Did AT&T forget about us?

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Right, but a lot of the roms are dev roms. And I never heard of anyone with a portico dev rom getting an OTA update to Amber.

And the other question is, which roms are dead ends? Like how the ATT rom can't be flashed back in the future. If I switch to the ATT dev rom, could I switch back to rogers and then to RM-821 if those were the only roms getting GDR3?
If your phone is and AT&T phone and you flash it to Rogers or to RM 821 you can't go back to AT&T. If the phone is Rogers you can go RM 821 and vice versa. I don't know about that AT&T developers rom because it has nam_Canada in one of the files meaning that is a mix of an AT&T and Rogers rom.If the phone is RM 821 I don't know if is possible to change it to Rogers or AT&T(RM 820). I'm writing this as an owner of an AT&T phone flashed to Eur Dev (RM 821).That's why I don't know what happen or if it works starting from RM 821 (international phone)to RM 820.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is and AT&T phone and you flash it to Rogers or to RM 821 you can't go back to AT&T. If the phone is Rogers you can go RM 821 and vice versa. I don't know about that AT&T developers rom because it has nam_Canada in one of the files meaning that is a mix of an AT&T and Rogers rom.If the phone is RM 821 I don't know if is possible to change it to Rogers or AT&T(RM 820). I'm writing this as an owner of an AT&T phone flashed to Eur Dev (RM 821).That's why I don't know what happen or if it works starting from RM 821 (international phone)to RM 820.
correct. The dev on XDA who installed the ATT dev rom also had to go back to the Rogers first to be able to upgrade to the ATT dev rom. He also could not find a way to get back to ATT yet. You cannot flash directly to AT&T Dev (if you are on a ATT rom right now) and because you have to flash the pre-portico Rogers first there is no way back to pure ATT at the moment.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2112674
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=38325527#post38325527
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=44996701&postcount=10
that is the only reason I have not flashed mine yet. Too risky for an old fart like me...

Last edited:

S60keyo

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My problem with AT&T is quite simple...communication. I know some people don't like others venting frustration about not being at the beginning of the rollout, but AT&T could solve this with a few simple steps. Stop being vague about what the "testing process" is. Unless there is some super secret reason why customers cannot know what happens in this testing process, AT&T should just come out and say what the process entails. Give an average amount of time that it takes for the "testing" to be completed. If they run into a problem, simply announce the problem and keep on testing. No one has a problem with AT&T testing, but keep your consumers in the loop. Maybe AT&T is having the devote time right now to getting iOS7 ready to rollout the day Apple announces it. Or maybe they are having to test the myriad of Android phones out there in addition to the GDR2 update for the L920. Nobody knows because AT&T is tight lipped and just has no comments on any updates. Should they reply to every person who posts something, no. But a simple place on their website allowing users to track the testing process for each and every phone would allow consumers to know more about the process and whether their phone updates are on par with the process for others or supbar.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My problem with AT&T is quite simple...communication.
I am afraid ATT is such a behemoth in the industry that it's all disconnected. I'd even go so far and say that even if the testers give the OK the process of actually releasing is complex or involved with a lot of bureaucracy. A company like ATT will never allow the public to see the process of testing. It may potentially expose them. All that counts is revenue.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
My problem with AT&T is quite simple...communication. I know some people don't like others venting frustration about not being at the beginning of the rollout, but AT&T could solve this with a few simple steps. Stop being vague about what the "testing process" is. Unless there is some super secret reason why customers cannot know what happens in this testing process, AT&T should just come out and say what the process entails. Give an average amount of time that it takes for the "testing" to be completed. If they run into a problem, simply announce the problem and keep on testing. No one has a problem with AT&T testing, but keep your consumers in the loop. Maybe AT&T is having the devote time right now to getting iOS7 ready to rollout the day Apple announces it. Or maybe they are having to test the myriad of Android phones out there in addition to the GDR2 update for the L920. Nobody knows because AT&T is tight lipped and just has no comments on any updates. Should they reply to every person who posts something, no. But a simple place on their website allowing users to track the testing process for each and every phone would allow consumers to know more about the process and whether their phone updates are on par with the process for others or supbar.

I could not have said it better myself.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yea this wait sucks, if it is released in late Sept. that is ridiculous, GDR3 might be close by then. ATT are being douches and at the least should properly communicate why they are holding this up.

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
ATT is doing what they always do regarding smartphone firmware updates... They strip out features that break the o/s and then by the time they get things working again they release their franken mess of an outdated update.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
not sure Nokia will stand for that. TO the point of they may say ******************** you and send the update to users.

You want to damage a partner relationship real quick, do something stupid like kill updates for a flagship phone.

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 isn't going to be the flagship phone anymore, that's the problem. By not releasing the GDR2 to 920 they hope to sell more 925's. The 925 is also a Nokia phone, you think they care if ATT doesn't update the 920? No. They will sell more 925's then.

What really confuses me is they released the update for the HTC 8x, also a Windows Phone. I know GDR2 is a combo of MS update and Nokia update, so unless the Nokia portion really steps out of bounds with ATT where is the problem? Also the 1025 runs GDR2, and that release didn't see any real delays. So we all know the GDR2 works with ATT just fine. SO WTF ATT????

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 920 isn't going to be the flagship phone anymore, that's the problem. By not releasing the GDR2 to 920 they hope to sell more 925's. The 925 is also a Nokia phone, you think they care if ATT doesn't update the 920? No. They will sell more 925's then.

What really confuses me is they released the update for the HTC 8x, also a Windows Phone. I know GDR2 is a combo of MS update and Nokia update, so unless the Nokia portion really steps out of bounds with ATT where is the problem? Also the 1025 runs GDR2, and that release didn't see any real delays. So we all know the GDR2 works with ATT just fine. SO WTF ATT????

No GDR2 is MS, Amber is nokia. We are waiting for Amber+GDR2.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you guys are probably right about the 925. They'll wait until the 925 "newness" buzz wears off, and then give us 920 owners the update..

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ye gads.

Current 920 owners fall into two categories: those who are ineligible for upgrade because they haven't even had their phone a full year, and those who bought their phone off-contract and wouldn't buy an on-contract phone anyway. Neither group are prime candidates for 925 sales, so it does AT&T no good to delay 920 updates in the hopes it would drive 920 users to the 925. Or to the 1020, for that matter, for the same reasons.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've now heard the update for the 920 will be the released end of September. @AT&T Forums, I hope they can do better than that, but I doubt they really care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo