Amber Update UK Thread

Verner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Just updated my mate's 820 for him (Vodafone). He's only had the phone a week!!! I'm "patiently" awaiting my non-branded UK update.....bu66er!!!

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The If concerns me there!

I don't think it's worth worrying about... Generally the frontline customer services staff at mobile networks either don't know what they're talking about through ignorance or just having not been told!

The likelihood is that they get so many such requests they just copy and paste out the same response even if they know something is happening, unless of course they're a particularly good advisor.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's worth worrying about... Generally the frontline customer services staff at mobile networks either don't know what they're talking about through ignorance or just having not been told!

The likelihood is that they get so many such requests they just copy and paste out the same response even if they know something is happening, unless of course they're a particularly good advisor.

This. Given the number of responses i have seen on here, Facebook, twitter etc from uk mobile networks the same line more or less is repeated. I'm willing to bet specifics, if they are even known, would not be dished out to customers to avoid continual false hope arguments and the potential PR backlash. Look at MS themselves and their shut up and ship model. That's working well.. smh.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone remember how EE did with Protico/GDR1, didn't think they we're that slow.

That said I'm now on GiffGaff and would rather be on the country variant firmware.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone remember how EE did with Protico/GDR1, didn't think they we're that slow.

That said I'm now on GiffGaff and would rather be on the country variant firmware.

There could be any number of reasons for the order in which Nokia have chosen to release the updates...
I would suggest that either:
- Vodafone, O2 and Unbranded have been prioritised because of the need to update something before the 29th April 4G launch. Or
- Nokia are just being fair, considering how much in advance EE received the update last time around. Or
- Given the number of devices of each variant of phone in each country, this was the best way of spreading the demand on their server time.

In any case, the promise date is the end of September, and to me 6 weeks sounds fairly reasonable given the number of devices and stakeholders, the differences involved and the need to keep some resource spare to deal with potential issues without delaying later releases too far.

That said, it hasn't stopped me checking for my "coming soon" update way too regularly...

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my unlocked, unbranded 920 in Singapore, but use it on 3 in the uk. Anyone know if I'll get the upgrade at the same time as the uk 'country variant ', or the Singaporean one?

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got my unlocked, unbranded 920 in Singapore, but use it on 3 in the uk. Anyone know if I'll get the upgrade at the same time as the uk 'country variant ', or the Singaporean one?

The ssoftware on your phone is dependent entirely on where Nokia intended it to be used, and is totally irrelevant of where you choose to use it or on what network.

Hence, you'll never receive an update with the 3UK or UK Unlocked firmware as your phone and its software weren't designed for use here. You'll get the Singaporean upgrade because that's where Nokia intended for the phone to be used.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've just had a thought. The GDR 2 and Amber update has come pre-loaded on Nokia phones for some time now, so why the hell do the operators have to approve the update (again) when it is already available?

Cubeddd

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
They don't have the update last. They got the update with everyone else but are taking their sweet arse time to release it.

I would like to believe that they've sold more windows phones in the past year than any other operator or country variant in UK, hence would require extensive testing as little bugs and incompatibilities would cost them a lot if they make it to the final release. Also, they probably have a larger database of windows phone IMEI's to compile. This is the mindset that keeps me patient and deters me from burning up one of their Birmingham stores.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've just had a thought. The GDR 2 and Amber update has come pre-loaded on Nokia phones for some time now, so why the hell do the operators have to approve the update (again) when it is already available?

Because an update is very different to a first install. With a first install, you just have to make sure it works properly. With an update, you have to check all of that again, as well as making sure that all the new stuff works, and that the process of updating hasn't broken anything, etc, and that takes a lot longer.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm stunned that EE sold the phone first but seem to be getting the update last.

Why? They only sold it fiirst because they bought the right for a few months. Those months are up, and therefore now EE have nothing special over any other operator as far as the Lumia 920 is concerned.

There is an argument to say that starting with the smallest user base is a good idea because that makes it much easier to clean up any mistakes. It may just be that Vodafone and O2 have better managed resources than EE or that everyone in EE is on holiday...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention