Nokia Lumia 920 won?t accept SIM card

sican

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a SIM-free Nokia Lumia 920 from Amazon.co.uk (Sold by a GB limited company) and I can?t use my SIM card (Cyprus; Carrier: Cytamobile-Vodafone). I tried two different SIM cards (one was cut from MiniSIM to MicroSIM myself and after not getting cell reception I thought I destroyed it, so I cut it further to NanoSIM and inserted it in my iPhone 5 to find out that it?s working fine?). I am getting the attached screenshot:

wp_ss_20130919_0001.jpg

Some details from the About:
Carrier: CV GB
Software: Windows Phone 8.0
OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number: 1232.5957.1308.XXXX

I thought SIM-free means it?s unlocked, i.e. unbranded. What is going on?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the 920 needs to be microsim. I don't think you can convert nano to micro. At least you shouldn't. You can convert a regular SIM to micro though. I suggest getting an activated SIM that will work, and if that doesn't work in your phone, then maybe you bought the phone off contract, but not unlocked. It should be unlocked though.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I had to trim a couple edges on a self-cut T-Mobile sim so it would fit another phone. Since then, I sometimes get that message when I put that sim back in my 920. I have to power down, remove/reset the sim, and turn it back on. Usually works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sican

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can with a converter. I have that and the SIM that is nano (now) can be used as micro, but without luck on the 920.

I didn’t gash up the other SIM though. I purchased it in the store…

Thanks, pseudoware. I tried a soft reset, but will try to reset without the SIM as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Does someone else have a micro SIM you can try? I have a nano SIM I use in an iPhone 5 and a Lumia 520 (with an adapter) and it works great. It was cut from a micro SIM.

Sent from my Nexus 4

sican

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I will try to get hold of an original UK microSIM and see if it works. But my guess is that the SIM tray/reader—whatever you call it—might be faulty and not ready SIM cards properly. Could that be the case? Is there an internal way to check somehow?

I’m thinking whether I should send it for repair at Nokia or return the item to the seller for a refund…

I’d like to use the handset (not return it) since I’ve been waiting for a month to bring it in stock online (it’s the red Lumia 920).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos