3D printed Dt-900 Wireless charging night stand!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your support! I shipped the review unit to George Ponder. Hopefully we will see a review this weekend or early next week for those on the fence. I really enjoy my stand, and really missed it when I sprayed it with glossy enamel clear coat and let it dry for 24 hours. Once you use it, you wont know how you survived without it!

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
For those who were waiting for the review, its up!

Review: Nokia Wireless Charger stand by Gibbage | Windows Phone Central

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here.

Lots of people ripping on the cost of the device...it sucks, but that means there is the demand for you there.

Have you thought about a kick starter at all? There are a lot of people saying they'd get in at a $10 price point...and I saw you mention the cost of $10,000 to get into the injection game.

What if you had a kick starter and for a $25 package you got two stands....you'd need to move 400 to get your $10k... I don't think that would be a crazy point to reach...and if you don't reach it no harm no foul!

But what is included in that $10k number? What would it then cost if you wanted to injection mold your String 920 case? Another $10k or like $500?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, doing a kickstarter would be a LOT of work if it was successful. Lets say I get 2000 orders. That means I would need to re-design a product to allow extrusion molding, source a mold maker and manufacturer, have 2000+ made. Not only that, but I need 2000+ boxes, and ship 2000 individual packages. Also a kickstarter would need to cover the cost of the product (lets say 10$) plus cover the cost of the mold, boxes, and shipping (add another 10-15$ per). So your already back up to $25 each on kickstarter. In order to get the price down to $10, I would need to make tens of thousands, and I dont have the confidence in it.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
got mine through the post today, seems fine to me, the bottom isn't rubber on mine, maybe i have misread that bit, its a bit slippy when its on a polished surface so will need to put a non slip mat underneath or some feet or something, but does the trick perfectly, the dt-900 snaps into place grand, and the 920 charges instantly when i throw it on, stability is a non-issue!

if i was being SUPER fussy, two things.....1) gloss finish rather than powdery (but that may be a part of 3d printing, i have no idea) 2) i would say add an extra wire clip on the very back bottom base section so that the wire can run off and away clipped in and central for aesthetics, but i understand the way it is, means the cable can do its own thing and therefore less length gets taken up, but an option maybe for those who are OCD :)

cheers, gonna make looking at the clock a lot easier in the night! :smile:

p.s. a reason i think a lot of detractors are missing out, when they state you can buy the dt-9100, is that this way, it allows you the flexibility of always taking it out and having it back as the dt-900 - a two-in-one device if you will, with the 9100 you are stuck in one configuration

Attachments

• 2013-10-24-0570.jpg
    2013-10-24-0570.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2013-10-24-0571.jpg
    2013-10-24-0571.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2013-10-24-0572.jpg
    2013-10-24-0572.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20131024_202441_5mp_.jpg
    20131024_202441_5mp_.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 1
  • pic001.jpg
    pic001.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 3

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad you like it! The rubber feet are available at Home Depot or Lowes for $3. I cant include them with the product since Shapeways does not give me an address. What your looking for is "1/2 bumpers" and are found in the cabinetry section. They are the little bumpers to keep your draws and cabinets from slamming shut. Place 5 (one on each foot, and 1 under the mount) and your golden. Sorry I did not make it clear that these are not included. I will also look into your suggestion about adding a wire clip to the back.

As for glossy finish, you can buy a can of clear coat from Home Depot for 5$ and spray paint it. It takes about 3-5 coats, and you want to make each coat thin so it does not run when drying. Allow 30 mins between coats.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I could re-design the stand to use less material and maybe get it down to maybe $20-$25. I dont think it would look as nice, but it would be cheaper.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
home depot and lowes, :) now i know i am in the wrong country, hehe, thanks for the spec on the feet though, will see if i can source them somewhere in the uk - i think i have got some spray lacquer somewhere, might try it when i am feeling adventurous (not much of a DIY'er) :) - thanks gibbage

p.s. if you ever make a yellow one, i might buy another to match my phone.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
home depot and lowes, :) now i know i am in the wrong country, hehe, thanks for the spec on the feet though, will see if i can source them somewhere in the uk - i think i have got some spray lacquer somewhere, might try it when i am feeling adventurous (not much of a DIY'er) :) - thanks gibbage

p.s. if you ever make a yellow one, i might buy another to match my phone.

I found a supplier that can do yellow, but they want $100 per print. Yikes!

P.S. Since your on the wrong side of the globe, let me translate. What your looking for is 13MM bumpers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett