Did AT&T forget about us?

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You Americans really think your the only one in the world eh ?

Of course we don't think that! We know they are other places in the world where our housekeepers and laundry workers come from!

:smile: just kidding, had to throw that in... Now let the backlash of insults aimed at me begin!

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
It works on the 920 in Canada and Australia. The 92X variants work on Verizon and TMobile. I personally think they are making sure to strip out Data Sense. Other than that, I'm not sure what they need to test that hasn't been tested by the other networks.

Being a Zune Pass subscriber and knowing that the DRM fix is sitting on a server is so frustrating. If AT&T communicated with us...at all, it would be so much better. I'm wondering if it would just be worth it to manually flash the ROM
I flashed my phone (920) with the Euro Dev Rom. So far no issues and I have all features including Data Sense and FM Radio. If you know a little about computers you will be fine. There is a thread that explains how to do it in 13 steps and it's well explained and detailed

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if anyone has sent Elop and email regarding there "premium" partner and the lack of communication on their end? I know he answers all of his emails.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Do all the 920s share the same radio?

Nope, the global has more bands to worry about. AT&T has three that are also part of the global version.

So your theory is that AT&T has a network that is so complex that the tri-band radio requires extra testing time?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Where are the updates?

No wonder I never recommend carrier locked phones, they need the raw update file to bloat it with their softwares before releasing it to the public.
This can take a little while, which in the carrier's books is a few good months.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to expedite the update, contact AT&T's Office of the President, they're the executive customer care advocates, they can get you the answers you're looking for. I've already emailed them today, waiting for them to respond.

Pft whatever. Those people could give a flying *************************************** about you and me. A long time ago I naively tried that route, when ATT wouldn't release the patch for the hiding keyboard which made a material flaw of WP7 phones. They were completely unresponsive and unhelpful and kept trying to put the blame back on ME! Like I was at fault for the keyboard not working.

If you get a response they will bury you in bureaucratic back and forth asking you things that have no bearing on the issue. Things like "do you have an account with us?" No? "well then we won't help you"

If you buy an ATT phone in US, which is usually the only place to get the model due to their exclusivity agreements, and then you do something "outrageous" like use service other than ATT, you are as good as dead to them....which is just a step below "almost dead" which is where they want all of their contract lemmings to be. "Just shut up and give us your money and do as we say" is pretty much the philosophy of the president and all his minions.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope, the global has more bands to worry about. AT&T has three that are also part of the global version.

So your theory is that AT&T has a network that is so complex that the tri-band radio requires extra testing time?
ATT has the network that gave 1308 problems while the rest of the world was fine.

Who knows what part of ATT's systems, Portico, the 920, and the 1308 firmware caused it, but something was different about ATT last time. Probably has led to ATT to do more extensive testing this time around, not because they necessarily will have issues, just because they have more negative experience in the past than everyone else.

At the end of the day, yes, the 920 on ATT is different than other WP8 devices on ATT and the 920 on other networks. All combinations are different. Stop whining about a week.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Pft whatever. Those people could give a flying *************************************** about you and me. A long time ago I naively tried that route, when ATT wouldn't release the patch for the hiding keyboard which made a material flaw of WP7 phones. They were completely unresponsive and unhelpful and kept trying to put the blame back on ME! Like I was at fault for the keyboard not working.

If you get a response they will bury you in bureaucratic back and forth asking you things that have no bearing on the issue. Things like "do you have an account with us?" No? "well then we won't help you"

If you buy an ATT phone in US, which is usually the only place to get the model due to their exclusivity agreements, and then you do something "outrageous" like use service other than ATT, you are as good as dead to them....which is just a step below "almost dead" which is where they want all of their contract lemmings to be. "Just shut up and give us your money and do as we say" is pretty much the philosophy of the president and all his minions.
Ummm, maybe when you have a software problem with your phone, you should go to the people that write the software? Do you Best Buy to distribute service packs for Windows?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
But it's not premature. They released the 925/1030 within weeks of their announcements. Those phones were developed with GDR2, everything else needs to have firmware updated to peacefully coexist. Furthermore, Nokia and carriers have finite resources, and would clearly focus on getting new handsets out over delivering minor tweaks to existing devices. It just makes sense that GDR2 on the 920 would come after the 925 and 1020.

