11-06-2013 12:49 AM
299 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Reverse engineering embedded device firmware

Try this to repack the firmware hope it will work and you can share the firmware with us
    09-07-2013 01:25 PM
    Tell me how.
    Haha, even I don't know how, but I don't think if that's even possible with this platform.. Sorry for the dumb post, I was just optimistic :P.

Otherwise, do you experience any speed-up of the system? How is the battery management, if you can report about that?
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-07-2013 01:27 PM
    09-07-2013 01:31 PM
    India se ho?
    09-07-2013 02:17 PM
    I believe you should just enjoy your device for now
    09-07-2013 02:17 PM
    Many of the comments in the article on the main page are about people upset that there is an 'X' to close the app rather than swiping down. Seriously, people are upset that they have to tap an 'X'...

Sometimes it's good to take a break from reading comments.
    09-07-2013 02:42 PM
    Well it is a lame update, I really hope he just got the early stage of GDR3 because there is literally nothing to look forward too in this update besides a little 'X'.
    09-07-2013 02:59 PM
    Well it is a lame update, I really hope he just got the early stage of GDR3 because there is literally nothing to look forward too in this update besides a little 'X'.
    That's all relative and honestly, I'm not sure why people have such high hopes for these updates. We explained that the main focus of the GDR update series is for new hardware support for OEM partners with a few new features for current users.

It's only in people's heads where they build these up to be so huge. It's like GDR2, everyone is complaining that they don't have it and yet there's really not too much to it either, yet the drama that surrounds is off the charts (especially the AT&T crowd).

The point is, a lot of the changes are subtle but they do impact user experience. I personally don't pay attention to a lot of comments though because the hardcore users, while relevant, are in the minority. Everyone's personal gripe against the OS magically becomes the "must have missing feature that is preventing the OS from taking the lead!". It's just hyperbole and overreaction. (I especially chuckle when the "Where's lossless playback!?" folks, all two of 'em, sound off each time a new update comes out).
    09-07-2013 03:11 PM
    GDR3 is about enabling new hardware alright. But Nokia's firmware update is usually filled with goodies.

@XS2K : Does the glance screen have any notifications? Also, is there any improvement on the Speech recognition side (offline recognition) ?
    09-07-2013 03:25 PM
    GDR3 is about enabling new hardware alright. But Nokia's firmware update is usually filled with goodies.

@XS2K : Does the glance screen have any notifications?
    This is a good point actually. Everybody is focussing on GDR3 but nobody has thought to ponder what could come with Bittersweet Shimmer.
    SanjitVignesh likes this.
    09-07-2013 03:28 PM
    Wow my Lumia 920 doesn't even have gdr2 yet .so I guess I'll be seeing this update probably late 2014 maybe 2015 at att rate
    09-07-2013 03:39 PM
    I think it's likely that since Microsoft now owns Nokia (well in part) that most of the features found in the Lumia lines will become a standard part of the os as a whole and eliminate brand priority given to Nokia since the Microsoft-Nokia partnership started.
    09-07-2013 03:54 PM

@XS2K : Does the glance screen have any notifications? Also, is there any improvement on the Speech recognition side (offline recognition) ?
    Yes it does.
    09-07-2013 03:58 PM
    I think it's likely that since Microsoft now owns Nokia (well in part) that most of the features found in the Lumia lines will become a standard part of the os as a whole and eliminate brand priority given to Nokia since the Microsoft-Nokia partnership started.
    Or it could go the other way round, no exclusive features to any other OEM but Nokia
    09-07-2013 04:01 PM
    Or it could go the other way round, no exclusive features to any other OEM but Nokia
    It's possible but there is no financial benefits in Microsoft doing this since they need as many partners as possible and at the moment there aren't many to choose from, but it does make sense offering a universal experience across devices and allowing the hardware to speak volumes.
    09-07-2013 04:09 PM
    It's possible but there is no financial benefits in Microsoft doing this since they need as many partners as possible and at the moment there aren't many to choose from, but it does make sense offering a universal experience across devices and allowing the hardware to speak volumes.
    but since MS owns one of the OEMs (Nokia) now (or will own by 2014) they will try to promote Nokia more than anyone else. Why would they release something that's exclusive to their own company to other OEMs? Aren't the exclusive features that prompt buyers to choose their own? Well again these are just my views and I am pretty sure MS and Nokia will have something broader on their mind.
    09-07-2013 04:16 PM
    Xs2k, do u mean We could See notificatons Like missed calls or sms notification on glance screen, When screen is off? That Would be Amazing..

And xs2k Can u plz check IE, is There an page forward Button ?
    09-07-2013 04:17 PM
    Is there any file manager....?
    09-07-2013 04:18 PM
    Given the size of GDR2 and GDR3, you'd think they'd release these quicker or make them larger. Bit disappointed. Hopefully 8.1 will bring some new big features to the table.
    09-07-2013 04:30 PM
    but since MS owns one of the OEMs (Nokia) now (or will own by 2014) they will try to promote Nokia more than anyone else. Why would they release something that's exclusive to their own company to other OEMs? Aren't the exclusive features that prompt buyers to choose their own? Well again these are just my views and I am pretty sure MS and Nokia will have something broader on their mind.
    Just to note, Microsoft did not buy Nokia, only most of the Devices and Services division (feature phones and smartphones, Asha brand) and does not own any rights to Nokia brand. Nokia is leasing branding rights to Microsoft with a 10 year lease to use Nokia brand in their feature phones running Series 30 and Series 40 platforms. However, it seems Microsoft has no rights to use Nokia brand in Windows Phones / smartphones. Nokia is free to use Nokia brand in smartphones again in 2016. Microsoft will probably start calling their smartphones something like Lumia Phone or even Surface Phone.

Phones were only about half of Nokia's business, there's still NSN network business and Here location services, and of course the huge patent portfolio :-)
    09-07-2013 04:56 PM
    Given the size of GDR2 and GDR3, you'd think they'd release these quicker or make them larger. Bit disappointed. Hopefully 8.1 will bring some new big features to the table.
    Look at the positive side, Gdr3 at least has useful features, gdr2 was just about new devices and some tweaked hardware/software capabilities
    09-07-2013 04:58 PM
    Hi xs2k,

did you have a chance to test if the multitasking is now improved so that apps on the background don't lose their network connection? For example does SSH or IRC connections die if you switch away from the app to IE or some other app?
    09-07-2013 04:59 PM
    Xs2k, do u mean We could See notificatons Like missed calls or sms notification on glance screen, When screen is off? That Would be Amazing..

And xs2k Can u plz check IE, is There an page forward Button ?
    You can already see notifications on glance, at least I can
    09-07-2013 05:00 PM
    Many of the comments in the article on the main page are about people upset that there is an 'X' to close the app rather than swiping down. Seriously, people are upset that they have to tap an 'X'...

Sometimes it's good to take a break from reading comments.
    I'm sure that this is not the final build and there are more features to be added.
    Dont expect anything big though
    09-07-2013 05:05 PM
    09-07-2013 05:11 PM
299 ... 45678 ...