Going to Japan in 24 hours-have an AT&T Nokia 920 ADVICE NEEDED!

Tara Simone

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
What's the best way for me to have call, data and messaging service in Japan? AT&T is now unsure this phone will work there on their international plan- they didn't tell me that when I bought it. I am okay with paying $100 for the AT&T international access if it work. I am on hold with the agent now. My friends are renting portable wi-fi units for $100 for a week for their iPhones, we were going to communicate in Japan by Skype. But I need to be able to call and/or text the states while I am in Japan.

Tips anyone? Thank you SO much for any and all quick responses.
And I am only tech savvy enough to post here - not tech savvy enough to understand different cellular networks and such. So just tell me what to do!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
re: Going to Japan in 24 hours-have an AT&T Nokia 920 ADVICE NEEDED!

I would unlock your phone, at&t will do it for free.

js8229

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I'd get a Japanese prepaid SIM card when you get there w/data plan and just pop it into your phone, removing the ATT SIM. It'll give you proper data and a JP phone number. When you get back, re-insert your ATT SIM and go back to your normal plan.

Anyone know why this wouldn't work on a L920?

countcount

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

The International plan with AT&T will work in Japan--I have used it. I think 100mb is $30. Calls are $2/min. Texts are $0.20 to receive, $0.50 to send.
Get the data package and make calls over Skype. It is much cheaper.

Note though that AT&T will charge you if your phone rings, even if you don't answer it. It is silly.

Your phone doesn't need to be unlocked.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

The international plan is very expensive.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

thejaredhuang

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

How long will you be there? If its more than 2 days it will be cheaper to buy a SIM in Japan and use it. AT&T and every other carrier's international plans are outrageously expensive.

ramuku

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Any update? I am going to Japan in a week with my Lumia 920 and would prefer to purchase SIM card with data plan there. I have the 'global' 920 unlocked but I know from experience that the bands have to be supported the carrier you want to use. Tx.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Any update? I am going to Japan in a week with my Lumia 920 and would prefer to purchase SIM card with data plan there. I have the 'global' 920 unlocked but I know from experience that the bands have to be supported the carrier you want to use. Tx.

global 920 should work fine in Japan, you can look at the bands for networks in Japan here, if they match the frequencies supported, you should be fine :)

List of mobile network operators of the Asia Pacific region - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What's the best way for me to have call, data and messaging service in Japan? AT&T is now unsure this phone will work there on their international plan- they didn't tell me that when I bought it. I am okay with paying $100 for the AT&T international access if it work. I am on hold with the agent now. My friends are renting portable wi-fi units for $100 for a week for their iPhones, we were going to communicate in Japan by Skype. But I need to be able to call and/or text the states while I am in Japan.

Tips anyone? Thank you SO much for any and all quick responses.
And I am only tech savvy enough to post here - not tech savvy enough to understand different cellular networks and such. So just tell me what to do!

I used my ATT Limia in Belize with an international plan. No problem at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro