10-15-2013 11:05 AM
487 1234 ...
tools
    Got a reply on FB;

"Hi Tom, we do not currently have any updates on if or when the update for the Nokia Lumia 920 devices will be released for branded EE phones. We will keep you posted with any updates as soon as we have them."
    08-17-2013 05:51 PM
    Also 2 replies on twitter.

T-MOBILE UK ‏@TMobileUK 10h
    @CrookyLeeds We'll tweet when we have news :)

Expand

T-MOBILE UK ‏@TMobileUK 10h
    @CrookyLeeds Hi, unfortunately we're not advised if/when to expect updates so unfortunately have no news at this time.

Expand
    08-17-2013 05:54 PM
    Sorry for the poor formatting, im on my phone.

At least they're communicating now. I think theyre holding back on giving definite answers just incase anything changes
    08-17-2013 05:56 PM
    if i flash with uk vodafone phone will be ok?
    08-17-2013 06:13 PM
    I flashed my EE 920 to the French ROM the other week and all is fine.

Couldn't be arsed waiting for EE. Still waiting for a decent MyEE app and EEWifi app.

Good network but I'm not holding my breath.
    08-17-2013 08:36 PM
    Any more news?
    Sitting here patiently awaiting my unbranded Lumia 920 to get the update.....
    08-19-2013 05:53 AM
    Does 02 even know about it?
    08-19-2013 05:54 AM
    Unbranded and O2 (both UK) changed to Coming Soon today, which by the sounds of it means it's closer than Waiting for Approval....so hopefully soon...

I wonder if O2, Vodafone and Unbranded have been pulled forward because of the impending 4G launches? Here's hoping in my case.... I'm now on a 4G tariff with my unbranded L920 and still the 4G option hasn't magically appeared in Highest Network Speed :/
    08-19-2013 12:45 PM
    Unbranded and O2 (both UK) changed to Coming Soon today, which by the sounds of it means it's closer than Waiting for Approval....so hopefully soon...

I wonder if O2, Vodafone and Unbranded have been pulled forward because of the impending 4G launches? Here's hoping in my case.... I'm now on a 4G tariff with my unbranded L920 and still the 4G option hasn't magically appeared in Highest Network Speed :/
    Yeah saw just now that the page has been updated (yay...!). Here's hoping that the country variant (unlocked-unbranded) isn't the last to receive the update again.

Also hoping the 4G selection is finally unlocked, If it's not I'm going to be sad. And angry...
    08-19-2013 03:47 PM
    Yeah saw just now that the page has been updated (yay...!). Here's hoping that the country variant (unlocked-unbranded) isn't the last to receive the update again.

Also hoping the 4G selection is finally unlocked, If it's not I'm going to be sad. And angry...
    I'm hoping for exactly the same things as you, I signed up to a 4G tariff at the weekend so if they don't activate it this time I'm just going to put the Vodafone software on...

...I'm still hopeful though considering the way they seem to be prioritising the 2 networks who are about to launch 4G on Friday... I would think as the Unlocked version also seems to be in the final stage that it would be out pretty soon too (hopefully days rather than weeks)
    08-19-2013 04:09 PM
    I'm hoping for exactly the same things as you, I signed up to a 4G tariff at the weekend so if they don't activate it this time I'm just going to put the Vodafone software on...

...I'm still hopeful though considering the way they seem to be prioritising the 2 networks who are about to launch 4G on Friday... I would think as the Unlocked version also seems to be in the final stage that it would be out pretty soon too (hopefully days rather than weeks)
    1. How did you sign up? online or over the phone with O2 or Vodaphone?
    2. Did you get a new sim?

I spoke to O2 and they were adamant they could not discuss anything 4g until official launch which I believe is the 29th of August as I could not upgrade my tariff online... So my hunch is it will appear when launched. I'm going to see if I can wrangle a deal out of them lol.
    08-19-2013 05:44 PM
    1. How did you sign up? online or over the phone with O2 or Vodaphone?
    2. Did you get a new sim?

I spoke to O2 and they were adamant they could not discuss anything 4g until official launch which I believe is the 29th of August as I could not upgrade my tariff online... So my hunch is it will appear when launched. I'm going to see if I can wrangle a deal out of them lol.
    In my experience the people on the phone are absolutely useless at mobile providers.

I'm with Vodafone and after refusing to pay more than the tariff costs 3 times on the phone, I went into their store in Victoria Station where they were not only really nice but quite happily switched me to a 4G-ready plan in 5 minutes.

No new SIM needed and Ive had the confirmation texts and my account online has updated. Similarly no extension to my contract, its just a tariff upgrade for the remaining term (I've moved up tariffs before and stores have always been more helpful!)

Normally I'd always rrecommend going into a store, on the phone they just assume you want a standard upgrade whereas all that's necessary is a tariff change, in store they tend to have a better understanding of how the world works... And they cant try and overcharge you because the literature is right there...
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    08-19-2013 06:35 PM
    UK providers really do suck at this. Well done to Vodafone for being well ahead of the curve but I've got a feeling many of us will be waiting weeks, maybe a month or so for the update.

Surely they must know when they're planning to roll it out?
    08-19-2013 06:54 PM
    UK providers really do suck at this. Well done to Vodafone for being well ahead of the curve but I've got a feeling many of us will be waiting weeks, maybe a month or so for the update.

Surely they must know when they're planning to roll it out?
    Any update is always like this (except with iOS, but then they get their fair share of problems). It's always staggered over a couple of months, and I think just about every mobile provider in the world are just as bad as each other!

I'm sure Nokia have their own internal schedule, but that relies on all the networks giving their approval on time - most are notoriously variable and so realistically it wouldn't be sensible for Nokia to publish the timelines because they would look like idiots when the networks (inevitably) can't be bothered to do their job.

The advantage of Windows Phone/Nokia is that they actually produce websites like these which compare the different variants against each other, and are honest about which phones get what updates, which runs contrary to the absolute minefield that Android is. With Windows Phone, you can be fairly sure when you buy that you'll get at least one major upgrade in the lifetime of the phone, probably a few minor ones too, regardless of device. With Android, it's total and absolute pot luck as to whatever the manufacturer can be bothered to implement, then even more luck if your carrier can be bothered to do their bit too - which is exactly the problem Android now has, it has become so unbelievably fragmented that nobody can really support it properly anymore.
    08-19-2013 07:06 PM
    status for o2 and cv changed to "coming soon"
    Well, congratulations on reading the thread before posting...
    08-20-2013 02:01 AM
    Just updated my mate's 820 for him (Vodafone). He's only had the phone a week!!! I'm "patiently" awaiting my non-branded UK update.....bu66er!!!
    08-20-2013 04:35 AM
    Got a reply on FB;

"Hi Tom, we do not currently have any updates on if or when the update for the Nokia Lumia 920 devices will be released for branded EE phones. We will keep you posted with any updates as soon as we have them."
    The If concerns me there!
    08-20-2013 10:19 AM
    The If concerns me there!
    I don't think it's worth worrying about... Generally the frontline customer services staff at mobile networks either don't know what they're talking about through ignorance or just having not been told!

The likelihood is that they get so many such requests they just copy and paste out the same response even if they know something is happening, unless of course they're a particularly good advisor.
    08-20-2013 10:37 AM
    I don't think it's worth worrying about... Generally the frontline customer services staff at mobile networks either don't know what they're talking about through ignorance or just having not been told!

The likelihood is that they get so many such requests they just copy and paste out the same response even if they know something is happening, unless of course they're a particularly good advisor.
    This. Given the number of responses i have seen on here, Facebook, twitter etc from uk mobile networks the same line more or less is repeated. I'm willing to bet specifics, if they are even known, would not be dished out to customers to avoid continual false hope arguments and the potential PR backlash. Look at MS themselves and their shut up and ship model. That's working well.. smh.
    08-20-2013 01:04 PM
    Come on 3...pull your finger out ffs.
    08-20-2013 06:19 PM
    Anyone remember how EE did with Protico/GDR1, didn't think they we're that slow.

That said I'm now on GiffGaff and would rather be on the country variant firmware.
    08-20-2013 06:29 PM
    Anyone remember how EE did with Protico/GDR1, didn't think they we're that slow.

That said I'm now on GiffGaff and would rather be on the country variant firmware.
    There could be any number of reasons for the order in which Nokia have chosen to release the updates...

I would suggest that either:
    - Vodafone, O2 and Unbranded have been prioritised because of the need to update something before the 29th April 4G launch. Or
    - Nokia are just being fair, considering how much in advance EE received the update last time around. Or
    - Given the number of devices of each variant of phone in each country, this was the best way of spreading the demand on their server time.

In any case, the promise date is the end of September, and to me 6 weeks sounds fairly reasonable given the number of devices and stakeholders, the differences involved and the need to keep some resource spare to deal with potential issues without delaying later releases too far.

That said, it hasn't stopped me checking for my "coming soon" update way too regularly...
    08-20-2013 07:15 PM
    I got my unlocked, unbranded 920 in Singapore, but use it on 3 in the uk. Anyone know if I'll get the upgrade at the same time as the uk 'country variant ', or the Singaporean one?
    08-20-2013 07:23 PM
    Singaporean one of course.
    08-20-2013 10:09 PM
    I got my unlocked, unbranded 920 in Singapore, but use it on 3 in the uk. Anyone know if I'll get the upgrade at the same time as the uk 'country variant ', or the Singaporean one?
    The ssoftware on your phone is dependent entirely on where Nokia intended it to be used, and is totally irrelevant of where you choose to use it or on what network.

Hence, you'll never receive an update with the 3UK or UK Unlocked firmware as your phone and its software weren't designed for use here. You'll get the Singaporean upgrade because that's where Nokia intended for the phone to be used.
    08-21-2013 02:02 AM
487 1234 ...