Is poor battery performance enough to drive you away from Windowsphone and the Lumia 920/1020?

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
yes and NO, when ever I get pissed that I only get 3 hrs out the phone I start cursing and go back to my HTC ONE, it only takes couple of hrs to realize that WP is better(and charge the phone and switch back) and I should stick it out until MS or Nokia fixes the issue. I believe the issue is with the kernel or something very intricate with in the OS, which is why they are waiting till 8.1 to fix it, I just cant find any other reason as to why they are waiting too long to fix this battery draining problem. Nokia or MS haven't commented on this(that I know of) which is why I was hoping it would quietly be fixed with GDR2 but it wasn't, which then lead me to the above statement.

suck it up and wait till 8.1 it should only be another 6 months or so :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No, battery sometimes sucks but otherwise the phone is great.

I'm sure some apps do cause the OS to drain badly. This week my phones been pretty good, got 20 hours one day. Get a battery app that notifies you when high drain is occurring, then reboot the phone when that happens.

LewLew23

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Definitely not. Without my camera grip, my 1020 gets a days worth of use. With it, I get almost double that time. Granted, it's my 2nd phone with my Z10 being my primary phone, it's good enough to me.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know enough about how the Windows phones work to say much, but I do know that on my old Blackberry you had to turn the GPS on and off manually. When you turned it on, it pretty much cut the battery life in half. As others have suggested your battery life may be getting eaten up by some background app(s) using location services.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 920 for four months now, used an 810 before it. On Friday and Sunday, my battery was crap, but that's unusual as I've usually been getting at least a good day's worth of battery life. I charged my 920 on Sunday evening and ended up going a day and around two hours before charging again (it was at 18% when I put it on the charger at midnight last night). I came from an iPhone 4 that had really good battery life when it was running iOS 5, but since upping to iOS 6, that changed and the battery began draining faster. So, no, I don't think I would switch from my current phone or leave the WP platform at all. In fact, I'm considering getting a yellow 1020 at some point in the future if Rogers gets it (my 920 is an unlocked Rogers on T-Mobile).

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm amazed at what you say. As you've got all the uses 'off' it sounds as though it might be a faulty battery.

Can you change your unit under warranty? I have the same phone and mine is great, even better (non scientific assessment) after the recent GDR2 update.

I'd get a shop to assess it before swapping it.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how old your 920 is, but Lithium Ion batteries have a pretty short shelf life, even if all they are doing is sitting there. I've read anywhere from 1 to 3 years, and they start aging the day they are made. I've experienced this buying old batteries for my laptop from dealers who let them sit around too long. Have you tried another battery? Sometimes even when you buy a new battery, its been sitting on the shelf a year or two, so you have to be careful where you buy it, as well. Probably best to buy from a dealer that has a high turnover.

Last edited:

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
We have two 920s in the house and wouldn't change either of them for something else. Both phones can go a day and a half between charges, although we generally just charge them every night. The rare time that we have had some funky battery drain simply doing a soft reset has solved the problem. Like someone else pointed out it seems that when that happens it is some random location/app thing has caused the problem. Generally speaking the only time we get heavier drain on the batteries is when using either Bluetooth or GPS functions.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My 920 was getting very bad battery life up until I replaced it last Sunday. My new 1020 is giving me over 2 days per charge. I'm very pleased.

Sakeeboy

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
My experience is some Apps (FB, FB Beta, Kik Msgr, Skype, Temple Run etc.) make phone HOT and it drains battery like CRAZY. Keeping location services ON all the time is BIG NO NO as most of the times the background tasks keep accessing it and phone runs warm. But if you quit those apps using back button and stop using phone for 5 mins, mine usually cools off and goes back to 1%/hour levels.

This is mostly Lumia 9x HW platform issue because 520, 620 HTC 8X folks don't seem to complain as much..

Finally if its under warranty it would make sense to get it replaced.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not; the various levels of drain suck, but not enough to make me want to go elsewhere. I like WP and I like the camera too much. I just make sure to have my Solio external battery nearby when I think I might not be able to charge via car or outlet.

For me I get the worst drain after I charge using the wireless charger (L920) and randomly when I'm in a different coverage area. It's weird, in one 4G area I had great battery life, but then in another 4G area I had awful drain. I mean, it was like twice as worse as when I'm in LTE, which is known to cause higher battery drain.

Charging on my PC via USB seems to give me the longest lasting charge of roughly 15 hours of decent use.

Settings: NFC off, Wifi off, BT off, battery saver allowed, brightness high without auto adjust, allowed background tasks: Enless Battery, Weather Channel, Bing Weather. Battery does not seem to affect performance at all as I was seeing the same percentages of decline before I got it, but got it mostly because I like the numeric display of battery status.

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I get 5,84% (basically one whole day 17h) on average as of the battery app, and I'm not conservative with the battery at all. I play games, take photos, share internet, playing music, navigate and a lot more, all with BT, Wifi, Positioning, NFC (all about 70% of the time) and probably more that I forget to turn off when not in use. I charge mainly with the wireless charger. I must have a superphone compared to some!

So no, I'm happy with the battery life so far.

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
My first l920 would heat up so much while playing games that it would actually discharge while plugged in.

As I learned from over clocking my android -No 2 CPUs are the same.
So I exchanged mine with Rogers and got a refurb that still heats up a bit but doesn't drain the same way.

I personally believe that wp8 overclocks the CPU to make up for it being a used up dual core. So when you get a phone with a lesser CPU and mix in an app that's CPU intensive or badly written, it drives up the heat and drains the hell out of the battery.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If battery life bothers me I just carry around a 6000MHz external battery thats small enough to Easley fit in my pocket, with a retractable cable...problem solved.

If my battery life is SOOO bad that I have to carry 4 external batteries...I wont ditch the os but rather use my warranty that I was promised when I handed over my hard earned cash... You should never be scared or reluctant to use your warranty, it's your friend that gives you unlimited free repairs (provided no physical or liquid damage)....I honestly don't understand why people just wont use their warranties. That's what they are there for. :smile:

Last edited:

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well its either gonna be the pathetic battery life due to the poorly optimized os/apps or the fact that wp8 looks all win95 compared to ioS7 when it comes to built in software features

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
If battery life bothers me I just carry around a 6000MHz external battery thats small enough to Easley fit in my pocket, with a retractable cable...problem solved.

If my battery life is SOOO bad that I have to carry 4 external batteries...I wont ditch the os but rather use my warranty that I was promised when I handed over my hard earned cash... You should never be scared or reluctant to use your warrant, it's your friend that gives you unlimited free repairs (provided no physical or liquid damage)....I honestly don't understand why people just wont use their warranties. That's what they are there for. :smile:

exactly.

I don't know why people keep giving tips like turn off NFC. ...well no. ...I paid for NFC, I'm gonna use NFC!

...oh wait, I've never used NFC. But that's not the point!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I get bad battery drain (10-12 hours), but normally I get 20+ hours. I leave everything on, including NFC, bluetooth,, skype, facebook, etc... Also, my usage consists of 50-100 texts a day, and I primarily use facebook, whatsapp, baconit and fuse, and IE which are pretty taxing.

Long story short, I think your device is bad. I unplug my phone at 9AM, plug it in at 1AM with 20-30% remaining.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have excellent battery life on both Lumia 920. Get through the day just fine. Disabled NFC and Suggestions in settings. Maybe I live in strong LTE area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre