How hot does your Lumia 920 get?

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

After reading Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions I was wondering how many of you have issues with the phone overheating, especially in the upper part of the phone. I consider myself a moderate user, but find my phone unusable at most of the times due to the heat and battery life being extremely poor.

Now, it hasn't been like this from the beginning. I got my phone back in November and till recently was a very happy Nokia user indeed. From around May time I have been experiencing some serious issues with the phone - to start off the apps updates stopped coming through and I performed all the actions recommended by other users on this forum and the Nokia Community forums - unpin the store tile, clear Internet Explorer history/cache, soft reset, uninstall Skype, hard reset - you get the image - I was determined to fix it before sending the phone to the boys at Nokia. But no matter what I did there was no progress and I finally ran out of patience in July. I sent my phone away to Nokia, got it fixed (or so I thought) - the updates finally started appearing again.

From then on I started experiencing SERIOUS issues with the battery draining and overheating. Once again, I am way beyond the switch the Bluetooth, NFC, background apps off... Put it this way, I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. The battery goes down by 20-30% overnight when the phone does absolutely nothing. That happens on both - the wi-fi and network data connection. No matter what the settings are and what I do (or don't do) with the phone it keeps discharging by around 7%/h on average. Oh, the apps updates stopped coming through once again.

Recently I sent my phone to Nokia again and asked for a replacement, apparently I got it (despite the body of the phone and the cosmetics remain the same). The IMEI has changed indeed, but the first things I noticed after switching the phone on is THE HEAT. It almost burns your hand while restoring the backup and installing the apps on my home wifi. Now I realise that restoring a back-up may be an intense task for the CPU to deal with, but come on, losing 10% of battery in 10 minutes and literally burning my hand?

Did Nokia play a joke on me? Is it possible to change IMEI in the phone without replacing it? I am slightly suspicious as the cosmetics of the phone are definitely the same as before, this has been confirmed by them today. I get all kind of thoughts now as my patience, like my battery, has been drained.

Opinions and experiences welcome!

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I just checked, my battery status drops 20% (from full charged to 80%) in 21 Hours, while its using Wifi and Location with few background services, 3 4 quick phone calls.

The heat is present when heavily used, but not that much that you cant tap the screen at right corner.

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
My 620 gets pretty hot around the camera lens with moderate gaming. I hope this doesnt cause any permanent damage to the phone.

Oterow

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Lets just say that it would make the sun jealous :smile:
No performance issues though just a drain on the battery.

wheresmybeaver

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My 920 gets pretty hot when using Navigon satnav and running the gba emulator VBA8. No surprise really! Mostly heats up at the top of the phone round the back, above the camera.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

SahilShah

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It depends on tasks, but usually it is no warmer than room temperature. Maybe something is wrong with your heatsink on the back of the phone if it gets hot above the camera lens.

homieson89

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets real hot when using the Mytube app. Around the Camera part of the phone. Guess this is considered normal and acceptable by Nokia. or could be the apps themselves that are not optimized well.

gizzzmo

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe something is wrong with your heatsink on the back of the phone if it gets hot above the camera lens.

Well, Nokia had the phone for a repair and apparently they replaced the insides of it, so you would think that would fix it.

Just to name afew examples - having WhatsApp switched on for 3 minutes makes the top right of the phone warm; having Oggl or OneShot on for the sames amount of time makes the top right hot. The battery will go down by around 3% in 3 minutes as I use these apps.

Do you think this could be software related?

Lumia920amber

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I?ve heard that there is a overheating issue with some of the nokia lumia?s. I had it on my nokia lumia 920, but i send it to nokia care and they fixed the issue and everything works fine now. I really recommend to send your phone to nokia care, they will fix it there. : )

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Whats app running in the background drains battery like hell.... Also the phone got heated again on Edge network.. switched off the phone in airplane mode did soft reset and now seems to be settling down... can someone explain such random issues...

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Phone only recently started getting hot after 10 months of usage. The culprit is the new Uno game I downloaded. Its such an addicting game that the intense heat and massive battery drain doesn't bother me. :)

ryansstuff

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Well playing Halo: Spartan assault, one maybe two missons and I have to put it down before it burns me. everyone has commented on it. Starting to think the phone maybe faulty. Might give nokia a call about it. What do you all think?

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
all jokes aside... on a serious note.. i just bought an unlock 920 and really.. REALLY hoping that i don't run into this issue... :crossing fingers:

pkvillager

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It gets the hottest when I used to play texas holdem... I mean ridiculous and I measured it with my IR thermometer but dont remember the highest temp so I wont exaggerate here. Easily over 150 degrees though. I dont really play anything anymore but I have been messing around with Order & Chaos for 5-10 minutes here and there and it gets warm but no where near as hot as with the poker game.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Game I think that I play right now that probably is the most CPU intensive is Royal Revolt. It gets warm, sometimes "hot" but not to the point of burning. I've played it like in spurts to marathons of an hour+. I did notice it being warmer than when I play Royal Revolt when I was restoring my phone (just preemptively did this as it was suggested before to avoid battery troubles), but right now it just gets warm doing moderate web surfing and news checking (NextGen and WPCentral).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i find my 920 only gets hot if i play an intensive processing game, which is rare. Otherwise it never gets warm/hot.

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
9x platform seems to have this problem. Some reasons: poorly written app and/or location services. Poor LTE signal.

Please try turning off location services!

Many apps make phone hot. Proshot, FB, Skype, whatsapp, kik messenger. All popular apps' extended use makes phone hot!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo