10-15-2013 11:05 AM
487 12345 ...
tools
    For those who have GDR2 installed, is there now a podcast store for UK in the store?
    Last edited by Cubeddd; 08-21-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    08-21-2013 05:41 AM
    I've just had a thought. The GDR 2 and Amber update has come pre-loaded on Nokia phones for some time now, so why the hell do the operators have to approve the update (again) when it is already available?
    08-21-2013 07:29 AM
    Hurry up EE!!
    08-21-2013 07:31 AM
    It's positively glacial! I already have the French cv update, but would like the UK version.
    08-21-2013 08:14 AM
    So much for EE and their super speed. :/
    08-21-2013 08:22 AM
    So much for EE and their super speed. :/
    I'm stunned that EE sold the phone first but seem to be getting the update last.
    KKRLessey likes this.
    08-21-2013 09:00 AM
    I'm stunned that EE sold the phone first but seem to be getting the update last.
    They don't have the update last. They got the update with everyone else but are taking their sweet arse time to release it.
    KKRLessey likes this.
    08-21-2013 09:02 AM
    They don't have the update last. They got the update with everyone else but are taking their sweet arse time to release it.
    I would like to believe that they've sold more windows phones in the past year than any other operator or country variant in UK, hence would require extensive testing as little bugs and incompatibilities would cost them a lot if they make it to the final release. Also, they probably have a larger database of windows phone IMEI's to compile. This is the mindset that keeps me patient and deters me from burning up one of their Birmingham stores.
    08-21-2013 09:24 AM
    I've just had a thought. The GDR 2 and Amber update has come pre-loaded on Nokia phones for some time now, so why the hell do the operators have to approve the update (again) when it is already available?
    Because an update is very different to a first install. With a first install, you just have to make sure it works properly. With an update, you have to check all of that again, as well as making sure that all the new stuff works, and that the process of updating hasn't broken anything, etc, and that takes a lot longer.
    08-21-2013 09:56 AM
    Why? They only sold it fiirst because they bought the right for a few months. Those months are up, and therefore now EE have nothing special over any other operator as far as the Lumia 920 is concerned.

There is an argument to say that starting with the smallest user base is a good idea because that makes it much easier to clean up any mistakes. It may just be that Vodafone and O2 have better managed resources than EE or that everyone in EE is on holiday...
    08-21-2013 09:59 AM
    o2 has been on "coming soon" status since monday morning for the Nokia Lumia 920, so, should come any day now
    08-21-2013 10:03 AM
    Is "coming soon" the penultimate step?
    08-21-2013 10:46 AM
    Is "coming soon" the penultimate step?
    Basically yes... it just meant waiting for the switch to be flicked...

Theoretically, it shouldn't be more than a few days...
    kitty778 likes this.
    08-21-2013 10:52 AM
    Basically yes... it just meant waiting for the switch to be flicked...

Theoretically, it shouldn't be more than a few days...
    Who knows, it will come eventually, probably.
    08-21-2013 12:21 PM
    Disappointed to see we're still sat on 'Coming Soon'

I can only assume that no matter how soon it's approved (though with the unlocked version, I don't see any excuse at all) it still depends on when Nokia see us worthy of actually being allowed it
    08-22-2013 05:07 PM
    Christ! How many times, it's not Nokia. They've released the update to the carriers. It's the carriers who are delaying it!
    08-23-2013 04:32 AM
    I know this don't help you Nokia owners but my Orange Uk Htc 8x got the gdr2 update last night so im sure it cant be much longer for you all
    08-23-2013 04:53 AM
    Christ! How many times, it's not Nokia. They've released the update to the carriers. It's the carriers who are delaying it!
    No, it isn't. We are talking about the CV GB variant, which has nothing to do with the carriers and, in any case, is already approved as it is as the Coming Soon stage.

Regardless, the carriers don't actually deploy any updates. All they do is test them on their network, then it's up to Nokia to schedule deployment OTA from the Nokia servers.

What's frustrating right now is that the Coming Soon stage, which in Nokia's own words is "approved, in final pre-release checks." appears to be taking an awful long time (a full week now).
    scgf likes this.
    08-23-2013 05:04 AM
    If the CV GB update includes 4G then I won't be surprised if we don't see the update till the 29th of August when O2 and Vodafone launch their 4G!
    08-25-2013 07:30 AM
    If the CV GB update includes 4G then I won't be surprised if we don't see the update till the 29th of August when O2 and Vodafone launch their 4G!
    I would hope they would deploy it beforehand so we could be prepared... :(
    08-25-2013 11:17 AM
    Never, I repeat never give your phone to a network to repair it. Take it to a nokia store or mail it to nokia. EE can invalidate your warranty from Nokia. I had a friend who sent a phone to EE to get it back in a worse state, took it to a nokia store and they said the seals that void the warranty have been teared, they also screwed the screws in the wrong way, they said it was a real cowboy job and they couldn't fix it because the warranty was void.
    08-25-2013 02:04 PM
    Never, I repeat never give your phone to a network to repair it. Take it to a nokia store or mail it to nokia. EE can invalidate your warranty from Nokia. I had a friend who sent a phone to EE to get it back in a worse state, took it to a nokia store and they said the seals that void the warranty have been teared, they also screwed the screws in the wrong way, they said it was a real cowboy job and they couldn't fix it because the warranty was void.
    That is another reason to buy the phone unbranded and sim free where possible.
    08-25-2013 04:11 PM
    That is another reason to buy the phone unbranded and sim free where possible.
    Absolutely agree, I made a decision some time ago to get on the cheapest possible SIM only plan and buy my own handsets, I have zero confidence in the technical abilities of any of the operators. They may know their stuff at the network engineering level, but when it comes to handsets they are clueless.
    08-26-2013 03:05 AM
    I totally agree with you, I bought my 920 from EE and after 3 weeks of use it started to go wrong, battery would suddenly drain, missing music tracks, messenger not working, EE refused to replace it so off it went to their repair centre to be fixed under warranty :(
    OMG what a nightmare, it came back with all the same bugs plus the camera was broke :eek: so I sent it back again :( this time it took a month for them to fix it and all that time all I got was the run around from the repair centre, EE call centre blatantly lied to me about my 920, firstly telling me it was lost then found then lost again, then the shop would resolve the issue for me but when I got there all they did was phone the call centre who had no record of my previous calls :eek: or the fact that my 920 had gone in for repair :banghead: and couldn't help me, and the repair centre said nothing.
    I finally got my 920 back and they allegedly replaced the battery, and housing :eek: it was spotless when it went in and updated the firmware again to the same one it had when I bought it, absolutely pointless.
    Never again from a network.

Sent from the event horizon of a quantum singularity :D
    08-26-2013 01:27 PM
    just got a massive update from o2 uk.. could it be amber ? fingers crossed... after about 20 minutes stuck on 100% install.. amber is out on o2 uk..
    Last edited by Mannymiller; 08-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    08-26-2013 04:08 PM
487 12345 ...