After Amber update photo quality totally rocks!

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
So i got Amber update yesterday and today i went to test out Pro Camera and how good shots it can take. And i was really blown away :shocked:

Here is link to photos i took today. Make sure to view Original from top bar or right click over photo for maximum quality.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a7e6ec70cbc020d7#cid=A7E6EC70CBC020D7&id=A7E6EC70CBC020D7!608

Let me sum it up. Sharpness, noise levels, colour accuracy, contrast and white balance is way way better than before update. That horrendous splotchy noise is gone and photos still look much sharper compared to Portico update. Auto settings work quite well and it nails white balance and exposure pretty well. Only issue with white balance is when you are shooting from shadowed area and there is stark contrast with light on background. Then photos are prone to get bluish/purple tint to shadowed areas of photo. Using manual white balance setting doesn't seem to help. If contrast to light on background isn't too excessive you can fix white balance using manual settings.

Colour saturation seems to toned down quite a bit. Actually i think it is on par with Lumia 925. Photo quality is pretty much same like in 925 since i guess software is same on both devices. It would be nice to comparison between those to see if 6th lens actually makes difference.

I have no interest upgrade to 1020 any more since IQ is top notch now. Probably this is all you can get from this camera :smile: I just wait 1020 successor in 2014.
So sweet thinks are coming to those who haven't got Amber update yet.

I'm heading to take some low light shots later on evening to see how those turn out. Then you really need to tweak ISO and shutter speeds. I'm gonna post those shots in to this post later so come back later to check those out.

Have fun with your 920 and Pro Camera :cool:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So i got Amber update yesterday and today i went to test out Pro Camera and how good shots it can take. And i was really blown away :shocked:

Here is link to photos i took today. Make sure to view Original from top bar or right click over photo for maximum quality.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a7e6ec70cbc020d7#cid=A7E6EC70CBC020D7&id=A7E6EC70CBC020D7!608

Let me sum it up. Sharpness, noise levels, colour accuracy, contrast and white balance is way way better than before update. That horrendous splotchy noise is gone and photos still look much sharper compared to Portico update. Auto settings work quite well and it nails white balance and exposure pretty well. Only issue with white balance is when you are shooting from shadowed area and there is stark contrast with light on background. Then photos are prone to get bluish/purple tint to shadowed areas of photo. Using manual white balance setting doesn't seem to help. If contrast to light on background isn't too excessive you can fix white balance using manual settings.

Colour saturation seems to toned down quite a bit. Actually i think it is on par with Lumia 925. Photo quality is pretty much same like in 925 since i guess software is same on both devices. It would be nice to comparison between those to see if 6th lens actually makes difference.

I have no interest upgrade to 1020 any more since IQ is top notch now. Probably this is all you can get from this camera :smile: I just wait 1020 successor in 2014.
So sweet thinks are coming to those who haven't got Amber update yet.

I'm heading to take some low light shots later on evening to see how those turn out. Then you really need to tweak ISO and shutter speeds. I'm gonna post those shots in to this post later so come back later to check those out.

Have fun with your 920 and Pro Camera :cool:

Quick question, does the pro cam app show you the pictures in full resolution? Also what about the default camera app? Is it still a compressed blurry photo or is the full resolution visible through the gallery.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, does the pro cam app show you the pictures in full resolution? Also what about the default camera app? Is it still a compressed blurry photo or is the full resolution visible through the gallery.

Pics are full res, either 7Mp in 16:9 or 8Mp in 4:3. Haven't tried default camera app since i really don't care. My photos have been always fullres in gallery. I don't even know about that issue you are having.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Pics are full res, either 7Mp in 16:9 or 8Mp in 4:3. Haven't tried default camera app since i really don't care. My photos have been always fullres in gallery. I don't even know about that issue you are having.

Actually, pre-amber, the phone automatically compresses the pictures in the gallery to make scrolling through them fast and smooth. When you look at the pictures on your computer, they were much sharper than in the photos gallery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos