Alternate Routes in Nokia Drive?

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Making an 1100 mile trip in a couple days and want to be able to use my 920 for turn-by-turn. Only problem is that I can't choose an alternate route other than the 1 route it decides for me (which is not what I want). I'm used to Google Maps letting you choose which route to take. Am I missing a setting somewhere or what? I know that the desktop version of Nokia Maps will let you choose, but can't find an option on the mobile version.

If not, are there any alternatives? I thought I downloaded Google Maps on my phone, but it still uses the Nokia maps.

Thanks for any help; it's been kind of frustrating because I really like Nokia Drive, but it may turn out to be useless for me during this trip (although I hope not).

mihnat

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I think HERE drive is the only one with downloadable maps, should you not have a data connection on your route. You could try Scout (old Tom Tom I think) and it allows alternate routes and stopoffs but it does use data. You can get it 30 day free trial that will get you through your trip and it seems to work well in the SW, Midwest and eastern US.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Making an 1100 mile trip in a couple days and want to be able to use my 920 for turn-by-turn. Only problem is that I can't choose an alternate route other than the 1 route it decides for me (which is not what I want). I'm used to Google Maps letting you choose which route to take. Am I missing a setting somewhere or what? I know that the desktop version of Nokia Maps will let you choose, but can't find an option on the mobile version.

If not, are there any alternatives? I thought I downloaded Google Maps on my phone, but it still uses the Nokia maps.

Thanks for any help; it's been kind of frustrating because I really like Nokia Drive, but it may turn out to be useless for me during this trip (although I hope not).
Nokia's mapping apps for Symbian let you do this.

Sorry, but you wouldn't see this in the Here suite right now.

There's a workaround, though. Insist on taking the route you want to take.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Nokia Maps isn't a navigation app. It is just basic maps and routing. Nokia HERE Drive Plus is the basic and good casual navigation app.
If you are serious about your trip, buy Navigon. It is the premier navigation app. It is full featured including downloadable maps, multiple routes, lane guidance, traffic rerouting, visual and full voice direction guidance, and much more. It is priced at $50 and is worth much more. Sometimes it goes on sale for less. It really is the best and I've tried many. I use Nokia HERE Drive Plus sometimes when the trip isn't important, since I have it and it's free.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The only thing close to it in Nokia Drive is changing the type of route you want to take, shortest vs balanced vs fastest. You can also set options as well before routing. Tap options (that white bar with icons that are grayed out and what not) and you should be able to find all these other options. It baffles me still that there is no turn list in Nokia Drive. It helps if my passenger can bring up the list and tell me ahead what to look for instead of solely trusting the app. That said, I gave it a try multiple times of just trusting it and it got me to where I needed to get 100% of the time.

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, guys. I don't really wanna pay for anything to download since we can just use my wife's iphone and google maps. Too bad, since (other than not being able to select different routes) Nokia Drive is a really nice app.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking for this feature as well. Keeps wanting me to drive through Canada on the way from Michigan to NY. It's very annoying since I want to go around.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The only thing close to it in Nokia Drive is changing the type of route you want to take, shortest vs balanced vs fastest. You can also set options as well before routing. Tap options (that white bar with icons that are grayed out and what not) and you should be able to find all these other options. It baffles me still that there is no turn list in Nokia Drive. It helps if my passenger can bring up the list and tell me ahead what to look for instead of solely trusting the app. That said, I gave it a try multiple times of just trusting it and it got me to where I needed to get 100% of the time.
I am nto sure what version are you using. Out here in India, I have tried old nokia drive, here drive and now here drive+. All give proper turn turn by instrucitons, both on-screen and voice enabled. In fact it is much better than a co-passenger as it gives you instructions well in advance. So in my case if I am driving fast it would even tell me a kilometer or two in advance to keep to right/left. When I am about to approach, it again asks me to keep to left/right. finally, at that very point it asks me to take the exit etc.
However, I do feel frustrated at the fact that I am stuck with just one route, which is often not the best. What's worse is that even if I take another route it will try its best to take me back to the route it suggests. I have tried all three types (fastest, most economical and balanced) but no luck :(

80sGuy

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
It sure sucks when you can't choose routes. Useless maps on my Lumia 640, and it sucks even more when you can't download Google maps.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It sure sucks when you can't choose routes. Useless maps on my Lumia 640, and it sucks even more when you can't download Google maps.

There's no shortage of gps navigation apps in the app store. Maybe you could check if some others offer alternate routes. If you only want google maps then you're asking at the wrong place.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Fyi... The new maps app in Windows 10 mobile has the alternate route feature. I already used it a couple times, works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise