Unlocked AT&T 920 on T-Mobile prepaid, only getting EDGE data

anon(5336015)

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I just switched my AT&T Lumia 920 to T-Mobile last night. I'm signed up for the $30/month prepaid plan with unlimited data and 100 voice minutes.

Everything seems to be working OK, except that I'm getting EDGE data (0.23 Mbps download).

The T-Mobile coverage map makes it look like I should be able to get 4G coverage, which makes sense since I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh that usually gets good coverage from all of the providers.

I did try adding an Internet APN of epc.tmobile.com, which didn't make a difference. Also tried stepping outside my house, but not driving around.

Are there any other settings I need to tweak?

Are prepaid plans crippled with EDGE speeds? The T-Mobile website claims the first 5GB are available at 4G speeds, then you get throttled back.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read the thread linked above, but my understanding is that beyond Edge, T-Mobile and AT&T use different bands. So... you won't get anything above Edge.

That could be dated information and I could be wrong, though.

anon(5336015)

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read the thread linked above, but my understanding is that beyond Edge, T-Mobile and AT&T use different bands. So... you won't get anything above Edge.

That could be dated information and I could be wrong, though.

It's still a little confusing, but I think you're mostly right. Sounds like T-Mobile LTE will work just fine, but between EDGE and LTE the frequencies are mostly incompatible. T-Mobile is gradually converting its network to frequencies that work with AT&T phones, but the updates must not have hit my area yet.

I can live with slow data for a 66% reduction in my wireless bills, though. Especially since I have wifi available most of the day!

homieson89

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dont worry i have a ATT unlocked Lumia 920, $50 tmobile plan, Living in Chicago, getting LTE.( also with an ATT unlocked Lumia 820)
The thing is that you have to wait til tmobile upgrades its towers to the lumia's antennae bands, it may take a while.

Pheno.menon

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the international edition 920 on tmobile in San Jose, our area's been refarmed so most places i get hspa signal. I know the LTE won't work on mine though because tmo uses band 4 and this edition comes with band 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs