Amber Update UK Thread

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Just a slightly off topic question: if I unlock my device (not through flashing) will behave like a CV phone? In regards to updates as well.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Updates seem to come to F/W on the phone at the time. So if you flashed CV, next update to that CV should be highlighted on your phone. However, if your original F/W gets an update before that, that one will be highlighted too.
At least that what I hope. I seem to of flashed Euro Dev F/W and am waiting to see if the EE one is offered to this phone when it's released.

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
@mookhan
Unlocking of phones goes by IMEI number so a different ROM won't change that. I got mine unlocked this week and still use my T-mobile SIM in it. Was gonna go to Three but the reception around here where I live is terrible.

Thanks for the info. Its useful to know.
I'll probably wait before embarking on changing the ROM. Hopefully I haven't got long before EE releases the update.

Object704

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Sick of waiting for EE.... Should have called themselves Nothing Nowhere because we get **** all... They're far too slow and a pack of idiots. Anybody know anything about when this GDR2/Amber for 920 is getting released? By the end of August, Nokia said... Why hasn't EE delivered?? Morons.

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Sick of waiting for EE.... Should have called themselves Nothing Nowhere because we get **** all... They're far too slow and a pack of idiots. Anybody know anything about when this GDR2/Amber for 920 is getting released? By the end of August, Nokia said... Why hasn't EE delivered?? Morons.

Nokia confirmed everyone will receive the update by the end of September. However im seriously considering changing the ROM on mine to the UK country variant. The downside of that it invalidates the warranty on the handset.

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

Nokia confirmed everyone will receive the update by the end of September. However im seriously considering changing the ROM on mine to the UK country variant. The downside of that it invalidates the warranty on the handset.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why putting a different ROM would invalidate warranty if you revert back to your original? I ask because I have flashed my device numerous time via NSU retail and when my device have problems, I took it to a care centre where they just reflashed again, no questions asked?

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why putting a different ROM would invalidate warranty if you revert back to your original? I ask because I have flashed my device numerous time via NSU retail and when my device have problems, I took it to a care centre where they just reflashed again, no questions asked?

I going on what I was told. If it doesn't thats great. I suspect it only invalidates if I brick the handset Anyway this week I'll look into flashing the ROM to the UK country variant ROM. That way I have to don't wait operator approvals for new updates.

Last edited:

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just to update you all. I have decided to reflash my handset with the GB country variant ROM. Im happily updated to Amber :p
If needs be I can easily move back to the EE ROM if I need to claim on the warranty.

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
One bug I'm beginning to notice is that when I hit a link from a webpage that open a video to Youtube, you can't control the volume in the player anymore. Though the numbers change, the level of sound stays the same even down to Zero. Anyone else notice that? On the plus side, I'm getting regular 24hr updates, around 11pm, the time of my reinstall, of apps which is good.

Edit: This seems to only happen when the Glance/Peek screen is enabled.

Last edited:

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
EE - pillocks. Get the update out! - there is simply no excuse for this, and they don't learn their lessons. If it was iPhone customers would be shouting and screaming for the update, it is only because Lumia is less popular we get this substandard treatment.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching the Nokia webpage and it looks like Vodaphone win this contest, followed by the country variant, O2 and 3, with EE having not even approved the update yet on the 920 as of today.

This information will definitely influence my decision next time I sign a contract.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching the Nokia webpage and it looks like Vodaphone win this contest, followed by the country variant, O2 and 3, with EE having not even approved the update yet on the 920 as of today.

This information will definitely influence my decision next time I sign a contract.

It really isn't worth putting that much thought into it. The order of release changes with every software release.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Cant understand the paranoia regarding some of those that haven't received the latest update yet.......... it will come when its been tested and ready for release by the relevant provider .........be patient!

Lumia928

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
there are problems with my phone and I am hoping the FW update will fix them. Given the update has been released all across the US and in many European countries without issue it is unlikely EE phones will have any problems too. They are simply being lazy.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
there are problems with my phone and I am hoping the FW update will fix them. Given the update has been released all across the US and in many European countries without issue it is unlikely EE phones will have any problems too. They are simply being lazy.

Its too easy and incorrect to call them lazy, Idleness isn't the issue here. We are in the same boat as our brothers and sisters on AT&T over in the USA. To my knowledge, they're still waiting right? What is annoying people is the lack of info about this update from EE when they are asked repeatedly about it's whereabouts-particularly in the face of incessant banal advertising, endless claims about their speed, AND because we on Lumia's paid a hefty premium to get the phones 'first' on 4G. EE certainly could (and should) have had the market advantage by working harder to get this particular update out first, but lets be really honest here, we cannot ignore the fact that we UK WP owners on EE are going to be a relatively small crowd.
It makes sense to me that perhaps their resources are pooled to serve the competition-however right or wrong that may seem to us. They are in the money making business, they are NOT Nokia who have a vested interest in our particular handsets. That is only my opinion and I am not excusing EE here, I'm just as pissed off as every other EE Lumia owner that we are seemingly the last currently- but according to the Nokia roll-out site, we are by far the last on the planet let alone Europe to receive it. We should retain some perspective on this one. There are still 4 weeks to honor Nokia's commitment to roll out Amber/GDR2 before the end of September. However much we don't like it, no one is 'late' yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb