Gorilla glass got scratched.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
First time my L920 dropped, and it got scratched up. At least it didn't break I guess but those scratches annoy the **** out of me.. Scratch resistance my ***!

Last edited by a moderator:

robnewton

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gorilla glass my ***.

Scratch resistant, not scratch proof. You only need to see a gorilla glass screen next to a normal glass or plastic screen after a year of use to see how much better it is.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

It was likely the coating on top of gorilla glass that was scratched, not the actual glass.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

After dropping my brand new 920 and denting the corner, I realised how stupid it was not to put a case on.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

I've got the 8X and the Gorilla glass 2 is brilliant but that doesn't mean I don't have to take care. It's thin so that sheds weight but increases overall fragility somewhat. I've so far resisted the temptation to add a protector or a case not because I'm a daredevil but because I like and appreciate the shell design so much, I can't bear to cover it up in anything. However, in almost 8 months of usage, in and out of various pockets, alongside keys and coins, I've not picked up a single scratch or scuff that I can detect - that's what it does best. I still have to take care though, a drop from a reasonable height on anything other than pile carpet is likely to crack it.

MerlinJnr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

2 years of iPhone 4 no case-no marks. 2 weeks with L925, lots of hairline scratches up left side of screen. Its not great glass.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I will not buy a phone personally that I feel needs a case or other protection. Since november with my 920, no scratches or other damage. Ive managed to drop it 2-3 times. I dont keep anything else in the pocket the phone is in.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

Just be happy that we can replace the glass on the 920 with ease compared to an iDevice or Galaxy device. Too bad it's $80 for the digitizer compared to around $30 for the other guys.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I will not buy a phone personally that I feel needs a case or other protection. Since november with my 920, no scratches or other damage. Ive managed to drop it 2-3 times. I dont keep anything else in the pocket the phone is in.

and your phone's resale value will be **** when the time comes.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I had a 8X for 3 months and never even had a scrach on the screen... I am carefull but, I also have kids and always running around crazy, so crap happens. It was dropped a few times and put in a area where I thought a scrach would happen but, after 3 months, the phone still looked mint with no scraches or damage on the case....

Gorilla Glass is strong but, not perfect by any means. I have seen some devices really beat up....but, I have some others look flawless after 6-8 months. I guess it's all how you care for your device. If your prone to dropping your phone, then you should have a nice strong case. Personally me, I hate the look of cases on a sexy phone and I think it wrecks the look and the feel of the device.

I will never use a case on any of my phones, if I drop it and it breaks, I have to fix it myself or pay the $100 to get another one (insurance)...and that is the cost to go caseless but, I think it's worth it...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I don't typically sell my phones, I keep the previous one as a backup phone in case my main phone is temporarily unavailable for whatever reason. And when I have a new phone and my previous phone is the backup, the "2nd backup" is usually old enough already that it's not worth the effort to sell. That said, my N8 still has better camera than most sub-100€ digital cameras out there (except for optical zoom), so I wouldn't want to sell it anyways, as I have it around also for my fiancee to use if she wants to take good pics. Same will likely go for the 920 when the time comes to upgrade, I'll likely want to keep it around for it's camera.

Also, I can almost bet you that my previous phones that have never had protection are in better condition than most protected phones owned by this forums' users after the same amount of use :D My N8 after almost 2? of every day use is still pretty much pristine. At least nothing that an ugly, clumsy case would've protected.

I've yet to break a single phone in my life. Probably when the screen shatters when I drop my phone accidently I will probably have to re-evaluate my stance in all of this, but I doubt I'd even then go for a case.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass from my experience is more shatter proof than scratch resistant. My Lumia 920 (bought on launch day) has about 5 hairline scratches from just putting it in my pocket alone with no other items. One day I was walking while listening to music and my phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the screen. To my surprise, the screen did NOT shatter or crack but a period sized hole was left right above the back button. This proved to me that gorilla glass is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant. I want a tempered glass screen protector like Bodyguardz Pure, but they couldn't make it because of the curved glass of the 920 (I don't think they tried hard enough)

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

Gorilla Glass from my experience is more shatter proof than scratch resistant. My Lumia 920 (bought on launch day) has about 5 hairline scratches from just putting it in my pocket alone with no other items. One day I was walking while listening to music and my phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the screen. To my surprise, the screen did NOT shatter or crack but a period sized hole was left right above the back button. This proved to me that gorilla glass is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant. I want a tempered glass screen protector like Bodyguardz Pure, but they couldn't make it because of the curved glass of the 920 (I don't think they tried hard enough)
I've had simular issue's; i got 2 hairline scratches in the middle of the screen of just normal usage [like you said, just from putting it in your pocket]
To be honest i was kinda shocked that my ''lumia 920 tank'' already got scratches on it so i made an complaint to nokia.
Anyway some time later i dropped my phone from concrete stairs [like 3 floors down] and it bounces a couple of times and it had 0 scratches on the screen and only some light scratches on the back side...

So yeah, its more crack/shatter proof

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

Heh. Your arguement reminds me of going into someones home and seeing that nasty clear plastic covering all of the furniture. And carpeting. If you buy something and have to use such extreme measures to protect it then maybe you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.

I'm not one that tears my stuff up but I also don't go out of my way to ensure things stay pristine either.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

This is so true, is more shatter resistant than scratch resistant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs