Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to flash ATT Lumia 920 with amber

Well, Datasense is something ATT will never give you, so there's that.
You let the Amber update now instead of months later, with God knows what things ripped out.
You get a phone without ATT trash apps installed.
No ATT branding.

In all, I'd say it's a cleaner and probably better experience.

Edit: For me it's a no-brainer, ATT replaced my 920 this week so there's nothing on it anyway.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

You let the Amber update now instead of months later, with God knows what things ripped out.
No ATT branding.

Edit: For me it's a no-brainer, ATT replaced my 920 this week so there's nothing on it anyway.

So when we ATT users get GDR2 eventually, we wont get data sense? Thats bs. What the hell is their reasoning?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

No ATT branding.

Did the link work? How is the process going for you?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

So when we ATT users get GDR2 eventually, we wont get data sense? Thats bs. What the hell is their reasoning?

might be tied to Verizon exclusivity, might be tied to data-compressing features in it that need carrier back-end support, might be lazyness on At&t's part, might be coming down the line on an update. If you don't wanna wait, just flash.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

might be tied to Verizon exclusivity, might be tied to data-compressing features in it that need carrier back-end support, might be lazyness on At&t's part, might be coming down the line on an update. If you don't wanna wait, just flash.
It is no good for AT&T business , they don't want you to know how much data you use and how to control it. T mobile's 925 comes with it. AT&T is very greedy.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Im probably going to tomorrow. Id still like to know more about ATT and data sense. There's no reasonable explanation they could give to rationalize keeping it off our devices.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

It is no good for AT&T business , they don't want you to know how much data you use and how to control it. T mobile's 925 comes with it. AT&T is very greedy.

If that's true then this will be my last ATT device. I am going to let them have it on their forums and twitter.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Im probably going to tomorrow. Id still like to know more about ATT and data sense. There's no reasonable explanation they could give to rationalize keeping it off our devices.
the same thing when you buy a phone from them and you want to unlock it but they won't. They don't unlock it cause they know the moment they do it , they loose you as a customer cause you are going running and change to Tmobile service which is cheaper

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Flashing now.

Quick correction: You'll need to rename the "rm 820 rogers" folder in the zip file to "rm-820" to get the nokia app to "see it" as an available rom to flash.

Also, on Step 4: "When it tells you to retry b/c of lost connection, Turn off your phone, Plug it in, and hold down volume down key. Press retry."

It's easier this way:

Step 4: "Unplug the phone and select "Start". The recovery screen will pop up with instructions on how to soft-reset your phone. Plug the phone back in, hold the volume-down (Decrease volume button) and power key down simultaneously. When the screen goes dark and phone vibrates, then select the "Retry" button on the recovery screen. The phone will begin the flash process.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Flashing now.

Quick correction: You'll need to rename the "rm 820 rogers" folder in the zip file to "rm-820" to get the nokia app to "see it" as an available rom to flash.

Also, on Step 4: "When it tells you to retry b/c of lost connection, Turn off your phone, Plug it in, and hold down volume down key. Press retry."

It's easier this way:

Step 4: "Unplug the phone and select "Start". The recovery screen will pop up with instructions on how to soft-reset your phone. Plug the phone back in, hold the volume-down (Decrease volume button) and power key down simultaneously. When the screen goes dark and phone vibrates, then select the "Retry" button on the recovery screen. The phone will begin the flash process.

okay, let me know how it goes!

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Rogers flash and updated completed. It took for freaking ever. I'm flashing the Amber update now. So far, so good. I'll update when it's completes.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Success. Flashed to the final ubranded EU version. Just selected "English United States" as my language and that was it. One thing you should remember to do however:

Settings>Access Points.

Select AT&T LTE 1 or AT&T LTE 2. Otherwise it appears to default to 3g.

The new color profiles and Glance modes are activated at Settings>Display&Touch

The AT&T splash screen is gone.

The AT&T junk apps are gone, but, there are 2-3 new junk apps installed now. Easy to remove, they are 20 Minutes, Some french app and a Daily Motion App.

Data sense is indeed very cool. It's easy to see why the ****-heels at AT&T won't allow it, they'll lose money from people managing their data usage with it.

Sadly, tethering still does check with AT&T to see if your purchased it. Apparently all ROMS support this but AT&T is the only one cheap enough to gouge their customers by turning on this functionality when the OS detects a AT&T sim card.

The Amber update lets your block calls and text messages as well. Nice.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

I have a question, my L920 is RM-820, but with product code 059S0R6... can I install any RM-820 rom? my country is Mexico.

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure. I know when I did this entire process it did say "The update is for a different product code,bla bla. Do you want to continue?" I said yes, obviously. I'm pretty sure it works on any Lumia 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)