AT&T Lumia 920 Amber Update via Rogers Dev ROM

venu238

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Check this out! xda recognized developer "Snickler" found a way to update AT&T Lumia 920..
Below is the tutorial and for help visit his thread here(xda)
snickler said:
EDIT:

I've found a way to get Internet Sharing working for AT&T Customers.

* Install the Spanish keyboard via Settings -> Keyboard -> add keyboards-> Spanish (Spain). It should be showing a Preparing Download status.
* A menu should a pear that says that the update is ready to be installed. At this point, postpone it.
* You should see internet sharing underneath Settings. Click on it and attempt to turn it on. You should see the error to call 611.
* Go back to Settings -> language+region and set the Country/Region to United States. Let it reboot.
* After reboot, Go into Settings -> phone update and install the update and let it reboot.
* After this reboot, play around with the phone for 5 or 10 minutes. Let it get used to the change in region then go to Settings -> internet sharing and attempt to turn it on.
* At this point, you shouldn't see any errors and you should be able to share your connection.

Try this out and see if it works.

Hi All,

I've spent the past 4 days looking for a solution to get the Amber Update on my AT&T Branded Lumia 920 without installing a European ROM and changing to RM-821. After searching endlessly, I've found my solution that works!

Prerequisites

* Nokia Care Suite 2013.13.4.4
* WperHelper v1.2 Note: This is in Chinese. I don't know Chinese AT ALL, but I've been able to figure my way around the app
* Rogers Pre-Poritco ROM. Download the last group of files for Roger, not the AT&T ones.

Steps:
* DONT PLUG IN YOUR PHONE YET TO THE COMPUTER.
* Extract/Install Nokia Care Suite. Open Care Suite when it's done installing and just put it to the side
* Install WperHelper. It's all in chinese, but the buttons should be easy to navigate through
* Download the last group of files for the pre-portico ROM if you haven't done so already.
* Go to the Run menu on your system and go to "C:\programdata\nokia\Packages\Products". Create a new folder named "RM-820". If you already have files in here from a previous ROM installation, move them somewhere else. The group of files you downloaded for the Pre-Portico ROM will need to be moved inside of this folder.
* Go back to NCS and double click on the Product Support Tool. If you don't see the little menu with the choices of apps to install, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" and click on ProductSupportToolForStore.exe (Make sure the icon is an arrow. We don't need to open the .MANIFEST file).
* When the Sign in popup comes on the screen. click Work offline.
Click File -> Open Product and type in RM-820 in the filter then press Open
* At the bottom left panel, click on Programming -> Recovery.
* In the Properties listing, you should see 059R2L8 RM-820_Rogers_Canada_VAR240202_V2_Yellow 1232.2109.1242.1002
* Click on that line that shows the data that I listed above then click the Start button.
* Plug in your phone to the USB now, hold the Vol-Down + Power buttons until the phone restarts and you hear a vibration.
* When you hear the vibration, press Retry.
* You should see a little menu saying that the Product Code doesn't match, press Okay to continue.
* Let it flash.
* After the phone has flashed, set it up, but don't login to your Microsoft account yet (It's pointless at this point). Configure Wi-Fi though.
* Go to Settings -> Phone update and check for updates. The first round of updates will put you on to Portico.
* After these updates go through (It will take forever for it to finish Preparing to Install), you'll have to check for updates two more times in order to install Nokia Updates.
* After these two extra updates, your phone will be up to date.
* Now comes the fun part. Open up the WperHelper that you installed earlier.
* On the Top group of text links(The bigger text), chose the second one from the left. It should bring up a screen with 4 drop downs.
* From left to right, choose the following as values: Nokia, Lumia 920, RM-820, 3047.0000.1326.2001.
* Click on the 059R2L5 button that is located under the first dropdown. At the bottom right part of the screen, you'll see a download icon (downward facing arrow with a line underneath of it). Click it.
* This will start to download the ROM. When complete, Click on the Top group of text links, click on the third one then click on the second smaller text link underneath of it.
* You should see bbs.wper.com_059R2L5.7z. Click on it then click the lightning bolt on the bottom left corner. This will extract the FFU package.
* After it's complete, you'll see a new screen with a picture of a Windows phone and a bunch of Chinese text (I wish I had a translation). At this point you'll want to click the button that is listed directly under ( Step ).
* This will automatically begin the ROM updating process. You'll be able to see a little log running at the bottom of the screen on whether the Flashing is working or not.
* The place where the Windows Phone is showing will display the actual progress of flashing as it appears on your phone. You should be seeing the red screen with the progress bar on your windows phone by now. If this happens for you, then you're on your way to having the Amber Update.

A few things to note

After fully flashed, it'll bring you back to the typical phone set up screen. After you get to the main homescreen, wait a minute or so because it will require a reboot. After you bring the phone back up, go to Settings -> Access Point and choose AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia. This will set up the MMS and Data settings correctly.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It is without installing a European ROM and installs AT&T developer ROM. And you can get back to Stock ROM If you want 
Once you go and flash other ROM that is not an AT&T ROM in to your AT&T Lumia there is no way of going back to an AT&T Rom in your phone. This means that if you install a Rogers ROM in to your AT&T Lumia no matter if the Rogers ROM is rm-820 like your AT&T original ROM you can't go back to AT&T ROM There is a thread about this on XDA. You can go Rogers to rm-821 and viceversa. But not Rogers to AT&T or RM-821 to AT&T. Once you go away of your AT&T ROM there is no way back.

[FLASH] How to use NCS to change from RM-820 to RM-821 and vice versa - xda-developers

If you know how to go back either from Rogers ROM or from any rm-821 back to AT&T post a link where you get it from cause me and i'm sure others want to know just in case is needed in the future.

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Once you go and flash other ROM that is not an AT&T ROM in to your AT&T Lumia there is no way of going back to an AT&T Rom in your phone. This means that if you install a Rogers ROM in to your AT&T Lumia no matter if the Rogers ROM is rm-820 like your AT&T original ROM you can't go back to AT&T ROM There is a thread about this on XDA. You can go Rogers to rm-821 and viceversa. But not Rogers to AT&T or RM-821 to AT&T. Once you go away of your AT&T ROM there is no way back.

[FLASH] How to use NCS to change from RM-820 to RM-821 and vice versa - xda-developers

If you know how to go back either from Rogers ROM or from any rm-821 back to AT&T post a link where you get it from cause me and i'm sure others want to know just in case is needed in the future.

This is so correct.

The Rogers 920 is for all intents and purposes the pentaband, truly global 920. It can accept Euro Dev roms because those keep all LTE and 3G bands for global use and it can pretty much go back and forth to whatever firmware you damn well please.

ATT, as always, did something even worse.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It is without installing a European ROM and installs AT&T developer ROM. And you can get back to Stock ROM If you want 

I read the original tutorial on XDA and no one on that thread have said that once flashed can go back to their original ROM, even if you are using the AT&T Dev Rom no one have said that was able to return the phone to original AT&T Rom. Update your original post until someone does it. The XDA guy snickler that wrote the tutorial was speculating because the ROM still an AT&T Rom.

Someone ask him and he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblaze
is this unbranded after final install and can it be rolled back to an ATT branded rom successfully?

snickler
"its actually using an AT&T developer ROM. You should be able to go back to a stock AT&T ROM"

He never said it is possible.

venu238

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I read the original tutorial on XDA and no one on that thread have said that once flashed can go back to their original ROM, even if you are using the AT&T Dev Rom no one have said that was able to return the phone to original AT&T Rom. Update your original post until someone does it. The XDA guy snickler that wrote the tutorial was speculating because the ROM still an AT&T Rom.

Someone ask him and he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblaze [url]http://buttons.media.xda-developers.com/images/XDA2012/buttons/viewpost.png[/URL]
is this unbranded after final install and can it be rolled back to an ATT branded rom successfully?

snickler
"its actually using an AT&T developer ROM. You should be able to go back to a stock AT&T ROM"

He never said it is possible.
Thanks for spotting my mistake, sorry!

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Flashing to this rom would cause your RM-820 to be permanently changed to RM-821, from what I've read there is no reverting. What does this mean as a Rogers customer? Will I still be receiving the roger's firmware after it is released? Pro and cons?

twodice1

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You have instructions to flash with AT&T dev rom?

I keep getting this error with the ATT dev rom when trying to flash:
0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Guys! It is a RM-820 ROM !!! It's the AT&T DEV ROM !!!!

Read post #5 or just do your own research....

Last edited:

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
If I flash this rom on my Rogers 920, I shouldn't have to do the first steps, just download, and flash, correct? However what would be the disadvantage of flashing for a Rogers customer?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05