It's less than a month from the 1020 release. Only a week since VZW released on the 928. Not the end of the world.

You're right about the 1020, the official announcement did come shortly before actual release. I'll take your word on the 928.

The 920 was announced something like 6 months before it hit the market. I remember hearing about it at some point in the summer which is why I decided to wait. Now, it could be that Nokia has learned from their experience, which would be a good thing.

But it's also true that GDR2 and it's features were announced months ago. We're already talking about GDR3 and who knows when it's coming. So maybe this is more of a Microsoft issue, than Nokia's. That said, I think my other points stand.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
ATT has the network that gave 1308 problems while the rest of the world was fine.

Who knows what part of ATT's systems, Portico, the 920, and the 1308 firmware caused it, but something was different about ATT last time. Probably has led to ATT to do more extensive testing this time around, not because they necessarily will have issues, just because they have more negative experience in the past than everyone else.

At the end of the day, yes, the 920 on ATT is different than other WP8 devices on ATT and the 920 on other networks. All combinations are different. Stop whining about a week.
Throwing around insults about people "whining", doesn't make you right even though I'm sue it makes you feel superior. Since you're so set on being precise, let's just agree that the "week" you reference is incorrect.

I've been through AT&T being silent about updates before and it left with a crippled phone. I had the vanishing keyboard bug that Microsoft patched and AT&T never released...ever. That was on my first Windows Phone, the Samsung Focus. Their reasoning to me was that they don't like releasing small updates. Trust me when I tell you that I didn't whine that day, I had a full on tantrum.

No, I have very trust that AT&T is doing the right thing in the right way, but hey, feel free to defend them at all costs. I don't have time to look it up, but I thought I've seen mentioned that the 1020 has the same radio as the 920. That's probably from just another whiner though.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Throwing around insults about people "whining", doesn't make you right even though I'm sue it makes you feel superior. Since you're so set on being precise, let's just agree that the "week" you reference is incorrect.

I've been through AT&T being silent about updates before and it left with a crippled phone. I had the vanishing keyboard bug that Microsoft patched and AT&T never released...ever. That was on my first Windows Phone, the Samsung Focus. Their reasoning to me was that they don't like releasing small updates. Trust me when I tell you that I didn't whine that day, I had a full on tantrum.

No, I have very trust that AT&T is doing the right thing in the right way, but hey, feel free to defend them at all costs. I don't have time to look it up, but I thought I've seen mentioned that the 1020 has the same radio as the 920. That's probably from just another whiner though.

ATT 8X: 8/15. VZW 928: 8/15. T-Mo 521 and 810: 8/15 920 for the rest of the world: 8/15 (for some.) Sorry, 8 days instead of a week. Although when I referenced it yesterday, it was a week. Whatever.

The 8X has the same radio as the 920, too. It's called the Snapdragon S4 MSM8690. But the 8X didn't have the issues the 920 had after Portico on ATT. It's not just the radio, it's going to be a different firmware than the 1020. It has to drive a different camera, a different flash system, etc. Just because the 1020's firmware works on ATT's system with ATT's software does not mean the 920's will.

Your complaints don't hold water in this case. If they updated the 8X, they'll update the much more popular 920. If 11 days (assuming rumored 8/26 release holds,) on a fairly minor update of a phone OS is a major issue for you, you might want to review your priorities.

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft ceded update control to Best Buy to distribute the service packs then yes, logically one would since they are the ones holding the keys. But see how absurd that sounds? No one would ever imagine giving control of something so basic and critical as an operating system update to a retailer who is only concerned about their sale, not how it performs.

Why should this make sense for the phone OS?
Huh? ATT doesn't distribute updates to unlocked phones. He was complaining about ATT not supporting him when his phone is on a different carrier's network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss