My Theory On The Delayed Amber Update

Wilsen Hernandez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
^it's true. look at the Lumia 920. international version is RM-820 and AT&T's is RM-821. international supports penta-band LTE with no support for AT&T's band while regional gets only tri-band LTE but all those bands are AT&T's. so the sim-free version wouldn't have LTE in NA.
My unbranded 920 is RM-821 and at Field Test settings it shows 5 bands for LTE.. How's that?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
^it's true. look at the Lumia 920. international version is RM-820 and AT&T's is RM-821. international supports penta-band LTE with no support for AT&T's band while regional gets only tri-band LTE but all those bands are AT&T's. so the sim-free version wouldn't have LTE in NA.

nothing prevents any phone maker from making a phone that supports the necessary bands for where it is sold.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
They also have the power to remove features from OS, for example Data Sense, which is actually what we have already paid for. Or maybe at the time when we decided to purchase an AT&T phone/service, we were doomed to be treated unequally. I hate that AT&T always exercises their "power" to limit what their user can get from what is available.

hey Verizon did the same thing, that's why when I had my wp7 I left them no visual voicemail and no wireless tethering...remember the grass is always greener on the other side...because it gets more manure...att has been such a better supporter of the windows phone, it was worth leaving.

WPBlox1989

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
James8561 mixed-up the RM numbers for the AT&T and international versions of the Lumia 920.

RM-820 is the AT&T Lumia 920 and RM-821 is the international version.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
it is not their ******* choice whether or not to support it! Google sells Nexus 4 just fine!

It is their choice.

They can just say that they won't market Windows Phone at all.

Nokia tried doing that stuff before. More bands that worked on multiple carriers. Dual SIMs. And guess what? Carriers in the US stopped subsidizing Nokia smart phones.

...and then Nokia seemed to just... disappear.

bglf83

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nokia did not due business in the USA because of a lawsuit that had something to do with cell radios and copy right crap. That's why they disappeared for a while.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Once again, Google has PROVEN there is a market for phones sold to people who violently will not be part of the carrier scheme. These are customers that the carrier never will get, so to simply say they don't support it or don't approve simply means nothing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia did not due business in the USA because of a lawsuit that had something to do with cell radios and copy right crap. That's why they disappeared for a while.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

They were still doing business here. Just not selling through carriers

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Once again, Google has PROVEN there is a market for phones sold to people who violently will not be part of the carrier scheme. These are customers that the carrier never will get, so to simply say they don't support it or don't approve simply means nothing.

Not a bug enough market.

And Android is already well established here. The people buying the Nexus off contract are for the most part tinkerers that want to start with a nice clean slate. They're also Android fans.

Nokia doesn't have that here.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
. The people buying the Nexus off contract are for the most part tinkerers that want to start with a nice clean slate. They're also Android fans.

Nokia doesn't have that here.

you don't know that. If the phones are sold at full price, who cares how many they sell? The carriers won't because they pose no competition to them otherwise.

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
MS needs to do what google is doing make part of the OS an app so we can download from the market like make data sense an app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon