My Developer Edition Lumia 920 running GDR3 - Lumia Bittersweet Shimmer

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It's possible but there is no financial benefits in Microsoft doing this since they need as many partners as possible and at the moment there aren't many to choose from, but it does make sense offering a universal experience across devices and allowing the hardware to speak volumes.
but since MS owns one of the OEMs (Nokia) now (or will own by 2014) they will try to promote Nokia more than anyone else. Why would they release something that's exclusive to their own company to other OEMs? Aren't the exclusive features that prompt buyers to choose their own? Well again these are just my views and I am pretty sure MS and Nokia will have something broader on their mind.

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Xs2k, do u mean We could See notificatons Like missed calls or sms notification on glance screen, When screen is off? That Would be Amazing..

And xs2k Can u plz check IE, is There an page forward Button ?

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Given the size of GDR2 and GDR3, you'd think they'd release these quicker or make them larger. Bit disappointed. Hopefully 8.1 will bring some new big features to the table.

dreamwizwp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
but since MS owns one of the OEMs (Nokia) now (or will own by 2014) they will try to promote Nokia more than anyone else. Why would they release something that's exclusive to their own company to other OEMs? Aren't the exclusive features that prompt buyers to choose their own? Well again these are just my views and I am pretty sure MS and Nokia will have something broader on their mind.

Just to note, Microsoft did not buy Nokia, only most of the Devices and Services division (feature phones and smartphones, Asha brand) and does not own any rights to Nokia brand. Nokia is leasing branding rights to Microsoft with a 10 year lease to use Nokia brand in their feature phones running Series 30 and Series 40 platforms. However, it seems Microsoft has no rights to use Nokia brand in Windows Phones / smartphones. Nokia is free to use Nokia brand in smartphones again in 2016. Microsoft will probably start calling their smartphones something like Lumia Phone or even Surface Phone.

Phones were only about half of Nokia's business, there's still NSN network business and Here location services, and of course the huge patent portfolio :)

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Given the size of GDR2 and GDR3, you'd think they'd release these quicker or make them larger. Bit disappointed. Hopefully 8.1 will bring some new big features to the table.
Look at the positive side, Gdr3 at least has useful features, gdr2 was just about new devices and some tweaked hardware/software capabilities

dreamwizwp

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi xs2k,

did you have a chance to test if the multitasking is now improved so that apps on the background don't lose their network connection? For example does SSH or IRC connections die if you switch away from the app to IE or some other app?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Many of the comments in the article on the main page are about people upset that there is an 'X' to close the app rather than swiping down. Seriously, people are upset that they have to tap an 'X'...

Sometimes it's good to take a break from reading comments.
I'm sure that this is not the final build and there are more features to be added.
Dont expect anything big though

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Fade_z@ Hows that possible? Because I have latest updates not gdr3, and I still don't have notifications on glance, can u plz post an picture about notifications on glance screen? Missed calls or smss

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Xs2k that was amazing video, and that notifications on glance sms notification is the one I asked, amazing thank u so much and awesome update, can u plz check does internet explorer have forward button?

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
That's all relative and honestly, I'm not sure why people have such high hopes for these updates. We explained that the main focus of the GDR update series is for new hardware support for OEM partners with a few new features for current users.

It's only in people's heads where they build these up to be so huge. It's like GDR2, everyone is complaining that they don't have it and yet there's really not too much to it either, yet the drama that surrounds is off the charts (especially the AT&T crowd).

The point is, a lot of the changes are subtle but they do impact user experience. I personally don't pay attention to a lot of comments though because the hardcore users, while relevant, are in the minority. Everyone's personal gripe against the OS magically becomes the "must have missing feature that is preventing the OS from taking the lead!". It's just hyperbole and overreaction. (I especially chuckle when the "Where's lossless playback!?" folks, all two of 'em, sound off each time a new update comes out).

True, but as a former IOS user, I am just not as impressed. Apple always comes big with their updates, and every device gets it the exact same day(excluding developer devices), most IOS users won't be like me and switch to this OS because it looks different and because they were in love with the OS. I just wish they would bring us better updates. I know they are just getting to be in the REAL smartphone business,but the updates don't get me as excited as the yearly iOS updates get me. I don't even want much, just simple features like either an accurate minutely update battery percent tile or just a percent on the battery icon. Maybe a speed dial? Notification center? Simple things like these would actually make me happy before they got into the real updates. I love my Windows Phone, but somethings are just making me regret my decision. Windows Phone has potential but it has not yet reached kinetic energy(used something I learned in physics!!). If they added better things I would enjoy my windows phone a lot more. I already had to keep my iPod touch to compliment my gaming needs, but unfortunately apple decided not to give iPod 4g IOS 7. Some things just make me wish that I cut a few more lawns to get an iPhone 4 or 4s.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
True, but as a former IOS user, I am just not as impressed. Apple always comes big with their updates, and every device gets it the exact same day(excluding developer devices), most IOS users won't be like me and switch to this OS because it looks different and because they were in love with the OS. I just wish they would bring us better updates. I know they are just getting to be in the REAL smartphone business,but the updates don't get me as excited as the yearly iOS updates get me. I don't even want much, just simple features like either an accurate minutely update battery percent tile or just a percent on the battery icon. Maybe a speed dial? Notification center? Simple things like these would actually make me happy before they got into the real updates. I love my Windows Phone, but somethings are just making me regret my decision. Windows Phone has potential but it has not yet reached kinetic energy(used something I learned in physics!!). If they added better things I would enjoy my windows phone a lot more. I already had to keep my iPod touch to compliment my gaming needs, but unfortunately apple decided not to give iPod 4g IOS 7. Some things just make me wish that I cut a few more lawns to get an iPhone 4 or 4s.

I'm pretty sure that Apple does small updates to patch a few holes and squash a few bugs. These GDR updates are no different than that. Look at the jump between WP7 and 7.5, and then 7.5 and 8--major updates that came roughly about a year apart. Apple and Android don't have more than one major update per year, so I'm not sure why everyone expects that Microsoft should. Judge MS's update cycle by updates like WP8.1, not the GDR updates.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey xs2k, thanks for all the info, please check the following for me when you have time:

-Email a full 8.7MP picture to yourself using your Lumia. Check the email to see if you got the full resolution picture or a downsized one.
-If you have T-Mobile (AT&T does not support SMS Delivery Reports), go to Messaging Settings and enable SMS Delivery Report. Send an SMS, the delivery report is still from 1999? Meaning you are getting a separate message from the Service Center?
-Email or text a couple of links to yourself, youtube video, twitter tweet, facebook link. Any changes to the program default manager or everything still opens into the browser? (assuming you have installed a twitter client, a youtube program etc.)
-Try to download an .exe file (or any other file not supported from WP) from the mobile IE, does it download it or you are still getting an error message saying for phone is not compatible with this file?

Last time I discuss these issues with some friends from the Nokia WP team they told me they were aware of these issues and likely these specific stuff will be fixed in WP 8.1, I am curious if they downscale and throw some fixes in the GDR3/Bittersweet Shimmer update.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss