09-12-2013 12:22 AM
42 12
tools
    Why is it taking AT&T so long to update us poor 920 owners? Why did Verizon get theirs shipped with their phone?

Maybe, it's because AT&T is had just recently rolled out that sweet Nokia 1020 with that sweet Pro Cam, video editing app, among other things and would like all of you cheap bastards to give up waiting, and drop some money on that shiny 1020? Not giving up your hard earned cash? AT&T can wait. Eventually, most of you will break, and feed the beast. So, they may just "test" it for a few months. Maybe by then, you'll either work second job to buy the 1020, convince your wife/husband to upgrade to the 1020 to give to you while taking your hand-me-down 920, or have sold your 920 to offset the cost.

That's my theory at least. This coming from a guy that couldn't wait one more month for the 1020 to ship. Sigh...
    rdubmu, iboypx and James8561 like this.
    09-07-2013 02:35 AM
    If your theory is correct, it would not help customer loyalty towards AT&T.
    09-07-2013 12:10 PM
    AT&T isn't the only slow release carrier. Here in the UK EE was the exclusive carrier but they are the last to release the update. Bottom line is, carriers should have zero to do with updates. Unfortunately MS is too small a player.
    anon7989605 and ajj3085 like this.
    09-07-2013 12:14 PM
    Why is it taking AT&T so long to update us poor 920 owners? Why did Verizon get theirs shipped with their phone?

Maybe, it's because AT&T is had just recently rolled out that sweet Nokia 1020 with that sweet Pro Cam, video editing app, among other things and would like all of you cheap bastards to give up waiting, and drop some money on that shiny 1020? Not giving up your hard earned cash? AT&T can wait. Eventually, most of you will break, and feed the beast. So, they may just "test" it for a few months. Maybe by then, you'll either work second job to buy the 1020, convince your wife/husband to upgrade to the 1020 to give to you while taking your hand-me-down 920, or have sold your 920 to offset the cost.

That's my theory at least. This coming from a guy that couldn't wait one more month for the 1020 to ship. Sigh...
    Have you bugged my house?!?!
    rdubmu, Idan Cohen and Witness like this.
    AT&T isn't the only slow release carrier. Here in the UK EE was the exclusive carrier but they are the last to release the update. Bottom line is, carriers should have zero to do with updates. Unfortunately MS is too small a player.
    Carriers will always have something to do with updates. They need to brand them.
    Carriers will always have something to do with updates. They need to brand them.
    F*ck their branding or get MS to do it for them. Also, that isn't want we're talking about here some carriers don't release updates at all. Why should they have that kind of power. Can you tell me it's their branding?
    09-07-2013 12:25 PM
    F*ck their branding or get MS to do it for them. Also, that isn't want we're talking about here some carriers don't release updates at all. Why should they have that kind of power. Can you tell me it's their branding?
    They also have the power to remove features from OS, for example Data Sense, which is actually what we have already paid for. Or maybe at the time when we decided to purchase an AT&T phone/service, we were doomed to be treated unequally. I hate that AT&T always exercises their "power" to limit what their user can get from what is available.
    09-07-2013 12:53 PM
    At this point, screw em. I'll just update using a different ROM from now on, as I did to get GDR2. I'm done waiting in these jerks.
    09-07-2013 01:38 PM
    Or seeing than GDR3 is coming up. maybe they will just push that instead.
    thomas wojcik likes this.
    09-07-2013 02:30 PM
    I've moved over to the UK CV firmware and got Amber/GDR2 on Monday. EE are about the most customer unfriendly bunch of liars I've ever had the mis-pleasure of dealing with.

My theory on the delay is simple unwillingness to commit resource to testing the new firmware on their network. They'd much rather spend resources on finding the next way they'll screw their customers.
    Del1701 likes this.
    09-07-2013 02:50 PM
    I've moved over to the UK CV firmware and got Amber/GDR2 on Monday. EE are about the most customer unfriendly bunch of liars I've ever had the mis-pleasure of dealing with.

My theory on the delay is simple unwillingness to commit resource to testing the new firmware on their network. They'd much rather spend resources on finding the next way they'll screw their customers.
    That sound strikingly similar to my college's administration.
    09-07-2013 02:57 PM
    I actually just talked to retention and he said they didn't start testing till the 30th of last month. So, they will have it out within a. Couple weeks.
    rdubmu likes this.
    09-07-2013 02:59 PM
    Easy tiger. There's no way they'd let MS do it for them and vice versa, there's no way MS would agree to do it for them...unless it was part of a deal perhaps.

I appreciate yours and other people's frustration though. It felt like 3 users had to wait an age to get the update too. The carriers emphasis is about selling handsets/contracts. Support, customer service and satisfaction follow behind...sometimes way behind.
    09-07-2013 03:02 PM
    I still don't have GDR2. Carriers suck. Way too much power. They do nothing but screw the customer over. I made the mistake of buying a locked phone because the unlocked was 100+. I won't make that mistake again.
    09-07-2013 03:58 PM

Actually, like EE UK, I'm betting on these cuntpanies have edited the updates for their own branding purposes.
    09-07-2013 06:13 PM
    Simple fact is carriers like ATT and EE are Nokia's / Microsoft's customers , they buy the handsets and have exclusive deals to buy stock and sell . So they do dictate certain terms.
    09-07-2013 06:46 PM
    This almost makes me want to sell my device and get a Nexus.....this is insane on this unnecessary holdup....
    09-07-2013 07:00 PM
    It is time for Microsoft to start selling sim free phones in north America. I can get a sim free phone from Google, why can't I get one from Microsoft? Do not reply with the carriers won't support it, that is complete and utter *************
    anon7989605 likes this.
    09-07-2013 07:19 PM
    It is time for Microsoft to start selling sim free phones in north America. I can get a sim free phone from Google, why can't I get one from Microsoft? Do not reply with the carriers won't support it, that is complete and utter *************
    The carriers won't support it.
    troylytle likes this.
    09-07-2013 07:28 PM
    ^it's true. look at the Lumia 920. international version is RM-820 and AT&T's is RM-821. international supports penta-band LTE with no support for AT&T's band while regional gets only tri-band LTE but all those bands are AT&T's. so the sim-free version wouldn't have LTE in NA.
    09-07-2013 07:48 PM
    why does this deserve a separate thread when we already discussed all this here?
    09-07-2013 07:52 PM
    ^it's true. look at the Lumia 920. international version is RM-820 and AT&T's is RM-821. international supports penta-band LTE with no support for AT&T's band while regional gets only tri-band LTE but all those bands are AT&T's. so the sim-free version wouldn't have LTE in NA.
    My unbranded 920 is RM-821 and at Field Test settings it shows 5 bands for LTE.. How's that?
    09-07-2013 07:56 PM
    The carriers won't support it.
    it is not their ******* choice whether or not to support it! Google sells Nexus 4 just fine!
    09-07-2013 09:44 PM
    My unbranded 920 is RM-821 and at Field Test settings it shows 5 bands for LTE.. How's that?
    where did you buy it?
    09-07-2013 09:46 PM
    nothing prevents any phone maker from making a phone that supports the necessary bands for where it is sold.
    09-07-2013 09:47 PM
42 12