Did AT&T forget about us?

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps its time MS and Nokia make their devices unbranded for the US market so ATT can get out of the way

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
what if they said next January, would you say, ah well they promised end of January

For this update? No, that would be too much. But September isn't January, and September isn't horrendously late. I'm not going to die, nor is my phone going to spontaneously combust, if I have to wait until September. It's all about perspective; we're talking about an OS update for our smartphones, not the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. All this gnashing of teeth and cursing AT&T seems a little excessive to me.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ye gads.

Current 920 owners fall into two categories: those who are ineligible for upgrade because they haven't even had their phone a full year, and those who bought their phone off-contract and wouldn't buy an on-contract phone anyway. Neither group are prime candidates for 925 sales, so it does AT&T no good to delay 920 updates in the hopes it would drive 920 users to the 925. Or to the 1020, for that matter, for the same reasons.

Yes true, point taken... But what about the potential first time Windows Phone customer, who doesn't want to shell out all the clams for a 1020, will have the next step down choice of either a 920, with portico for $49, or the newer 925 with the highly publicized "Nokia Amber" for only 50 bucks more (with a 2year service plan of course)?

*sigh*
Idk... I bet as soon as I come up with the balls to flash this thing, then they'll have the update ready lol

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
For this update? No, that would be too much. But September isn't January, and September isn't horrendously late. I'm not going to die, nor is my phone going to spontaneously combust, if I have to wait until September. It's all about perspective; we're talking about an OS update for our smartphones, not the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. All this gnashing of teeth and cursing AT&T seems a little excessive to me.

Stir stir stir

Stir it up bump_stir_it3.jpg

All we can do is wait and hope Amber was as good as it was played up to be.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes true, point taken... But what about the potential first time Windows Phone customer, who doesn't want to shell out all the clams for a 1020, will have the next step down choice of either a 920, with portico for $49, or the newer 925 with the highly publicized "Nokia Amber" for only 50 bucks more (with a 2year service plan of course)?

*sigh*
Idk... I bet as soon as I come up with the balls to flash this thing, then they'll have the update ready lol

Haha yea, that's what I feel too! As soon as I flash it the update will be out the next day. Happens all the time! Ah well

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ed Boland said:
I bet as soon as I come up with the balls to flash this thing, then they'll have the update ready lol
Haha yea, that's what I feel too! As soon as I flash it the update will be out the next day. Happens all the time! Ah well

In that case...

...why don't you two just go ahead and flash the update so that I can get it from AT&T? :D

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But what about the potential first time Windows Phone customer, who doesn't want to shell out all the clams for a 1020, will have the next step down choice of either a 920, with portico for $49, or the newer 925 with the highly publicized "Nokia Amber" for only 50 bucks more (with a 2year service plan of course)?

Compared against the revenue lost from the 920 customers who bailed on AT&T for not pushing out Amber at all? AT&T might be a bunch of d*cks, but they're not stupid d*cks.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't see this as a large update so I am not going nuts. The features added are not ground breaking. I will say if they finally provided custom notifications, or really synced the xbox music/video from wp8 to w8 and xbox then maybe Id be griping a bit more.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

While I can't disagree with you at all. It is however ridiculous that att can't get us the update by now. I would even go as far to say that its all there fault as other carriers have already released the update. Really no excuse at this point.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It will come and it will go. Everybody will be happy and it will be forgotten quickly as well. It's like having to stop at a red light. You will curse and swear that it's always when you come here that this darn light is always red. The problem is that you just conveniently forgot the other 50% when this light was green. If it's really 90% of the time red then I'd try to find another route.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
AT&T does not want anything getting in the way when people are deciding whether or not to enter into a new two year contract. That is where their wireless revenue is, all of it. For every 100,000 customers that get a new contract and a 1GB data plan that is $22,800,000 they have for predictable revenue for the next two years.

Updating the 920 now might get in the way of the decision. They started accepting pre-orders yesterday and the phone will be released on Sept 13. If customers dig just a little deeper they will realize the 925 is inferior to the 920, no wireless charging and 16GB of memory with no SD slot. But, it is new so it has to be better.

This is why we wait. I will guess Amber does not show up until at least a few days after the 925 is released.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
AT&T does not want anything getting in the way when people are deciding whether or not to enter into a new two year contract. That is where their wireless revenue is, all of it. For every 100,000 customers that get a new contract and a 1GB data plan that is $22,800,000 they have for predictable revenue for the next two years.

Updating the 920 now might get in the way of the decision. They started accepting pre-orders yesterday and the phone will be released on Sept 13. If customers dig just a little deeper they will realize the 925 is inferior to the 920, no wireless charging and 16GB of memory with no SD slot. But, it is new so it has to be better.

This is why we wait. I will guess Amber does not show up until at least a few days after the 925 is released.

You could have MAYBE made this argument with the 1020, but basically no one is going to start a new contract to go from the 920 to the 925.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong but aren't both phones priced about the same? So if money is made on contract, why would there care which phone you get (esp. if 920 owners aren't eligible for upgrade like iamtim said).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss