My Developer Edition Lumia 920 running GDR3 - Lumia Bittersweet Shimmer

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey xs2k...can you open dialer and see if it supports smart dial ?
When you search something on your email server and press the back button, does it go back fast or does it take 5-10seconds of 'catching up' ?

thanks for the updates/videos.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Apple does small updates to patch a few holes and squash a few bugs. These GDR updates are no different than that. Look at the jump between WP7 and 7.5, and then 7.5 and 8--major updates that came roughly about a year apart. Apple and Android don't have more than one major update per year, so I'm not sure why everyone expects that Microsoft should. Judge MS's update cycle by updates like WP8.1, not the GDR updates.
Apple doesn't make such a big deal about their little updates a little update will just come it isn't built up excitement, your just using your device one day and it says new system update install now or something like that. Unlike GDR2 and GDR3 where it is all being anticipated and waited for just to get small features.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Apple doesn't make such a big deal about their little updates a little update will just come it isn't built up excitement, your just using your device one day and it says new system update install now or something like that. Unlike GDR2 and GDR3 where it is all being anticipated and waited for just to get small features.

Microsoft isn't the one that's hyping up these updates though, the users are. Microsoft has stated from the outset that the GDRs are just maintenance updates. They can't do anything about user's expectations.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
TThey expect that because wp8 is behind and want parity.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
They don't make a big deal about the minor updates because they don't add any features. They just fix bugs for the most part. The big deal is made for the yearly updates.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
^^
What do you mean by 1999?

I tried something similar and the delivery report came as a read only msg w/ the time

Original SMS Delivery Reports, started in mid 1990s by sending you back a separate SMS from your provider's Messaging Service Center, providing you with information, usually a delivery confirmation status (delivered or pending) with the delivery time of your SMS. This is how Windows Phone OS is handling SMS Delivery Reports today lool.
From 2001 until today, smartphones, even feature phones just display a little checkmark next to your SMS meaning your SMS was delivered, or other icon representing the Pending/Failed or Expire status... Depending the OS and the manufacturer you may get different icons or sequence, like one checkmark for send, two checkmarks for delivered etc, but you get the idea.

EricMarsi

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Original SMS Delivery Reports, started in mid 1990s by sending you back a separate SMS from your provider's Messaging Service Center, providing you with information, usually a delivery confirmation status (delivered or pending) with the delivery time of your SMS. This is how Windows Phone OS is handling SMS Delivery Reports today lool.
From 2001 until today, smartphones, even feature phones just display a little checkmark next to your SMS meaning your SMS was delivered, or other icon representing the Pending/Failed or Expire status... Depending the OS and the manufacturer you may get different icons or sequence, like one checkmark for send, two checkmarks for delivered etc, but you get the idea.
I miss back on windows phone 7 (HTC Trophy) I used to get the sms delivery notification under the same text field. now i get a seperate thing that just clutters my messaging inbox. They should also not make the notification show up as a new text, but liek you said as a check mark or something.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple always comes big with their updates, and every device gets it the exact same day.

That's not really true. Apple releases maintenance releases during the year just like these GDR releases from Microsoft.

The timing is the only benefit, but... important to note that they strong-armed carriers for that right AND the limited hardware scope/variance to support AND control of the entire process -- something MSFT is looking to address by buying Nokia.

A couple other caveats...

1. How many major updates practically cripple previous iPhone models?

2. How many times does Apple break something in those major releases like Wi-Fi, Exchange support, or time changes?

Daniel has a point... GDRs are like service packs not feature packs.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft isn't the one that's hyping up these updates though, the users are. Microsoft has stated from the outset that the GDRs are just maintenance updates. They can't do anything about user's expectations.
Exactly, but with all the different leaks and the other sources stating features it gets you kinda excited anticipating these things to come true. As Daniel said they are worried about volume, but not as much as pleasing current customers. They start making each update wrap around new phones. GDR2 is wrapped around the Nokia 1020 and GDR3 is mainly wrapped around the phablet devices. They make all the update pretty much for the new users and throw some small crap in for the old users to appease us for a little while. They are focused too much on Quantity when they need to focus on quality. Apple has like 6 iPhone generations. Windows Phone has way more than that, mainly that is because Nokia is making the phones, but Microsoft should stop worrying about adding features for new phones, and start making more features for existing phones to keep their consumers and attract more consumers. Maybe instead of having adding features for new phones a 80% priority while original phone features are a 20% priority they should make it 50-50%.

xs2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey xs2k...can you open dialer and see if it supports smart dial ?
When you search something on your email server and press the back button, does it go back fast or does it take 5-10seconds of 'catching up'

thanks for the updates/videos.

Seems fast. Since my email has personal info, I can't do a video of this...It's definitely fast.

Hey xs2k, thanks for all the info, please check the following for me when you have time:

-Email a full 8.7MP picture to yourself using your Lumia. Check the email to see if you got the full resolution picture or a downsized one.
-If you have T-Mobile (AT&T does not support SMS Delivery Reports), go to Messaging Settings and enable SMS Delivery Report. Send an SMS, the delivery report is still from 1999? Meaning you are getting a separate message from the Service Center?
-Email or text a couple of links to yourself, youtube video, twitter tweet, facebook link. Any changes to the program default manager or everything still opens into the browser? (assuming you have installed a twitter client, a youtube program etc.)
-Try to download an .exe file (or any other file not supported from WP) from the mobile IE, does it download it or you are still getting an error message saying for phone is not compatible with this file?

Last time I discuss these issues with some friends from the Nokia WP team they told me they were aware of these issues and likely these specific stuff will be fixed in WP 8.1, I am curious if they downscale and throw some fixes in the GDR3/Bittersweet Shimmer update.

-Downsized (annoying - I know)
-Not completely sure of your question, but when sms delivery is turned on, you get a notification. It is a separate message. See picture.
wp_ss_20130907_0008.png
-Youtube links open from the web. (also annoying)
-file not supported, so it doesn't download.

Xs2k that was amazing video, and that notifications on glance sms notification is the one I asked, amazing thank u so much and awesome update, can u plz check does internet explorer have forward button?

No forward Button... :(

Lol.!! Ssup with Psy hating Apple?

Not hating, only a joke! lol

I'll be back later and put all the questions together. If you want to see anything on video, please list it for me. Will probably be the last video I make. Overall, I am definitely enjoying this phone. Seems very fast and battery is great. The AT&T Lumia 920 on T-Mobile had cr@p battery life, but it did have LTE on T-Mobile. This one doesn't. I'm willing to bet that also helps with battery life, but overall, I don't have to charge mid-day on heavy use.

Does the developer edition 920 have LTE? I tried changing all the APNs (fast.tmobile.com) and no LTE. When using that, it also breaks my MMS.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems fast. Since my email has personal info, I can't do a video of this...It's definitely fast.

that's awesome thanks.

Can you look for the smart dial feature on the phone dialer ? (Open dialer and start typing a contact name on the number keypad...does it show your contact ?)

thanks again.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Apple releases maintenance releases during the year just like these GDR releases from Microsoft.
Of course, the difference here is that all indications point to 8.1 being released sometime in the first half of 2014. GDR3 is following up 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0 schedule-wise, so appropriately has some expectations placed on it. The 8.1 release date also raises quite a few questions regarding the future of Windows Phone updating - will Microsoft try to get back onto holiday releases in future, perhaps even do major releases every half (would make sense with Nokia's current strategy of devices every quarter), or scale back to twice every three years?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)