Amber Update UK Thread

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
First off, the positives:
I appreciate most of the changes in GDR2 and Amber. Some of the change log doesn't really apply to me but it's nice to have FM Radio again as this was something sorely missed after the transition Symbian. I'm keen to try the Xbox Music but I would really prefer if I could keep my artist and album images as they are. Data Sense looks good. I'm on an unlimited plan but it's still nice to see what apps are using a lot of data. I haven't as yet had a chance to test with ProCam app and the changes in the image algorithms but that should be a positive experience. The ProCam app looks extremely good (do I even need ProShot anymore??) and along with the new image/video apps available (SmartCam and Video Trimmer) after the update, the camera experience should be improved even more. The Glance screen is a great addition. Double tap to wake is ok as long as the impact on the battery isn't too bad. Flip to silence is a superb idea and I cannot wait to try it out when the missus calls me later :) Call and SMS filtering is another great feature to have on hand.

Now the things that still need to be looked at or improved:
I was really hoping (not expecting) that it would be possible to sync bookmarks with IE10 after this update. I can't work out why such a basic, but important feature in missing. There's still no way to create sub-folders in favourites either. I'm stuck using a workaround of exporting my bookmarks from FF, then uploading the html file to my website then bookmarking the page in IE10 on my phone. At least I can access my favourites, but I'd much rather have them locally stored on the phone in their folders. Madness.

The other storage bug is infuriating and needs an acceptable resolution asap. Some people have lost up to, and in some cases, more than 50% of their entire available storage and this isn't good enough. Resetting the phone periodically is not a practical solution for most people.

Live Tiles are another area that need to be looked at imo. The updates fail far too often. In fact, all mine failed again after applying gdr2/amber. Whilst I appreciate that the cause may sometimes be a third party app, surely MS can do more to make it possible for users to get things working again with relative ease? Again, why should people have to reset their phones for something that should be possible to resolve without inconvenience?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Snapdragon S4 supports USB-OTG. Well, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that this would be an awesome feature to implement on WP8. Space is a premium for most people, especially with the 'other' storage bug. The 1020 is likely to be limited to most users to 32GBs and it won't take long for a casual photographer to fill up the phone...add a few apps and games and within a very short space of time, the phone will be full. USB-OTG could ease some issues. This would require MS to open things up a bit and imho, that would be another good thing too.

I'm still waiting for a practical solution to using a heart rate monitor for apps like Runtastic and Sports Tracker. Both developers are blaming MS and WP8 for their inability to provide a feature. Hopefully this will be fixed asap.

It would also be nice to have a fully functioning Windows app for transferring files, creating and editing playlists, sync bookmarks...perhaps even viewing/editing contacts etc.

On the whole, I'm still very happy with WP8. There is progress being made but some areas are light years behind other platforms. Symbian is well ahead in most things except performance due to their dated CPUs and limited RAM and Symbian is dead. If MS are serious about competing, then they need to pull their finger out and make WP more convenient as well as providing the features that the hardware can support.

Last edited:

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait for this update from EE, but when Windows Phone Blue surfaces next year, i'll flash the rom. Because god knows if Blue will even come to the 920 on EE. They have no desire when it comes to WP seemingly.

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
At least we are a little more informed! So hopefully within 10 days we will see it! Their feed says "rejoice", "sorry", would have been better!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
@Nick_1020

The good side of resetting is you keep all your Text and Apps from your app list.
The downside is that you lose all photos and music unless you've uploaded photos to SkyDrive.
Make sure you set Settings>Backup then app list to backup on and the same with Texts.
The text are saved from the first time you activated the phone, i.e mine go back to Dec 2012 when I got this phone. It never gets deleted.
Apps however is different. If some apps you have are no longer available, you will not be able to get them again.
Also, it takes absolutely ages to do. You'll also have to manually add music.
I realise I'll probably have to do a reset with mine as I'm having an odd problem loading this webpage for some reason(Only loads via PC).
Hope that helps.

Thanks again greycounciller.

I do have a couple of apps that have since been withdrawn from the Store so I'm gonna hold off on the reset for the time being or until decent alternatives become available.

Do you know if saved game progress and app data are restored after a reset?

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again greycounciller.

Do you know if saved game progress and app data are restored after a reset?

Most app data and saves are lost.

I've lost quite a bit. But I thought it was probably better to do it sooner as I was really fed up with EE slowing things down. The longer I left it the more I'd loose.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Most app data and saves are lost.

I've lost quite a bit. But I thought it was probably better to do it sooner as I was really fed up with EE slowing things down. The longer I left it the more I'd loose.

Thanks for the reply.

That's a shame.

I hope WP8 gets hacked at some point. Having root access and being able to copy game/app data before flashing/resetting is a huge plus.

antonyfrn

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get an answer out of EE the other day according to the manager the girl grabbed who was with the Nokia rep EEs software isn't compatible with GDR2/Amber so there taking there time aptitude I got was horrible I was told "Well your phones working what's the problem?"

greycounciller

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think even with the stock camera mine has really improved leaps and bounds.
Here's 2 examples of my keyboard with both, the top is with ProCam...WP_20130906_15_54_17_Pro[1].jpg WP_20130906_002[1].jpg

darknight_247

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Received my update today on 3 Uk. GDR2/Amber on Lumia 920 is great, im having an awesome time playing with glance :D

If your on 3 and haven't had the OTA notification then do a manual search in settings.

Last edited:

Vaco85

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I already have amber Update,but just 10min ago i downloaded the new update. Some1 know what is this? Lumia 920 Vodafone UK.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Since updating, I no longer see contact details on incoming calls. I just see the number and no name or image. Is this due to a setting that needs to be changed or is it a bug?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind. Roy from the helpdesk fixed it for me:
it-crowd1.jpg

slam50

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
According to nokia's site EE is the only uk provider the update live

ProductLumia 920 Description3 UK Latest version3047.0000.1326.2003 Lumia Amber updateAvailable
ProductLumia 920 DescriptionEverything Everywhere Latest version1232.5957.1308.0020 Lumia Amber updateWaiting for approval
ProductLumia 920 DescriptionO2 Latest version3047.0000.1326.2004 Lumia Amber updateAvailable
ProductLumia 920 DescriptionVodafone Latest version3047.0000.1326.2008 Lumia Amber updateAvailable

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
When EE issued a tweet suggesting the mid September timeframe, a customer responded by saying "what took you so long"... EE officially responded by blaming Nokia "we are just waiting for Nokia, they like to test any updates before rolled out"... Blame Nokia, that's the official line from EE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre