Did AT&T forget about us?

Idan Cohen

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Huh? ATT doesn't distribute updates to unlocked phones. He was complaining about ATT not supporting him when his phone is on a different carrier's network.

huh? i have an unlocked att lumia 920 , on a network in israel , and i got the 1314 update. att DOES DISTRIBUTE updates to unlocked phones

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
You're right about the 1020, the official announcement did come shortly before actual release. I'll take your word on the 928.

The 920 was announced something like 6 months before it hit the market. I remember hearing about it at some point in the summer which is why I decided to wait. Now, it could be that Nokia has learned from their experience, which would be a good thing.

But it's also true that GDR2 and it's features were announced months ago. We're already talking about GDR3 and who knows when it's coming. So maybe this is more of a Microsoft issue, than Nokia's. That said, I think my other points stand.

The 920 was announced a month and a half before it hit the market, not 6 months. Nokia Lumia 920 official: Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 CPU, 8MP PureView camera, Windows Phone 8 (video) Yes, we knew about it, but it wasn't official, and a lot of the timing of the ATIV/920/8X releases was due to MSFT wanting to get the hardware releases seperate from the software, not due to the manufacturer desires. And MSFT hasn't hyped GDR2 or GDR3 at all. They started talking publicly about GDR2 after it was released. GDR3 is all based on rumors and leaks, maybe some generalities from Belifiore about enabling new devices with the releases this year.

Again, Nokia's are resources are limited. Their main focus with GDR2 was the 925 and 1020, which was a big push, and then they worked the 920 and the rest. The 920 GDR2 release only happened last week. This thread is about ATT delaying GDR2, and all I'm saying is that I don't see a meaningful delay from ATT's side.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
they might have now after the various complaints they received after the faulty 1308 update

You may be right, but I don't think they they care about our complaints, I think they are letting other providers be the test subjects for bugs and crashes, after every other provider get its fixed they'll just use their patches and fixes then roll it out to their customers that way it doesn't really cost as much as really having a good IT R&D Team.

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You may be right, but I don't think they they care about our complaints, I think they are letting other providers be the test subjects for bugs and crashes, after every other provider get its fixed they'll just use their patches and fixes then roll it out to their customers that way it doesn't really cost as much as really having a good IT R&D Team.

Windows phone beta test anyone? But honestly at this point, the only carrier that actually seems to listen to their consumers is T-Mobile. The other three care only for attracting new customers, as opposed to keeping current ones.

Sent from the stars...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Today is the speculated day guys! This thread was great. Enjoyed all the arguing, I'll miss you all...but on the other hand...if ATT doesn't release it today, all hell is going to break loose! Even Tim will join our revolution!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Woah.

I guess it was a wise decision to manually do the update weeks ago... data sense and call/sms blocking intact!

I would do this if there was a known fact that we could update when GDR3 or 8.1 comes out. But I didn't want to risk that. I figured I'd go the flashing route once ATT decides to end updating 920. Looks like it could be sooner rather than later :/

Also, does any one know whether the update will show up on NCS before the OTA update? I'm wondering if we'll be able to know when the OTA update is imminent. I checked last night and there was no NCS amber firmware for ATT

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I would do this if there was a known fact that we could update when GDR3 or 8.1 comes out. But I didn't want to risk that. I figured I'd go the flashing route once ATT decides to end updating 920. Looks like it could be sooner rather than later :/

Also, does any one know whether the update will show up on NCS before the OTA update? I'm wondering if we'll be able to know when the OTA update is imminent. I checked last night and there was no NCS amber firmware for ATT

In the past with att L920 ncs first, ota a week or 2 later

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I do realize that AT&T tech support isn't a very reliable source, but I just spoke with an agent that insisted that the update would be released. I hope she's right - but I also know that if she isn't, switching to the international ROM and going down that path will get me at least as far as WP8.1.

DatManWolf

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
DatManWolf ‏@DatmanWolf 22 Aug

@ATT Come on guys! Every other US company has the Lumia updates available. WTF is the hold up?
Expand
AT&T ‏@ATT 22 Aug

@DatmanWolf Please stay tuned for the update. Once we get the update, the community will be the first to know.
Hide conversation
Retweet
Favorite
11:19 AM - 22 Aug 13 ? Details

After my 4th tweet last week I got this cookie cutter response.
I gave up after that

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure no matter what Rom you have running on your phone as long there is an update it will show

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure no matter what Rom you have running on your phone as long there is an update it will show

Right, but a lot of the roms are dev roms. And I never heard of anyone with a portico dev rom getting an OTA update to Amber.

And the other question is, which roms are dead ends? Like how the ATT rom can't be flashed back in the future. If I switch to the ATT dev rom, could I switch back to rogers and then to RM-821 if those were the only roms getting GDR3?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo