" or "ready". They have always been a release now - fix later company. Why would any of you expect any different from their phone OS? I know I didn't. I knew well enough from WP6 through to 6.5 to 7 and 7.5 and now up to 8 and with all their other PC software and with the xbox and xbox 360 nothing they ever do is right or complete out of the gate - There are always fixes, always updates. People bemoan the time it takes them to push out updates for new features but you can guarantee they are working harder on "fixing" what they have already released.

I knew what I was getting into when I took on WP8 even before any reviews of the OS came out, I knew there would be stuff that they advertised that wouldn't be available, stuff that wouldn't work as it should. That's just the way MS have always been. Coming to WP8 and expecting it and MS to blow the competition out of the water or even be working fully "as it should" on day 1 or 261 is asking far too much for a company with MS track record.

But you know what - I accept that and im happy with it.

Now im off to buy and iphone and a GS4 and spam their forums with whinge threads because they don't have live tiles on their OS and all the icons are the same size and I always have to scroll left for more screens when all I want to do is scroll down and ive had to wait a year for an OS update. :eek:rly:

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Heres another little point for you, which may well pave way to cries of ****** but im not about to say this an excuse for MS. This is an affirmation of what you get when you jump on board with MS

In the history of MS not once have they ever released a product that was "finished" or "ready". They have always been a release now - fix later company. Why would any of you expect any different from their phone OS? I know I didn't. I knew well enough from WP6 through to 6.5 to 7 and 7.5 and now up to 8 and with all their other PC software and with the xbox and xbox 360 nothing they ever do is right or complete out of the gate - There are always fixes, always updates. People bemoan the time it takes them to push out updates for new features but you can guarantee they are working harder on "fixing" what they have already released.

I knew what I was getting into when I took on WP8 even before any reviews of the OS came out, I knew there would be stuff that they advertised that wouldn't be available, stuff that wouldn't work as it should. That's just the way MS have always been. Coming to WP8 and expecting it and MS to blow the competition out of the water or even be working fully "as it should" on day 1 or 261 is asking far too much for a company with MS track record.

But you know what - I accept that and im happy with it.

Now im off to buy and iphone and a GS4 and spam their forums with whinge threads because they don't have live tiles on their OS and all the icons are the same size and I always have to scroll left for more screens when all I want to do is scroll down and ive had to wait a year for an OS update. :eek:rly:

so that you can wait for them forever, we don't, we love the OS differently from you. And BTW, we pay the money to get the OS, I guess that we have own rights to criticize the platform, just only to make it better

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am a Windows Phone 8 user on my Nokia Lumia 920, great device?.it was. Lately, I?ve been concerned about this ecosystem, all the bad press and customer anger it?s getting and rightfully so. Let me just jump to the point here. I was skeptical when Nokia announced a strategic partnership with Microsoft; however I jumped from a Nokia N8 to Lumia 800. The change was fine, I knew that the Lumia 800 was a first generation product and I was convinced that things would only get better. It did get better with Lumia 920, a lot better. Better hardware, new OS, new apps and all other bells and whistles. Things have stagnated since then. Been almost a year and my Lumia 920 hasn?t added a single consumer usable feature since then, when there?s a lot of improvement that needs to happen. I hope you guys know how annoying it is to use a Windows Phone device laying down on your bed; in doing one task, let?s say installing an app, the phone display orientation switches about 3-4 times. I can?t scrub my song to a definitive location, I can do that with videos though. The capacitive buttons shine in my face while I am watching a video at night. I miss a notification, it?s gone. These are just the ones I can remember from the top of my head right now, believe me, there are more, much more nuances.
I don?t blame Nokia at all; they have done their part by providing superb hardware to accompany this promising OS. Microsoft however, continues to be a drag. Now I know it?s a giant mega corporation and it takes time to get things done but I am tired of ?it?ll be awesome after the next update? jargon while competitor OS?s are improving by the tick of the clock. Microsoft has been late to the party, and now they are being slow; that?s just asking for a death in tech industry. I understand Windows Phone Blue is allegedly being prepared to fix but do customers really deserve to wait for over a year for such mundane functions, no they don?t. Apps, I understand takes time to get developers on board but even there, Nokia, a corporation much smaller and less influential than yours is doing a better job at getting exclusive apps and getting developers on board. To be quite honest, I tried Windows Phone because Nokia went for it and there are many others like me, you guys should thank Nokia, not just by signing cheques every quarter but by helping them with development of the ecosystem. Mobile is the future and if Microsoft needs to be a player, you guys need to get your act together.

Very true. I some time think Windows Phone is owned by Nokia not MS

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
so that you can wait for them forever, we don't, we love the OS differently from you. And BTW, we pay the money to get the OS, I guess that we have own rights to criticize the platform, just only to make it better

That last paragraph was sarcasm - and if you didn't get that by the :eek:rly: at the end then im fighting a losing battle.

You are completely missing my point.

Im not saying don't criticize the platform
Im not saying don't criticize MS

What im trying to get at is you should already know what you are getting into before you buy something, complaining after the fact is pointless.

Taking your car analogy - its like looking at a car to buy - seeing one without wipers - then buying it anyway - then complaining when it rains and you cant see out of the window

MS, Apple, Google - none of them will ever give you exactly what you want there wont ever be a perfect device. My previous post just proved that with MS track record. I could go into how ive been stung by apple for some of the same reasons as MS but I don't want to confuse the matter.

Tiago Lopes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That last paragraph was sarcasm - and if you didn't get that by the :eek:rly: at the end then im fighting a losing battle.

What im trying to get at is you should already know what you are getting into before you buy something, complaining after the fact is pointless.

Taking your car analogy - its like looking at a car to buy - seeing one without wipers - then buying it anyway - then complaining when it rains and you cant see out of the window

MS, Apple, Google - none of them will ever give you exactly what you want there wont ever be a perfect device. My previous post just proved that with MS track record. I could go into how ive been stung by apple for some of the same reasons as MS but I don't want to confuse the matter.

I found that with apple their release schedule meant i had a great idea of when to expect something. And i even ended up with new stuff to test but that ultimately i could not find use for (airprint, looking at you here). With Microsoft, its always in some mythical update that always seems to be the one after the next one

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I found that with apple their release schedule meant i had a great idea of when to expect something. And i even ended up with new stuff to test but that ultimately i could not find use for (airprint, looking at you here). With Microsoft, its always in some mythical update that always seems to be the one after the next one

So you understand what I was getting at now?

The OP ruined his whole argument to MS with his first line

"I am a WP8 user with a Nokia Lumia 920, great device... it was"

Nothing changed since when the OP bought the phone to now - something cant be great to begin with and suddenly not be for no real reason other than things that he was expecting didn't materialise. That's not MS fault that's his.

If your going to complain go big, go bold, get a petition going and send that to MS saying were missing basic features. Writing a big wall of text to MS will just get you put straight in the ignore bin especially with a glaring contradiction on the first line.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Boy, i've been with this os from the very beginning of wp7 and through a lot of updates. If i know they now become evil like this i could have jump already. But i love this os, really, that's why i created a topic on uservoice to let them know that. If you don't know then you can head on We need Microsoft to listen to our ideas and DO something

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank-you for your insight, it's these type of nuggets we need from Microsoft, it's so important. I feel sorry for MS sometimes. They've been accused of over-promising and then under-delivering and now they've got this whole "shut-up-and-ship" mentality going on which has sent the communications backwards ten years. MS must appreciate that they're playing catch-up every day. They're not Apple who appear to get away with silence all the way until press conference day. The difference with Apple is that they *usually* deliver polished products (no matter what might be missing feature-wise), have release dates close to launch and prices at the ready and a marketing machine that works. I guess that's what you get when you own the whole experience (minus carriers).

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can say that.....the plan is to resolve issues and bring some essential features with GDR3. Which later the Metro UI getting a little fresh look with the 8.1. MS is also focusing a lot on "Office Mobile" while we at Nokia are building some interesting apps (which wont be nokia exclusive bcoz MS is paying for it). And as far as issues are concerned, only major issue that bothering us which we are working very hard on "BATTERY DRAIN" & "CRASHING" sometimes (of course this is caused most of the time by "Background tasks"). And also are working on few more things like "Video & file transfer's".

Wow, this is really interesting, Office Mobile does need a lot of improvement. One of the most embarassing missing pieces in Office Mobile 15 in WP8 is the ability to open password protected documents, something that my iOS / Android friends can do with ease. Also, when I open a spreadsheet which already has freeze panes from full Office 2010/13, they are lost on WP8 *despite* the fact that you can add freeze panes from within the mobile app - very frustrating. I could go on... I hope they're going to address this soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786