Amber Update UK Thread

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
maybe all EE users should contact them asking wtf the update isn't out yet.

Believe me, we already are. We all get the same response, sometimes word for word. It wont speed it up any. Like i said above, idleness on their part isn't the problem here. There will be a legitimate reason-be it resources/bug fixing/whatever- that dictates we are currently the last carrier to get it but they are sadly not obligated to tell us why. We are a very small portion of their some 27million customers. It stinks but, there's not much we can do. You sign that contract willingly, and frankly we all should know these situations can arise-particularly as WP8 users!! It might not be something we like to think of as we un-box that new handset, but as savvy tech enthusiasts we have to accept this home truth if we are being honest with ourselves.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is saying be patient! This is an important update to fix/help the other storage problem and Xbox music. I have 16-17GB lost! Hurry up EE

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is saying be patient! This is an important update to fix/help the other storage problem and Xbox music. I have 16-17GB lost! Hurry up EE

It is important to us yes, but perhaps it is MS who should shoulder the blame there-creating the Other Storage issue in the first place.
I'm anxious to get it too but EE's remit here is to deliver it safely- and they still have another 4 weeks to do so. If this was November then, fine, this degree of impatience would be justified. EE are not explicitly concerned with specific improvements to this particular OS that GDR2 brings, however important they may be to you or I. That s a Nokia/Microsoft concern. Ultimately it may be something that guides your next decision come contract time but, this is not a deal breaker for me. EE have their faults but they can't be criticized fairly for not providing something based on your or my timescale or because we have a personal view on what is acceptable. There is still time for them to fulfill their end of the bargain and they are entitled to organise that however they want. If it really meant that much to you, then you buy your phone outright and do it that way- i couldn't do that so...here we are today. Without getting to political about it all, at the end of the day we make a deal with these companies at point of purchase and its naive to think the odds are stacked in our favour at any point.

I'm fairly new to smartphones compared to some here but honestly in the history of phone updates I've heard about with Andriod or IOS...this is not a crisis, nor is it something to panic about sorry.

mookhan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you link me the GB-CV ROM please ?

I used Navifirm Plus download the GB-CV ROM. Yeah I know it costs a few pounds to purchase. But it gives access to current and previous firmware for all Nokia handsets.
The I used Nokia Care Suite to flash the device. One downside to reflashing direct to Amber is you lose Google Mail EAS setup. You have to use IMAP. I wasn't a fan of that so reflashed my handset to the GB-CV ROM prior to Amber. Then set up my Gmail account on the phone and then force the phone to do a software update to Amber. That way I still retain Google Mail EAS setup and dont have use IMAP.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm literally having only 1 issue with the EE firmware update through Nokia Software Update for Retail - every time I restart the phone, the volume resets to 13 (I like it on 20). Anyone found a way to overcome this?

Edit:

I contacted Nokia support directly and they say this is by design:

Rose (9:33:58)

I have checked that this will be a normal behaviour of phone, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation, which is mandatory in new devices in EU in 2013, to avoid the possible damage of ear hearing. You can still adjust the volume level up to 30 with the volume key on the side.

Muessig (9:35:03)

So you can confirm that after the Amber update every Lumia device will automatically reset its volume level to 13 regardless of what it was before and that this is a feature and not a bug. I will have to change it myself every single restart from now on?

Rose (9:35:38)

That is right, Muessig. This is to comply with European audio limitation.

This might be one of the main reasons people are complaining the notification sounds are lower after the Amber update - because they don't realise the volume resets itself!

Last edited:

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm literally having only 1 issue with the EE firmware update through Nokia Software Update for Retail - every time I restart the phone, the volume resets to 13 (I like it on 20). Anyone found a way to overcome this?

Edit:

I contacted Nokia support directly and they say this is by design:

This might be one of the main reasons people are complaining the notification sounds are lower after the Amber update - because they don't realise the volume resets itself!

Mine always reverted back to Vol 19 before the update. I didn't notice that it was 13 now. I've also got a Google Nexus and it also reverts to a lower volume level on reboot and then gives a warning when you turn it up with earphones plugged in so it's probably an industry wide thing

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Worst thing is, once the L920 becomes a discontinued model, updates from the carriers normally stop. T-mobile normally get in about 2 - 3 during the lifetime of the handset. I can see the next update being the last for a long time here with EE. Unless the Microsoft/Nokia tie in can change things.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Had a reply from 3UK about the status of amber on their network which unfortunately was "No further update sorry"

They're never very helpful when it comes for firmware update information.

Whenever I have called them to ask for such details, it's almost as if I'm talking to someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Waiting is getting a little boring now...it must be over a week on 'coming soon' by now.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well Guys i finally took the plunge and updated to Amber, here is my experience on the battery.

Battery was fully charged before update, after updating battery was at 94% however from just checking settings etc it is down to 88%. According to Battery (app) discharge rate is 16.57%, now just restarted via power on and off its down to 14.36% - soft reset has increased the discharge rate to 14.6%. Therefore I imagine enabling 4g is causing the high discharge rate.

However some people have claimed to get longer battery life, on that note I guess I need to go through a cycle to let it settle.

Also as I was checking my settings I noticed, I still had the option set google for search - not that I want to! lol.

This is off topic but want some feedback, I got offered Unlimited minutes, texts & 1 gb of 4g data with O2 for ?20 a month shall I take sign up for another 12? or go onto a rolling and not renew?

Edit: Nokia have released an update for Audio Settings, it appears under call + SMS filter.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130904_0011.png
    wp_ss_20130904_0011.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs